Tuesday, March 3, 2020

My Eyes Are Leaking!!

I cried all day long.  I wasn't sad, I just couldn't keep my eyes from leaking.  Miss Jessie and I pretty much had the same idea.  With few exceptions, I sat on the couch    all      day      long.
I cried on my shirt, I cried on the puppies and I cried in my soup.  Here's my latest recipe.  One can of corn, one can of black beans, one can of Rotel spicy tomatoes, one can of chicken broth and one can of Costco canned (of course) chicken.  Who knew Costco canned chicken was so good?  It's all lovely white meat in big chunks and perfect when you are sick.  I added lots of spices, like cumin, chili powder and oregano.  My last bit of avocado and the best ever Cantina Style Tortillas de Harina from Safeway finished it off.  It didn't help but it tasted yummy.
What I DID find while cruising around Facebook looking for the old ghost town of Bodie, was a long lost relative.  Meet Alice Dolan, born in Bodie California in 1895.  Her best friend was my Grandmother Grace.  Alice's daughter Marj was my mother's good friend and somehow related through adoption.  My Mom spent her summers in the meanest town in the West at their house, which is one still standing in what is now the State Park.  What a small world social media has made!  Alice's granddaughter (my age) has both the picture AND the dress.
By 6:00 my lovely cold with leaky eyes progressed into me barely being able to see, my eyes just slits from rubbing away the tears.  That was the breaking point.  I finally remembered the prescription the Doctor gave me last time, doubled in case I got sick again.  I took one pill, along with a Benadryl and went to bed.
YAY ... finally a good night's sleep and I can now breathe through my nose, temporarily anyway.  Not sure how long this will last, but I hope at least until the Plumber is gone.  I've got way too many things on my to-do list to be sick ANY longer!!!



16 comments:

  1. We love Bodie, CA!! Their bathrooms actually gave me the idea for the interior of our little bunkhouse and outhouse :) Great place to visit, and not touristy. Make sure you bring lunch and drinks if you go. They may sell water, but there's no place to eat. Sorry you're not feeling well..better days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun place to visit. Was better before the State Park took over, but at least they are keeping it alive.

      Delete
  2. Bodie is a rare example of the dry-summer subarctic climate...with an average of 303 nights below freezing per year, Bodie rivals Utqiagvik, Alaska's 315...winds can sweep across the valley at close to 100 miles per hour...

    WOW! Now that's hard-core!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the old days, they would suffer anything for GOLD! I do remember it always being cold and windy.

      Delete
  3. I turned my head every which way to see Jessie but other than paws, no way can I see her position. haha
    Do like she does, curl up and get well. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I did Patsy ... and it's working!!

      Delete
  4. Your cold could simply be Allergies and Benadryl is prescribed by Doctors for that purpose.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the relief.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe the old saying was good bye God I’m going to Bodie. In June 1881 Bodie Daily Free Press Reported “Bodie is becoming a quit summer resort—on one killed here last week. (Sunset Ghost Towns of the West)

    I visited Bodie in 1972 fell in love with it.
    JWM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny. Yes, they had lots of people killed there every day. The biggest store was the funeral parlor.

      Delete
  6. Wow. What an interesting story about Bodie and the connection you have. Love the old picture. When we went to Bodie it was October. Very cold and windy and I had trouble enjoying it. I don't know how those people dealt with the weather. They were truly tough. I make a similar soup but I've always used hamburger. Good way to use up left over chicken. Hope that health wise you are on the upswing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The residents used everything they could to keep warm. The outside walls of the house were insulated with newspaper, tin roofing, rugs and old clothing. No wonder it burned so many times.

      Delete
  7. You've got to take medicines to help it from being so miserable. I don't gut it out anymore. Medicine has come a long way. One of these days I'm going to learn about spices so I'll know how to spice up my food :)). Take care and get plenty of rest. Doctor's orders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could take over-the-counter stuff, but antihistamines are not on my "good" list. Thankfully this stuff is working because I'm MUCH better!!!

      Delete
  8. Bodie, CA sounds like and interesting place. Another place to put on the list.
    Hope your eyes and your nose stop leaking and you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bodie is a must see if you ever go up 395 towards Reno. There are many houses and buildings still standing, some you can even enter. Look for the trapeze in the ceiling of the saloon. And the old bank vault still exists in it's place, in spite of the last fire.

      Delete