Monday, April 27, 2020

I Lost Another Friend

I really do try hard to stay out of politics.  Sometimes I just can't stop myself and I lose friends.  It really wasn't a rant, or at least I didn't write it that way.  It just seems to me that a President is a President, and you support him as much as you can force yourself, even if you DON'T like him.  In the old days, everyone seemed to stick together.  In the world today, it's a completely different story.

I lost another friend last night, although not really a friend.  He only befriended me on Facebook because he was trying to sell me a million dollar home in Santa Cruz.  I'm sure he never saw my bank account.  We went to school together from the time we were 16 years old.  He never paid any attention to me or even talked to me then, and hasn't since, until he wanted to sell this house.

Unfortunately, we disagree about what the doctors say about the virus.  He's with the stay locked up for one full year group and I'm with the let's get the economy rolling again group.  Neither the twain shall meet and he unfriended me.  It's so sad that we've come to this point where we can't live together whether we are Republicans or Democrats.  It seems you are not allowed to have an opposing opinion any more, either way.

At any rate, my first order of business was to unpack the rig.  Having been told grocery stores were being difficult, I picked up everything I required at Safeway in Arizona.  No difficulty there.  That means I'm up to load #14 coming out of the motorhome.  The good news is I didn't sit on the couch or hit the fridge every few minutes.

For those who were wondering, THIS is the real reason I came back to California when I did.  Yup ... my horse trailer.  It seems the Chance family granddaughter might be getting her own horse.  I knew I was saving this trailer for something.  

The problem is can it be hitched up to the high-in-the-sky pickup her dad owns.  Measurements were taken and the quest is on to see if it will work.  I hope it does, for a couple of reasons.  If it's gone, I won't keep hitting my head on the hitch.  For two, it couldn't be going to a nicer family, and in return, they said I could ride the horse occasionally.
That means the first big project will be emptying it of all my gear, including my sleeping bags and fishing pole.  I used to take it horse camping up in the Sierras.  The front window opens to a queen sized bed.  

First up was to remove the saddle covered with mold.  Leather is like a living breathing animal and cannot take heat and cold without coming alive.  I used a hose to wash it all off, but now have to spend hours rubbing a weird concoction into every little square inch.
Just because I wasn't sore enough already, I grabbed my tallest ladder and spent an hour scrubbing the bugs off the front of the beast.  She's all "purdy" now!!
The next project, since it was 92 degrees, was to give Cooper a haircut.  Here's what's left!!  Just kidding, it took two sets of clippers and lots of patience to get it done.  He's feeling much lighter now.
In no time dinner rolled around and I had nothing in the fridge.  Another two loads and I whipped up some tamale pie, kinda sorta.  You just fry up some onion and hamburger, dump in a can of beans (any kind of beans), a can of corn, a can of Rotel tomatoes, a package of taco spice mix along with a good helping of garlic powder.  Layer it with corn tortillas, only all I had were flour.  Smother it in cheese and bake for 30 minutes at 350.  How simple is that??
Exhausted, I fell into bed, but couldn't stop thinking about how I was unfriended ... twice.  It makes me feel bad.  Actually, that's THREE times since this virus stuff started.  Apparently you aren't even allowed to have an opinion in this environment.  

I spent over an hour looking up Hollywood celebs to see what they donated, most of which involved GO FUND ME pages or proceeds from items they are selling.  I have to give it up for one rapper who paid the rent on an entire building in New Orleans.  Now that's a donation in my book!!  He really helped those people out.

I was wrong about the Clinton Foundation also.  They have set up a site to share reliable information.  They are also rescuing medical supplies and sending them to needy countries.  They partnered with with the City of Little Rock and several other organizations to deliver 120,000 meals to kids in the City up to April 5.  I'm sure other organizations are doing the same, we just aren't hearing about it.

Hopefully today is a better day.

Day 46, minus 3 friends








22 comments:

  1. Oh Nancy, like you say "they were never a friend". I know there's a lot of our friends who disagree with the way we're living life and we disagree with the way they are..we don't say it and neither do they..those are your true friends. You should be able to have an opinion and not lose friends over it. Too sad..That's wonderful about the trailer! I don't know much (nothing) about saddles, but that's a beautiful one for sure! Good for you for checking into he foundations...that's where media only wants us to hear what they want to put out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My head knows that, but my heart doesn't. I know it's true, it's just hard to accept.

      Delete
  2. Times have changed about having opinions in the last year especially. That's why I don't do Face-Book.
    The Goose-Neck on the trailer is adjustable unless Dad went crazy with the Truck height.
    Looks like you haven't stopped since getting home.
    Dinner looked Tasty even with Flour Tortillas.
    Be Safe and Enjoy downsizing.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that crazy? I almost think we have too much media!
      That's what all the measuring was about, but it looks like the trailer will work. Yay!!

