Friday, August 18, 2023

Surgery And A Spa Day

 After checking and rechecking the surrounding sidewalks, I am pleased to report there were NO rattlesnake babies floating around ... at least not that I could see.  Sadly, there were no game videos either.  In fact, no one has visited for three full days now.  

Oh wait ... Mr. Prince Charming has been around.  It seems he comes in every evening to soak in the refreshing spa that is NOT his territory, before wandering off into the bushes during the morning hours.  I imagine he's after a breakfast of ants.

Once I was fully awake, it was SURGERY time.  I've got my ladder, my gloves and needle nose pliers.  Time to find out which breaker to flip.  It was weird, that even though two of the bulbs were hanging by a thread, they worked when I turned the light on.  

Eight breakers later, having turned off practically everything in the house, the lights finally went out.  I climbed up the ladder and began with surgical precision.


I had to completely squash the first one to get it out.  That's weird ... look at the corrosion inside.  What the heck is that?  It's very hard and crispy.  One down, three to go.  


They all looked the same inside.  As you can see, I got a little better at my surgical procedures as I went along.  Finally done, with a big sigh of relief, I stitched her back up.  I would stick some new parts and pieces in there, but I have none.  A trip to the hardware store is in order.  

This is a nice Hunter Fan, so I'm not sure why it did this.  It's also interesting to note that the light was only on for maybe ten minutes until I flipped the breaker, yet the bulbs and end pieces were really hot to the touch ... even after taking out three of them.  My doctor skills in that area are minimal at best.  Is that normal for them to be so hot?  At least I didn't get electrocuted.


In no time I found myself walking around the house aimlessly looking for something to grab my interest.  In a last ditch effort at sanity, I picked up my camera and headed off to my favorite little town ... Tombstone.  It's like a relaxing spa for me ... complete with a steam bath on this day.  As you know, these guys made this town even more famous.


Even if you aren't an old west history aficionado, you know who these two are.  It's interesting to note there is a lot more controversy in this part of the country, about the 30 second encounter.  Half the town thinks the Cowboys were murdered out of spite and the rest think the Heros had every right to participate in what has become the story of all stories in Arizona and Hollywood.  


I'm not convinced either way, but anyone as good looking as Kurt Russell HAD to be telling the truth.  Just kidding ... so off I headed for some time away from the toads, rattlesnakes and flying critters.

Surprisingly, I got a front row seat at the Courthouse, IN THE SHADE.  I always park here, but even in mid summer when it's 103 out, I didn't want to get in trouble for parking where I shouldn't.  I went inside the Courthouse and was greeted by a good looking Ranger.  He could have been in that movie.

The last time I was here, the Gallows were closed off, so I asked if I could get some photos and if I could stay parked there while I walked the town.  He said of course!!  Wow .. that was easy.  It cost me $7 for the Courthouse tour (which I've seen many times before), but it was worth it just to stand and talk to this hunk ... wait, I mean very nice man.


Imagine ... walking the same hallways as the Earp brothers and the Clanton Cowboys as they went to court.  


Better yet, walking down Allen Street chasing the guys you think killed your brother.  There are many accounts of what happened here, depending on whose side you take.  It was pretty quiet ... maybe six people besides me.


I'm hungry ... let's EAT!!  I've been coming here for many years, wanting to try Puny John's BBQ.  Who was Puny John?  I've been trying to find that out for years.  I imagine it's some Cowboys nickname, but so far all I've been able to come up with is BBQ.  Their schedule is weird and they are rarely open.  I've no idea why.

I checked the menu ... $17.99 for the brisket sandwich.  Ouch!!  I ordered the sandwich only for $9.99.  The soda turned out to be $3.50!  There's a money maker for you, especially since it was so hot.  It was worth it.  There is very little air conditioning in Tombstone and the coke helped to cool me off.  


Was it good?  Heck yeah!!!  Not the best I've ever had, but pretty darn tasty and not full of fat like many brisket sandwiches.  Even their BBQ sauce was good.  


However ... Big Nose Kate's Saloon is better.  You can't beat their pastrami on rye sandwich.  

There's more since I spent most of the day there, but we'll talk tomorrow.  It's O-Dark-Thirty and I need COFFEE, so I'll finished this later.




18 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting day. I love Tombstone, what the heck I love the old west!
    Have a good day!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Frances ... I think I was born in the wrong time period.

      Delete
  2. Nancy husband says you must be getting moisture to cause corrosion with the bulbs. Could be caused from when the house is closed up when you are gone?
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the consensus it seems, so everyone must be right. During the winter when it's damp, the heat is not on very high when I'm gone.

      Delete
  3. squrit some wd 40 on light bulbs will not seize up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took your advice!! I'm learning a lot more about WD40.

      Delete
  4. In Jerome, AZ Jerry ordered a half order of brisket, fries and a drink. I ordered a chicken sandwich...just the sandwich. With the tip lunch was $60.00. But this was a "one and done" lunch so....lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW!!!!! As with everything now, brisket is over the moon in price. But $60.00 ... that's crazy.

      Delete
  5. Any idea what wattage the old bulbs were? Some of those ceiling fans lights are rated at 40W or 60W and if you put in 100W, they will get HOT. How does the inside of the outlet where each bulb screws into look? If you see any corrosion, it is best to just get a new light fixture to attach to the fan. Also, you should go to LED lights, they are cooler and last forever (well, almost forever) and use less electricity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured they would be very low, so I got the 40W bulbs. You used to be able to buy ceiling fan bulbs, but I couldn't find any at Home Depot. I never turn on that light OR the fan, so hopefully it will be okay.

      Delete
  6. We've never toured the courthouse there, sounds pretty interesting. I wonder if the critters found another source for water, they must be getting it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you come back, check out the courthouse. The Sheriff's office is full of old rifles and shotguns. They even have the bar from one of the old buildings.

      Delete
  7. I think you are almost ready to hire out as a handy lady.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha ... only by the absorption of advice from good friends.

      Delete
  8. All incandescent bulbs develop heat and can be used for that purpose. Investing in LED Bulbs may be costly but will save you in the long run.
    Hope you re on High Ground with the Hillary forecasted to bring excessive rain to the west coast.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've put LED bulbs in just about every fixture around here. I think they are worth it. As for Hillary ... she's angry for sure.

      Delete
  9. I agree with Mr. Burdick with his view of your
    lights problem. Just what the electrician told
    me. Get LED and only put the wattage the unit
    calls for. Maybe your on the right track. Lol
    Your very a handy gal.
    Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with both of you. I know those fixtures usually use special bulbs, but I couldn't find any. I went with LED's and the lowest I could find. It should be okay ... I never use that light anyway.

      Delete