Friday, April 10, 2020

Adventures Around The Ranch

Before I take you all on the next great adventure ... and it was really something ... I took a walk around the ranch to see what may lie closer to home.

I was waiting for a big package from Chewy for the kids.  It's not that I didn't want them to get near me by asking they leave the packages here, I didn't want them to get near my latest exciting find.
As I walked out the front door (which I never do) I spotted this big mess hanging in the shrub by the edge of the walkway.  What?  I just pruned that tree.  What is this?  A nest full of worms???
Why no .... it's my first EVER hummingbird nest.  I've been looking for them everywhere with no luck.  I can't tell you how excited I was!!  I even discovered I can see the nest perfectly from my sewing room window so as not to disturb her.
Two days later .... lookie here!!!  TWO eggs!!  I don't see how such a tiny bird can lay such a big egg.    Know what's even more cool?  All that white stuff is Cooper's fur I trimmed off and hung in the palm tree out back.  They say it takes about 14 days for them to hatch.  I'll be watching every single day.
The Pink moon was truly fabulous, but I didn't see it at the horizon because of the clouds.  I can tell you it certainly did light up the neighborhood.  It was like having a night light on in the bedroom!
As I walked on around the house, this tree is now in full bloom with magnificent yellow pollen producing flowers that make me sneeze every morning.  It's worth every achoo!!
The birds have been out and about too.  I think this is a curved bill thrasher.  His orange eyes always get me.
I think this is a rose finch, but don't quote me on that.  He sings the prettiest song every morning.  I just love that so many creatures greet me every day.  Except for the spiders ... they can just go hide and never come out.
At long last, I've finished off that huge tub of ice cream.  No use being wasteful you know.  The problem was I couldn't make the ice cream and caramel sauce come out even.  A little more ice cream, oh darn ... too much, a little more sauce ... oh NO ... more ice cream.  And poof ... it was gone.
My only other adventure was canceling the order from Chewy.  AFTER it was on the truck to come to my house, they put up a note that it was being returned to sender.  WAIT ... that's my bird and dog food.  I need that!!  

I don't know what happened, maybe he drove over the boxes, but I couldn't wait another ten days for the replacement order.  Thirty five minutes waiting on the phone before someone answered.  That's crazy.  I cancelled the order and went to my local Petco where I was the only person in the store.  That was pretty nice, and I got everything I needed.  

So ... yesterday's adventure was over and above exciting as we headed to within a couple miles of the Mexican border down narrow dirt roads, hoping not to run into any drug cartel members.  You should have been there!!!  Pictures to come.







14 comments:

  1. What a great post today! Well, better than your normal great ones. :)
    Love the birds but that hummers nest and eggs are so awesome!Lucky you to have a 'birds-eye' view from an inside window. Not many people get to see that as we can't get close enough. I'm excited too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see the baby hummers. Mom is so cute sitting in the nest.

      Delete
  2. PetSmart owns Chewy, so "IF" they ask you why you canceled, just let them know you got everything you needed at PETCO, that will get under their skin.

    We use to have hummingbird nest in one of our homes in Sacramento when I was young...made the nest is a Bottlebrush bush by our front door. Mom loved watching the hummingbirds out the kitchen window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I read that somewhere. I'm always getting Petco and PetSmart mixed up.

      Delete
  3. With all the excitement on the home front you really don't need to hunt for anything exciting.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the hummers.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been rather an interesting affair. Hoping we are back to normal soon.

      Delete
  4. What luck and fun to have a hummingbird nest right outside a window. Will be looking forward to the pictures. Totally clouded over here never did get to see the pink moon rising. I still remember the first time we experienced the full moon parked out in the desert and how beautiful everything looked in its light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moon just seems to be closer when you're out in the desert.

      Delete
  5. I hope your hummers live long and fledge successfully. Theirs is such a precarious position. Be on guard against the road runners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, I told everyone about your hummers. I'm certainly going to keep an eye out for them. Hoping for the best.

      Delete
  6. Oh I love the hummingbird eggs! Can't wait to see the babies! Yes, definitely a problem getting the caramel sauce and ice cream just right LOL..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha ... you know about the ice cream of which I speak! LOL

      Delete
  7. How exciting that you have a hummingbird nest that you can see so easily! The nests are as cute as the birds themselves! I wonder if they reuse them the next year? If not, I would take the next and keep it in a display case of r something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea if they reuse nests Jeanette. I will certainly keep it if I find they do not. It's so tiny!!

      Delete