      Delete
  3. That saddle is GORGEOUS!!!! That one's worth spending as much time & elbow grease as it takes to clean & condition, for sure. I don't know much about saddles either, but is that a Visalia tree? Do they still make them there (Visalia)? It looks like an heirloom.

    So hmmm I was thinking. Since you're losing all your fickle Facebook 'friends' 😉, maybe you can think of mentioning your loyal blog commenters in your will instead & put me down for the saddle? 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a Visalia tree that one, but my other show saddle is. I have to say it's probably the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden.
      I will definitely keep you in mind since I have no family members who ride!!!

      Delete
  4. Sweet of you to provide a great new home for your horse trailer. Glad you're getting the rig emptied before it gets too hot. I'm slowly getting the bays emptied and packed properly with things that stay. Slow process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take time Doug. Did you accumulate that much already? Doesn't take long to fill those bays up!! I bet you are itching for your next adventure.

      Delete
  5. Don't worry, they will be back. Your writing and tales of adventures are just to good to pass up. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Don. I hope so, otherwise I'll have all these tales bottled up forever!!

      Delete
  6. That is a beautiful saddle. The horse trailer is a lovely gift to the Chase family.
    On the unfriending.... it's a difficult divide to straddle. People who hold the position that it's too soon to open up the economy (me) are genuinely concerned that the people who want to be back out and about (you) will get the virus and die. There's also overwhelming the hospitals and all of that should the case load spike. There really is no good answer, but people should be able to talk about it rationally. I'm glad you checked on the Clinton Foundation. Despite what has been said about them, they're a good charity and are really not the spawn of Satan.
    We scored a 12 pack of mega roll super soft Charmin at Fry's yesterday so we are very happy about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I total get it Allison. There's no good answer to all of this, all made much more confusing because of the media. Time will tell I suppose. I just don't want the economy to completely crash before it gets better. So many businesses are closed and out of money and they don't qualify for ANY of the funding. We certainly don't need any more people on welfare!!
      Wow you really SCORED at Fry's!!! They do seem to be able to keep up better than most.

      Delete
  7. Good people check facts. Thank you for checking the facts on the Clinton Foundation. I really thought it had been shut down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I Elva and yet I've heard they have so much money.

      Delete
  8. I am assuming they are going to come and get the trailer...sure looks nice, and getting back on a horse is just what the good doctor ordered for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly ... I would LOVE to be riding again. I miss it something terrible.

      Delete
  9. Well, apparently all your mighty labors today worked some stuff out of your system. That was a good rant yesterday. You have a knee that jerks in the opposite direction from mine, but I came back anyway, though I went, WHOA. I try to minimize the knee jerks myself. Living in a small town in Texas, as an old "yellow dog Democrat" I get along with many friends who voted for our president and continue to support him. Some of them I've known for more than 60 years (and some more than 70!). Anyway, that is a handsome trailer. Someone is going to be very lucky. And you were too, to have camping trips with a horse in the Sierras. What bliss that must have been. I do love horses. And saddles. Hard to part with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming back Judith. Sorry I went off my rocker. I'm just worried about the economy that's going to crash if we don't let people get back to work. Not all at once, but let's get rolling little by little. If we can stay away from folks and play golf, we can open up campgrounds and get businesses open again.

      Delete
  10. When Tom and I read the blog you wrote yesterday what we heard was some one who was frustrated with what is going in the state you pulled into and our country in general. The question I have is when did so many of the citizens in this country decided it was not acceptable to agree to disagree and still respect the other person's opinion. I know several people like you that have been unfriended on facebook, including Tom, because they dared to voice their opinion. It seems a little childish to me.

    I do not know anything about saddles or horses for that matter but it sure does look like a beautiful saddle. What a wonderful gesture to gift forward that horse trailer. Something tells me it will be very much appreciated. Hope it works out.

    P.S. It just hit me if things do not change while you are there, there will be no Magic Kingdom stories...:(:(:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just think people have gone overboard with the washing of everything with disinfectant before entering their house. It's maybe a different kind of flu, but is it not called the WuFlu? I just don't see that panic is called for here. And I don't think we should be losing friends over it.

      Delete
    2. It really and truly is not a flu. It's closer to SARS in construction and effect.
      Influenza viruses belong to the family Orthomyxoviridae and have a single-stranded segmented RNA genome.
      Covid-19 is a member of Coronaviridae a family of enveloped, positive-sense, single-stranded RNA viruses.

      Delete
  11. People should look up the definition of opinion: a view or judgement formed about something based on fact or knowledge. To me that means we are all entitled to our own and we shouldn't be losing friends over it.
    We're all different but it seems we ALL agree that you have a beautiful saddle there! :) I have only once been on a horse and paid for it in pain, ha ha, but I would love to read that you got back 'in the saddle' again on Chance's horse.
    Take care no matter how you choose to live. We should all just care about each other!

    ReplyDelete