Thursday, August 24, 2023

Moving Tips

 As you can imagine, things have been pretty crazy around here.  I know it seems like this was a one second decision, but it's actually been in contemplation mode for quite some time.  I've just never talked about it.  Nothing like keeping a secret, eh??  I'll explain it much more after I'm planted back in my other house.

In the meantime, here are some packing tips.  Be prepared to go crazy and work your butt off.  As I mentioned, the first bid to move me was $9,900.  The second bid came in yesterday at $7,900.  That makes the $644 U-Haul truck sound pretty good, yes?  

It took less than two seconds to take Mr. Chance up on his offer to drive the truck to California and fly back.  That's what put everything into overdrive.  It's like the funny car drag races ... take off screaming ... because he has to be back in Arizona in four short days.

I thought I had things under control until I realized I had the kitchen to pack up.  I really don't have that much stuff here, but it's enough to make me work hard.  Here's a tip ... as you empty out a cupboard, you put a sticky note on it so you don't keep going back twelve times to see if it's empty.  On my way out, I'll take one last look and remove the tags.  


I'm pretty short on pictures today ... I was on a mission.  First thing when it was cool, I headed out to the garage and moved my truck out.  I put all the trash things on one side and all the "good take-it" stuff on the other so we didn't get things mixed up.

You really have to think on your feet ... especially when the guy who is supposed to haul OFF that trash calls and says he can't do it.  I hit my phone running and got a kid who is coming today at 2:00.  I love it when a young kid has some smarts and makes extra money hauling off junk.  Those are the people you should help out.

I just kept plugging away at it while the to-go pile got bigger and bigger.  Dan keeps saying I don't have that much stuff and it won't fill a 26' foot truck, but we shall see.  

Time to test our muscles.  Dan and Pattys son Mark could use a new bed.  I have two and can only sleep in one at a time.  It's a practically new fancy dancey adjustable bed that's nice and soft ... perfect for a late night watching TV.  It took Dan, Laila and I to get the mattress out to Mark's truck.

Who knew the frame was so darn heavy??  It took four of us to get it out of the house and probably a hernia or two to get it on the  truck.  Good grief that thing was heavy.  My next tip ... get all your kids and grandkids to lift the heavy stuff!!


Oops .. I forgot to check the game camera.  RATS ... still no pictures.  Now I'm thinking it's the batteries.  There's really no way to tell.  Sometimes no one shows up for a drink, especially during monsoon when there are puddles everywhere.  

I made a quick trip to the store for chicken fingers and batteries.  Safeway's food is pretty darn tasty when you can't cook.  Back home, I tested the new batteries, and it seems to be working.  Maybe that drop on the concrete two days ago didn't hurt the camera after all.  

Here's my last problem.  These are fabulous shelves.  Heavy ... steel grating ... and I hate to see them go, but no one has room for them.  I stopped by the little nursery that popped up down the street and asked if they could use them.  He said yes, but he never stopped by.  I guess we'll take them apart and load them up.


So that's it for today folks ... nothing really exciting.  My realtor is going to work for her money ... I've got more furniture in the house that will be donated after I leave, and the mobile home guys will come and repair the vapor barrier the next day.  She's going to be busy!

Pray for good weather please ... I'll be pulling out Monday morning.



14 comments:

  1. After helping our son move, I know what you're going through! We've still got to get more out of Lincoln when we get the new cargo trailer. Honestly, I think the new buyers would love those shelves. Can't have too many shelves in the garage, hubby says!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb and I were talking about your move the other day and decided that this had been in the works for a while. I certainly do not blame you for keeping it a secret.
    We were lucky when we sold our last two houses. Both buyers said they would take anything we wanted to leave behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure hoping I have a buyer ... lol ... but not yet. This is a quick move!

      Delete
  3. Wow you have been busy. I feel for you moving is not fun.
    Becareful moving that heavy stuff.
    Prayers continue for a safe trip.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup ... busy busy for sure. SO much to do and the cleaning!!!

      Delete
  4. Glad you are almost done. Get a good day's rest before heading out. May the weather gods be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Doug ... I'm hoping Mother Nature is having a good day.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you have things under control. Should be able to drive that in four days, about 200 miles a day, or 300 miles and make it in three days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three days is my usual. Wish I could make it more, but there's actually very few places to spend the night.

      Delete
  6. Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for you.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing really exciting? Really? I would have shot myself by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Judith ... you read my mind!! It's been crazy!

      Delete