Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Humming Right Along

 I'm actually not humming along this morning.  It was a rude awakening at 2:47.  I'm not sure what it was. Possibly the driveway alarm bell going off like crazy.  You never know if it's the deer, the javelinas, the bunnies or the border patrol.  Once awake, I'm awake!!

Right after I got this place, the border patrol was caught on my game camera apparently chasing someone in the dark down my trail.  That will wake you up!!  I'll check the camera when it gets light out and see who came to visit.

These guys yesterday ..... just WOW!!  Talk about humming right along.  Winter must be coming early this year.  The migration is in full swing.  I have never seen so many hummers at my feeder.  I filled it yesterday morning and it was empty by 5:00 last night.  It seems many of them are babies ... so tiny they can barely reach the yellow flower.


Look at these guys ... and they aren't even all in the video.  I counted over 14 at once, several just waiting in the trees for room at the buffet table.  The ones with the cinnamon tails ... they are fighters!!  They try to chase off everyone else.  There's a real battle going on there.


Oh ... the carpet cleaner?  He finally showed up 45 minutes late.  This time he had a trainee with him.  That was good for me.  He did a MUCH better job of cleaning.  I think he took longer than he did cleaning the entire room the last time.  At least it will be better until the carpet can be replaced.

Hmmm ... another seven hours to wait for it to dry.  That means no TV.  How will I survive without RODEO!!  I walked into the sewing room looking for the next quilt to stitch together when I remembered the hummingbird nest in the bushes outside the window.

I've checked a couple of times and didn't see Mom anywhere.  I figured she flew the coop when the roofers arrived.  Maybe a closer look is in order.  It took a second or two for it to register.  That black stuff hanging off the leaves is bird droppings.  That must mean there are BABIES!  Can you see them?


Me either ... I had to get a little closer.  They are really well camouflaged and hard to see, but at the bottom is a big beak and a closed eye.  Just to the right, there is another.  TWO babies hanging out, so obviously there's no room for Mom.  How cool is that!!  


Since we weren't allowed on the wet carpet, I loaded yet another quilt onto the frame in the other room.  This one had EIGHT rows.  That means I was holding my breath through every row, praying for no broken threads or screeching halt.  It just hummed right along without a single glitch.  I really like this quilt pattern, so you will probably see it again in a different color.


Mr. Cooper was a little unhappy not to be sitting on his favorite couch next to his favorite Mom.  It took me awhile to convince him that THIS couch was just as good, and it was closer to the longarm in case bad noises sounded the alarm.


While sitting there, I looked up to see an inch of dirt on these fan blades.  I never use this room OR the fan.  I got out the duster and no sooner started dusting than half the light bulb fell out on the floor.  Well rats ... another problem to solve.  The base of the bulb is still plugged in.  

I mistakenly reached over to the next one and tried to remove it.  It broke apart in my hand.  Now I have TWO ends to get out of the sockets.  Anyone have any ideas on how to do that and not get electrocuted?  I thought I might try the old potato trick ... you know, stuff it up in there and try to turn it ... but last time that didn't work so well.  Maybe you have a better idea.  Is there some special tool for this?


My coyote buddies are at it again this morning, howling their greetings to each other just down the hill.  It's time to check the game camera and see what's up.  Thank goodness we are finally humming right along.


12 comments:

  1. Make sure the power is ((((OFF))))to that light put on a good Leather glove stick your finger in the hole and turn works every time especially if you don’t have a potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm out of potatoes, but I do have a nice leather glove. I'll give it a shot. Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Like the previous poster said, make sure the power is OFF. Then I take long nosed or needle nose pliers and get a grip on the edge of the bulb and twist them out. Wear safety glasses or keep your head away. I have never tried the potato trick, but because of the moisture content of potatoes, I would not try it. Yes, the power is off, but would be concerned about any residual moisture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I never would have thought about THAT ... moisture. If the glove doesn't work, I'll grab some pliers.

      Delete
  3. Nancy make sure you turn off the power! A needle nose pliers is probably the best choice.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The power part concerns me since I can't really tell when the lights don't work. I'll see if the fan will turn on, then hit some breakers. That should tell me.

      Delete
  4. After you turn off the power, give it a little squirt of WD40, let it sit for a minute and the use the needle nose pliers to grab the edge of the shell and tap with a screwdriver handle and it will come out easily. I did it this way for several years as an electrician in industry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect ... and I have a big can of WD40. Believe it or not, I actually saw that on the internet last night. Figured I would try it today.

      Delete
  5. Good luck on the bulb. I have no wisdom to offer, but turning off the power sounds right. Ha. Meanwhile, I think those humming birds with cinnamon tails are roufous ones; they are common in your state, but no so in mine, and once I saw a stray, and my breath was taken away. It was all a burnished gold brown....all of it, glistening. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup that's them. I happened to see a closeup picture of one on my Wildlife feed. THEY are the fighters!!! They chase everyone else off.

      Delete
  6. Yes, long nose pliers. Insert one jaw inside the bulb metal rim, and the other one outside the metal rim. Force the long nose tips down to capture the rim. Twist the pliers to bend the metal rim and twist out, counter-clockwise.
    Use a glove to play it safe, IN case it's wired wrong, no shocky. :O) Or turn it off at the circuit breaker.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely turning off the circuit breaker!!! My luck isn't all that great! Thanks Bob!!

      Delete