Saturday, March 7, 2020

Wait Til You Read THIS!!

SURPRISE!!!  I've been paying more than my fair share for insurance.  Even with a perfectly clean driving record and no claims other than the windshield, my costs are through the roof.  Is it just because I'm in California or is it because of my age?  Discrimination at it's finest!!

Here's what I found out yesterday.  The cost of my 2012 Jeep Liberty insurance is a whopping $1470 a year.  Add to that the $3,690 Progressive was going to charge me and I now have a $5,000+ bill for these two vehicles.  If you have Progressive, you better take a good look.

Part of the $5,000 is because I have higher limits due to a lien holder.  In other words, it is NOT paid for.  The Jeep however, IS paid for.  I am now all stressed out again!
First up, Geico.  I spoke with a very nice guy, giving him all my information and my Arizona address.  Cost of the rig AND the Jeep, with the same coverage and a $1,000 deductible, is $2,600 a year.  Quite the difference, no?

Next up Good Sam's National General.  What a pushy salesman, telling me Geico didn't have the same coverage as they did.  His price was $3,100 for the same amounts as Geico.  He said they cover the rig and vehicle under one deductible and will replace the hitch also.  He insisted I give him a credit card number immediately, because he could only guarantee this price for ONE day!!  Sorry Charlie, I didn't bite.  I told him I was shopping around.

I'm going to check out the RV rally at the fairgrounds on the 26th and see if I can come up with anything else.  I rather imagine not, since insurance companies stick pretty close together.

I do hate changing companies for fear I won't get good service.  I guess it's a shot in the dark.  Fear of the unknown sort of thing.  Insurance seems to be a necessary evil nowadays due to unlicensed and uninsured drivers, especially in California since there is no real penalty for that.  They penalize the rest of us by increasing our insurance to cover THEIR accidents.
So this morning, in an effort to increase my luck, I contemplated the moon.  Last night it was very weird looking.  This morning, it looks like a dracula moon, very orange and not quite round.
Send up a little prayer for me.  The Contractor who cancelled, called Wednesday night and said he would be here today to fix the porch.  I'm holding good thoughts!!!  Please please let him be here so I can get the pavers finished up and actually relax for a few days before heading back to the SUCK-YOU-DRY Money State.






14 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with our car insurance with Liberty Mutual (not through our insurance broker)...changed two years ago and IF/WHEN this company (I think it is AutoOwners or something like that, it is through our insurance broker) I will change again. Liberty was increasing us 10% each year, after no increase for the first two renewals. Our broker said it is standard procedure and that you just have to shop around every few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to say it, but yes, I think shopping around EVERY year has become a must.

      Delete
  2. Let's see if I get this right RV payments per month ? repairs out-of-pocket ? insurance cost $2600 = times How many nights do you actually spend in the RV versus hotel room
    make sure it's dog friendly
    Just make sure that it's not a Hampton Inn that Nick The flu has been in
    And if you want to carry STUFF they make small cargo trailers you don't need insurance on them they're covered by your vehicle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right ... I've been thinking about selling!!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you are shopping around. No matter what you end up doing, you'll have done the foot work - again. I'm sure you've done it many times before. Good coverage and good service is what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's harder to find good insurance nowadays!

      Delete
  4. We used to be through State Farm and were paying dearly. When we suggested going Fulltime they said they would CANCEL our insurance. Wayfarer is an Insurance Broker here in Canada (Not sure about the US). Our costs went way downand they are still covering us in the apartment.
    Brokers don't have the overhead the Companies do so they can get you a better price.
    Not sure if the General insurance company covers RVs.
    Hoping the Contractor finally comes through for you.
    Be Safe and Enjoy finding a new insurance company.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's a necessary evil, but I hate insurance almost as much as scorpions!!

      Delete
  5. I think the days of loyalty to an insurance company are long gone. I was with Progressive for 20 yrs but cancelled when they're rates kept going up. Now it's an annual exercise to shop for bids. But don't try e-insurance; they'll hound you with emails and phone calls daily for months!
    I agree with Mr Ed …. for the little time you spend in the RV, you could buy a whole lot of RV nights, esp now that you have your AZ home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loyalty used to be a thing .... now I think it's a thing of the past. LOL

      Delete
  6. I worked for State Farm for 37 years. Can't guarantee a thing but you might give an agent a call. Praying your porch builder is there hard at work as my solar installers are. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doug .... my dad worked for Farm Bureau and we had great insurance at a reasonable price.

      Delete
  7. Hello Nancy,
    Insurance is a necessary evil. I wish it was cheaper! We are on a slow roll to Tucson for the FMCA Rally. I wondered if you are attending, if so maybe we can say hi!d
    Take care, Good Luck with the contractors.
    Mary Klinger (from the eclipse)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mary .. I remember you for sure! I will be at the rally, probably for one full day. Are you on Facebook? Send me a friend request and I'll send you my phone number.

      Delete