Saturday, April 20, 2019

Sometimes You Have To Be Brave

I don't know what in the world I was thinking when I signed up for this shooting class.  It must have been sleep deprivation.  If you want adventure, sometimes you just have to be brave.

I've done some crazy things in my life, like jumping off a 60 foot tower in the jungles of Costa Rica to swing like Tarzan, but I don't think I've ever shook this bad or been this nervous before.  Obviously, that's not me in the picture.  I would NEVER wear all black in mid summer.  True, you'd never catch me in those short shorts either and there's no tattoos anywhere on this body.

We went through a four hour safety class first, with things like what would you do if you walked into a 7-11, and while standing in line, the guy ahead of you drew a weapon, pointed it at the cashier and said give me your money or you're dead!!  My response was to silently back up,  creep outside and call 911.

At any rate, it turned out to be rather exciting as we moved left and right, ducked here and there and fired at targets from as close as three feet to as far as thirty feet away.  There was a lot of thinking involved, about whether to shoot or not, not to mention listening to instructions.  I kept telling myself to be brave ... I could do this ..... and I did with pretty good results.  It was all luck!!

On the other hand, there were several others in the class who didn't fare so well.  The guy who wore sweatpants had a hard time keeping them up since his gun and holster were so heavy.  Yes, really.   One very old gentleman couldn't seem to follow instructions at all and pointed his gun at the Range Instructor.  Yikes!!  That was nothing compared to the lady who dropped her gun on the concrete, making all of us duck for cover!!  You had to be brave to be in THIS class.

It was fun, and I'm now positive there's no plaque sitting around in my arteries and veins.  My heart was pumping like crazy the entire time.  It was a fun night and rather past my bedtime when I got home at 11:00 pm.  I just might have to do that again!
You also have to be brave to eat my food.  Even "I" have to be brave in this respect, fairly often.  I had some leftover salmon, so decided to dig out the old bbq and grill up a little for salmon tacos.  I had a heck of a time getting the propane container attached.   It was a new variety with some kind of cap with a green dot I'd never seen before.  It just didn't want to come off the bottle.  

When I did finally get things going, I think I had it turned up a little too high.  The skin on the bottom was pretty dark, actually akin to black.  No problem, I'm only eating the top part.
My first piece of advice concerns the tortillas.  Flour torts and salmon do not mix well.  They should have been corn tortillas.  Since I had no salsa or taco sauce, I substituted apricot jam.  That was my second mistake.  Thirdly, olives don't exactly go with salmon.  So there you have it ... terrible tacos!!  I was lucky to get one down before cannibalizing the second for the salmon.  
Since I was on a roll, I climbed atop the rig to clean off the white gunk.  Seems there's always an adventure going on around here.  I'm now half an inch short of skin, but I'll relay that brave report tomorrow!!


10 comments:

  1. Now you have been busy, playing with guns, cooking on your Weber, (apricot jam?) and cleaning the roof on your rig. Sound like you are feeling much better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!! I knew that apricot jam would get your attention. It's weird, right? But really good on fish tacos. Course I have a sweet tooth!

      Delete
  2. The young lady that's on the Fireline is better known as tactical shooting
    They're competing against the number of hits and the number of seconds
    However for the CCW there's a different club for that I think you would enjoy as well
    If you went to an IDPA ( International defense pistol association ) shoot meet You would've found it a little more slower even so they shoot for points and time A beginner could just follow the scenario take their time and hit the target accuracy is better than speed it's also designed to be fun. Just don't shoot the dog an the hostage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured there must be something around ... I'll check it out. Slow is the name of MY game!

      Delete
  3. Dropped her gun onto the concrete??? WOW, that could have had a bad, bad consequence to it. I wonder if that guy in the sweat pants is a plumber????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha Dave .... I bet he IS a plumber!! It was interesting that there was only one younger guy in this class ... maybe 30-something. All the rest were old like me.

      Delete
  4. Interesting tacos.....that's all I can say. You are a brave lady. You are my hero....LOL. Elva Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you have to step out of the box ... I seem to do that a lot with cooking! Thank you Elva!!

      Delete
  5. Well you sure do get into some interesting things. I can't say that I would be able to do what you do. Playing Tarzan in Costa Rico? haha
    The tacos don't do it for me either but how else would you know?
    Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do heights all that well. That was one of the scariest things I've done, but it sure was fun once you knew the rope was going to hold!!

      Delete