Saturday, August 5, 2023

IT IS DONE!!!

 It was 100 degrees last night at 8:30 as I sat on the couch admiring pictures of my new roof!!!  IT'S DONE!!!!!  What a relief not to worry about rain damage or mold.  Now I just have to figure out how to fix the ceiling paint where the leak was.  Easy peasy with Home Depot's paint department.


You really can't get a good view of the roof with so many bushes and trees around the house, not to mention the cactus.  I got nicked by ONE little spear in the knee, and it bled for 20 minutes.  I think I could use those needles on my quilting machine.   Later they swell up and become ugly, but that's another story.

Here's what the shingles looked like.  Not in great shape and most on the north side were torn.  In fact, the second in command said "yeah, it's really bad up there".  I mean really, who goes up on their house and checks the shingles?  Probably all of you, right?


Here's a shot between the trees.  No, the color doesn't match the house.  I actually came here this time with money to have the house painted gray-ish top to bottom.  That was my original plan until the first monsoon came in.  I had drip drip drip nightmares.


Isn't she pretty???  Although I can't get a picture of it, they rebuilt the dormer window thing that was causing the leak and double papered it.  Hopefully that won't be a problem any more.  The good news is NO sheeting had to be replaced.  It was all in good shape.  I'm pretty sure this roof will outlive me.  

They spent at least two hours cleaning up.  They had this magnet roller thing that they ran all over the ground and the back lawn to pick up all the nails.  It's way too hot to see if they got it all, so I'll keep my eyes open.  All in all a GREAT crew who worked their butts off in that heat without complaint.  I'm VERY happy with the results in spite of now being broke.  


While all that was going on OUTSIDE, the Plumber was working inside.  Talk about a jack of all trades ... and easy to look at ... he showed off his skills remodeling my kitchen.  I don't use the garbage disposal ... I've mentioned that before ... but the one here would completely rust up when I was gone.  When I ran it upon my return this time, big chunks of rust came up into the sink.  That's not good .....

Having one is a good selling point ... and I couldn't pass on the price.  Just for talking sake, I asked if they replaced sinks.  Someone before me had set something in both sides that actually melted the sink.  When he said $800 for a stainless steel sink, new faucet AND garbage disposal, I said HECK YEAH!!  


It turned out a little more difficult because he actually had to cut out the hole a bit, but he did a great job.  Not only that, but he rearranged the plumbing under the sink to code, the way it should have been all along, and now I have more room for JUNK!!  It's a win win!!

Isn't it PURDY??  I can't believe it was so inexpensive.  Probably not the premier product, but I don't care.


While all of that was going on ... between banging on the roof and sawing in the kitchen, I tried to concentrate on quilting, and of course entertaining Cooper.  Guess what's under the couch?


I whipped out three quilts in no time ... small ones, just to be sure I remembered how to do it.  I didn't ... I had to check and recheck the instructions.  I've discovered I can remember all the manual stuff after four months, but the computer stuff ... it's complicated.  I probably use 1/8 of the capability of this machine. 


I finished this Alaska quilt last night and I have number four loaded on the machine for today.  Here's praying it all goes well since it is for a customer.

What about the sprinkler water repair you ask?  Ummm yeah, that's another story.  I'll relate that one tomorrow because today I'm basking in my new roof and my fabulous sink!!!






17 comments:

  1. I see those roofers working and wonder how they can do it in that heat day after day after day. Your end result looks great!

    Either you or a ball is hiding under the bed. I am guessing it is not you, so I'll go with a ball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it either. Those guys are tough!! but then they live here all year, so they are more used to it than us.

      Delete
  2. Roof looks very nice.
    Amazing new sink, girl you are on a role!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sink is such an improvement! I was on a roll but the wallet tire is a little flat right now!!

      Delete
  3. Mr. Ed says he has a secret little trick for you ….Set your camera up on your tripod in front of your quilting machine while everything is fresh in your memory, go through the routine of oh I don’t know whatever you do to make that thingamajig thing run. Perfect. Make sure you tackle the difficult things. Now that you have it on video . add it to your computer. Actually, you can put it on YouTube.. it might help others. That way all you have to do to refresh. your memory is watch the video. Oh yes, I remember that. I’m glad I did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the ceiling is stained and not damaged, (holes)you can put One of two product called KILZ or. Zinsser. It’s an alcohol and / or water based paint it’s a paint sealer and blocker you paint over the stain and then you paint the ceiling the color that you want it it keeps The stain from coming through

      Delete
    2. That IS a good idea!!! Then I can remember exactly how to do it when I've been gone. Thank you!!! Lucky for me the ceiling isn't stained, but the paint made a huge bubble. It's hard to explain. I'll post a picture.

      Delete
  4. I was told to pour a quarter of a cup of olive oil into the disposal, run for about 5 seconds without the water on and the oil will keep the disposal from rusting while we are gone.

    Great looking roof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that ... didn't work one little bit, but it did solidify right nicely and plug up the drain. I think that may work on a new disposal, but not one 18 years old.

      Delete
  5. The roof looks great ! I have the same sink without the divider.
    Guess it's not the same! Do love the stainless steel though!
    Getting lots of things done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Progress!!! YAY! I love stainless steel too, especially when the drain works.

      Delete
  6. Love the sink....so shiny and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secret to keeping it that way is furniture polish. Spray it on, wipe it down and no water spots.

      Delete
  7. Water stains often show through regular paint. If that happens you'll need to paint with KILZ. Increase ventilation as much as possible before using KILZ.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its funny ... there was such a thick layer of paint that it bubbled up instead of spreading out. I'll have to show a picture of it ... hard to explain.

      Delete
  8. Nancy, the roof and sink look great. Yes, use the Kilz or Zinsser over the stain, then paint. Use the water based for easy clean up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill ... I think I even have some Kilz in the garage. I'll post pictures of the paint problem.

      Delete