Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Road Trip!!!

After going completely crazy around here, and growing bigger by the minute sitting on the couch eating, the Chance household and I decided to go ghost town hunting.  Up to that time, the Arizona governor said to get out and enjoy the sunshine.  So we did, giving everyone their space!!

APRIL FOOLS ... I haven't gone through any of the 200 pictures I took.  I'll do that today.
We all jumped in the BAT and headed out past Texas Canyon to Dragoon and beyond.  Oh ... what is the BAT?  Big A$$ Truck.  I'm sure I got dropped on my head as a baby, because I LOVE big trucks. I smile every time I see this one.  I know, it's a Ford and I'm a Chevy girl, but I like it anyway.  It's even bigger than MY BAT.

This one however is usually spotless, unlike mine.  This is just a little of the dirt collected on those gravel roads we drove.
Anyway, we were following the old railroad tracks around the area between Benson, Tombstone and Fairbank.  We arrived in Tombstone just in time for lunch in the first picture.  The only reason Dan stopped was because of the lady in pink and turquoise standing in the middle of the road shaking her maracas, or whatever you call those.

We ordered outside, thinking we could sit at their picnic tables, but NO ... no sitting allowed.  We were directed across the street to the City Park to sit at THEIR tables.  Two big burgers (Patty and I shared) and drinks came to $30.  We figured we were helping the economy, if only for one more day.  

Sadly, the streets were almost completely empty.  Kudos to the OK Cafe for staying open.  From there, we stopped at one more little town before heading back home.  
I did hit the grocery store early in the morning, making it past the Security Guard and the Police Officer (don't know why he was there).  I'm happy to announce that Frys has everything, even toilet paper.  Alas, I was only allowed one package, but no big deal, I still have some in my rig.  

I even stopped at Safeway for Cooper chicken, and am happy to report they are also back in business with most of their shelves full except for pasta, tp and beans.  Somehow those seem to go together.  I totally give it up for Frys however .... they have senior hours every day between 6 and 7 am.  No other grocery store is doing that.

A quick walk through my back yard resulted in this beauty.  April Fools ..... it's not a beauty at all, except for the color.  It's wilty and a little brown around the edges.  It's hard to grow roses in the desert.
 SO ... I've got my work cut out for me getting those images off my camera.  It was one of the best trips I've taken lately with lots of ghost town remnants.  So sad they are not all still intact.  I see another road trip in the very near future!!

PS  The entire time we were on this excursion, we were far far away from any people.  The only time we saw anyone was at the OK Corral, where we kept our distance.




12 comments:

  1. These are sad times when Social Distancing interferes with carefree enjoyment.
    The Rose still looks good.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the Chances company.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true .. there's not much enjoyment in watching television for 12 hours a day! LOL

      Delete
  2. Love the reference to the FORD BAT. Ours is the dark mate to Dan's clean beauty. Ours, seldom spotless but we love her all the same.
    Never a gad time to visit Tombstone. Our last visit was early and the streets looked like this for about 15 minutes. so sad, this necessary world change in our lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humans are meant for social interaction. This is going to be interesting when we are all let loose on the world again!

      Delete
  3. Glad you found a place to buy lunch. I love the color of the rose. My parents did really well growing roses in Yuma. One time, in an article in the Yuma Sun, the garden editor gave my parents a compliment about their beautiful roses. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elva, that's amazing. Mine don't grow very well here, in spite of fertilizer and pruning. I do have one that is a part of the world's largest rose tree from Tombstone though. I'm trying to keep it alive.

      Delete
  4. One of my friends says that senior hour is the busiest time at his store so he prefers to go mid-afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably true Linda. Mostly because there are so many people taking their parents shopping and filling two and three carts!! It wasn't bad here, just having to wait in line while they checked out $300 worth of groceries.

      Delete
  5. Glad to see you got out and did some sightseeing. Unfortunately most everything is closed or no activities going on. They must think all seniors get up early. NOT! Glad the stores are full again. Only thing I really care about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know ... those hours are crazy!! Most seniors sleep in! LOL

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you had a good day. Looking forward to your pictures. The rose is still beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit when it opened up further, it was very pretty. Sadly, it's the only one on the bush! LOL

      Delete