Thursday, March 5, 2020

The Sonoran Dog

There are lots of dogs in the world, most varieties of which I have not had the pleasure of knowing.  I met a new one yesterday in Green Valley at their Wednesday Farmers Market.  For such a small town, this is a rather BIG market, manned mostly by retirees I think.  You'll see lots of husbands and wives selling their wares together, in and around this outdoor mall area.
The STAR of the show however, is this baby.  Not the little puppy dog you are used to, but a HUGE all beef dog of most likely Costco origins, nestled in a lovely soft bun and smothered in beans, tomatoes, onions, guacamole sauce and sour cream.  You can add jalapenos if you so desire.  

Get in line at the small cart early, because by 11:00 it's clear out to the street and you'll have an hours wait.  In no time I had Sonoran dog all down the front of my shirt in spite of being super careful.  It's worth the trip just for this!!
To be honest, I probably jumped the gun on getting out.  I was ready for a nap by the time I finished my 10:30 dog, but couldn't find an empty bench.  Although you would think this was more of a fruit and vegetable market, it has more crafty items, along with some baked goods and jewelry.  LOTS of jewelry!!  Sadly, the cupcake guy was not in attendance!!
I stocked up on puppy snacks for the kids, this being just thin sliced dried chicken.  They love it!!  Oh ... the cookie?  There were about five kids selling things on a little table for some charity.  I was so zoned in on the cookies I didn't look at the WHO.  Actually, I'm pretty sure these cookies had the same Costco bloodlines.
That's it ... those were my only purchases.  I did rather like the soft rubber gecko's covered with copper wire and beads, but passed on the $20 price.  The baked goods seem to be the fastest sellers.

I was back home early, crashing on the couch when the Chance household sent a text message.  Culver's is having their Walleye fish fry for Easter.  I was SO down with THAT!!  Is this crazy or what?  It's the three piece serving Mr. Change ordered.  Patty and I should have split one two piece order.  That's a full dinner plate there, and one piece runs from edge to edge!!  If you are anywhere near a Culvers, check it out!!
So far I'm feeling rather lucky since my cold has not morphed into a horrible cough.  I'm hoping to keep it that way by staying in today.  Maybe I'll paint one more wall in the garage.  

FYI ... the cactus thorn is still embedded deep in my finger in spite of soaking, pins and my sharpest pocketknife.  I think I see a doctor in my future.



10 comments:

  1. Now that is some hotdog with all the fixings. I think I'm going to cook a couple of hotdogs on my new grill today just to try it out. My that fish and fries look inviting. You must have been stuffed after all that food. I'm glad you're feeling better except for the finger. Take it easy today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so stuffed I could hardly sit on the couch!! LOL

      Delete
  2. Aren't markets fun? I was looking forward to seeing a new variety of puppy dog! haha I'd skip the beans on the Sonoran though, just a basic for me with regular fixings and onions. :)
    Glad you have nipped that cold in the butt. A cactus thorn is painful, good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love farmers markets. They don't have them in my California area unless you can take a body guard with you! LOL

      Delete
  3. That was some dog. I'd have been bringing half that Fish dinner home.
    Surprised you didn't go to a doctor already. It's a wonder it's not infected. Try Bactine Spray. It's a good anti-bacterial that draws poisons and hopefully thorns out of wounds.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Rick. I have no idea why my finger isn't falling off already.

      Delete
  4. Have you tried epson salts and soaking you finger? That hot dog looks so yummy! Not an hours wait though, but would be tempted to make it at home! Glad you're feeling better for sure, OH MY dinner looks even better than the hot dog. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't have to buy 24 at once, I would certainly pick up some Costco dogs and duplicate the recipe. It was delicious!

      Delete
  5. Glad you enjoyed the market. That is a tasty looking hot dog. We tried the walleye at Culvers last Friday, we had heard it was pretty good, and were pleasantly surprised at how good it was. You certainly get enough food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a little greasy on the outside, but SO crisp and tasty!!

      Delete