Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Multi-Tasking!

I don't think there is a job description that covers what I did yesterday.  I arrived to a ghost town because the "scheduler" told me to be there at 7:30 a.m.  At 8:15 the boss finally showed up.  It started out nice and slow.  I followed him over to the critter corral where hay bales were set up for the seed planting classes.

First off ... how are you at cleaning calf pens.  Yeah, done it all my life.  While you're in there, can you feed them please?  Sure ... nothing is more fun than feeding the goats and calves.  With my boots sufficiently broken in, I spent thirty minutes scrounging through the barn trying to find all the cups, trays, soil and seeds for the class.

The 34 kids never showed.  Instead, Scott gave the class to seven littles, while I ran around putting soil in the cups, getting more dirt on me than I thought possible for such a simple task.  We planted the corn seeds and set about watering them with a regular garden hose that sent the first cup sailing across the barn.  We might want to get a watering can.
Thirty minutes later, I had the cups loaded in a box and headed out to the front gate on the four wheeler.  By the time I got to the entrance, driving SO carefully, I found every single cup had fallen over.  Seeds and wet dirt were everywhere.  Thus the big brown streaks on my nice used-to-be-clean apron as I quickly stuffed everything back into the cups so no one would notice.  I need something to stick in the box to keep them stable.  Like a pumpkin!!
With that over and the kids out playing, I was immediately dragged to the Time Tractor.  Jump on ... lets go.  NICE TRACTOR!!  I frantically searched my brain for the up-hill/clutch/emergency brake gentle takeoff.  Surprisingly, it just came naturally and we were OFF!  Into the land of Indians, Miners and Dinosaurs I drove, being sure not to hit any of the irrigation valves or dinosaurs ... in other words, like RV driving, I made WIDE turns.  My brain was working overtime as I tried to remember those valves.  After one more run by myself, I was deemed a driver.
Since there's another tractor ride ... using the exact same kind of tractor ... you can guess where I went next.  The hay ride is even dirtier than seed planting due to the dusty roads.  The old cotton harvesting trailer is LONG .... make REALLY wide turns.  I passed the driving test in that field and was on to the next feat.  

The Snack Bar gal had an emergency.  Here's the money ... here's the charge card thingy and I was in business.  I mean how hard can it be to sell candy and cookies?  Thank goodness the County won't let them sell hot dogs every day.  I have NO idea why, but it was one less thing I had to worry about!!
Turns out it was VERY hard!!  This is a snow cone machine.  Wait ... I've never done this before.  She showed me in ten seconds and she was gone like the wind.  I was desperately hoping no one would come by, but of course the very first customer wanted a snow cone.  I got set up and stepped on the floor button, shooting ice straight at me and down my shirt.  Yes, it's awfully cold!!!

They have a contraption that dispenses the syrups, but unfortunately for us, it was covered with a million honey bees, cleaning up every single drop of sweet yumminess and trying to climb into the dispenser.  Tiger's Blood, Bubblegum, Sour Apple ... they were after it all.

After washing six bottles, we filled them with syrup and topped them with dispensers so the bees couldn't get inside.  They went ballistic!!  Luckily I didn't get stung!!
I don't have time to explain everything else I did ... yes, there's a LOT more!!  You've got to be multi-talented around there!!
It was a pretty crazy day!!  This morning is my first solo seed planting class with seven kids.  Easy peasy.  Wednesday, only 13 kids.  Piece of cake.  Thursday, ONE HUNDRED kids.  Won't THAT be fun and exciting!!!  

I'll explain more about the rest of the jobs I had to take over tomorrow.  It seems I'll be busiest during the week and may even get weekends off.  I'll need it to rest up!!





5 comments:

  1. Wow you sure keeping busy doing it all, never a dull moment there for you. Learn as you going sure makes life interesting .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the truth. I think keeping your brain and body moving is the secret to a long life!!

      Delete
  2. It's so easy for everyone to give the jobs to the "can do" girl. Because you always find a way to do whatever needs doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try anyway, Linda ... and I like being a good role model for the teenagers working out there.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete