Sunday, August 6, 2023

ALL HAIL WALMART!!!

Oooohweeeee!!  It was a heat stroke inducing 107 yesterday, which hopefully means more monsoon rains are in the forecast.  It's the heat that causes the air movement that brings rain.  At least I sure HOPE that's true!  I've never taken so many showers in one day before, and I'm quickly running out of clothes, so laundry is almost a daily chore.

That's why at 7:00 in the morning, I was walking in the door to Walmart.  I only needed bird seed, but since I was there, I thought I might as well get some groceries.  I'm not a Walmart shopper at all, but this store is HUGE and mostly clean and tidy.  

Here's what I found ... 18 eggs for $2.78 ($5.00 Safeway), bag of frozen veggies $.98,  Reese's peanut butter chips $2.57 ($5.00 Safeway) ... and the list goes on.  I like Safeway's quality a little better, but for these prices, it's definitely worth the drive.  I'll be doing a lot of shopping there from now on!

Too bad these guys can't shop there.  They are looking a little thin around the edges.  These two young guys have been hanging out together this summer.  

I can now tell who has been at the water station without even looking at the camera.  The water level tells the tale.  This morning it was down quite a bit.  Prego Mom stopped by at about 3:00 in the morning.  Just look at those ears!!


Speaking of water ... here's the sprinkler story.  The plumber removed the gas pipe water line and showed me the inside was almost completely closed up with rust.  That brought about the problem.  Apparently chunks of rust have broken off and gone into the sprinkler valves, because they STILL do not work ... after all that repair work!  I'm laughing, because what else can I do!

SO ... Nancy now gets to completely disassemble all four valves and try to clean them out.  When I turned them on, at least I did hear water going INTO the valves, but it's plugging them up too much to work.  I'm praying for rain (don't tell anyone) to keep the back yard greenery green.  I can do that now since my roof doesn't leak!!!  But first ... I have to go find parts with which to make repairs.  I doubt I can just clean them out, but I will try.

Just a reminder ... cactus can reach out and touch you any time it feels like it, even in your back yard.


Once the groceries were put away and I was caught up with all things brain game playing, I started on the next quilt.  It surprises me just how far off the colors are with my phone camera, but maybe the owner of this one will recognize it.  

This is the Mom quilt that I finished sewing and am now going to quilt.  I did the three previous ones for practice before attempting this one.  It's a queen size, so about the biggest I can do on my frame.  I prayed from start to finish.  Please don't let the machine break ... please don't let the thread break ... please let the pattern fit perfectly ... please don't run out of thread ... please let the batting be long enough ... you name it and I was praying for it!!


My prayers were answered and I did a happy dance around the living room.  I had no problems whatsoever and it quilted out perfectly.  That's a big PHEW!!!  Now to get it trimmed up and binding sewn on.  I hope she likes it!!  It has the Cooper seal of approval!!


Since it took a whopping five hours to do that quilt, I was pretty tired of standing on my feet.  Awhile back I had written down one of those internet "dump" recipes and thought I might try it out.  Dump everything in a bowl (chicken, soup mix, veggies, spices), stir it up, then cut up and mix in Pillsbury biscuits.  

Surely this CAN'T be good.  Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.  Yikes ... that sounds like a fire alarm in the making!!  Okay, I'll do it!!  Wasn't I surprised that it came out pretty darn tasty.  Not healthy by any means, but chicken pot pie in a baking dish.  Of course I'll have to replace Cooper's chicken that I stole to make it.  Yup ... I'll make it again.


The forecast is for 95 degrees and evening rain for the next five days.  Maybe it will get cool enough I can tackle those sprinkler valves, after I haul water down to the water station for the "kids".  

I'll post ceiling water pictures tomorrow.  My main problem is I don't want to paint the entire ceiling because it's too big ... and it's the original paint!!  So matching may be a problem.

There you have it ... another day in the Arizona desert!





14 comments:

  1. That is an awesome looking quilt! Those deer can drink quite a bit of water can't they? We have one totally drain our birdbath in one session,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The deer can definitely put a dent in the water. There aren't many people that put out water I guess, and with no rain, they have to be thirsty.

      Delete
  2. Your quilt is beautiful.
    If you decide to paint the entire ceiling there is ceiling paint and it doesn't splatter like regular paint. It is wonderful.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? I've never heard of that Frances. I'll definitely look for it!

      Delete
  3. Wondering if a can or two of Compressed Air (like for cleaning keyboards) might help to blow out the metal material from your sprinkler heads and valves? Do you have a water pik? Those can shoot a directed stream of water that might help too. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it would work, but I'm going to try it!! It's a project for a cooler day however.

      Delete
  4. Those sprinklers seem to be a bit of a problem. I'm sure one day they will be working just like they are supposed to. Working that quilting machine is like a job by itself. Good that you mastered it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't know about mastered it .. but I'm happy I can make it work to at least PART of it's potential! It can do amazing things.

      Delete
  5. Glad to read the Roof, Longarm and Kitchen Plumbing are all coming together. A little patience and you should be able to fix the sprinkler heads yourself.
    Also, nice that Cooper is getting back to himself.
    Be Safe, watch those Cactus and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Those cactus are a pain ... literally.

      Delete
  6. I use to shop mostly at Raley's but that changed when we came back from AZ. I walked around the store and my only comment was "wow". The prices were so high! Fortunately I live pretty much around the corner from Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was a shock to me. I don't like their meat at all, but I'm buying everything else there. I couldn't believe the difference.

      Delete
  7. Do you have a cottage cheese ceiling? Before I had my acoustic cathedral ceiling replaced I had a rain leak that left a stain. I got paint as close as I could and using a (believe it or not) straw broom dipped in paint and pounced over the stain into the surrounding area. It worked! Not sure if it would work on a flat ceiling. Gotta love DIY! Wendy in riverside ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh Wendy ... what a smart gal you are. I never would have thought of that solution! I'll post a picture of the ceiling today.

      Delete