Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Ants - 1 Nancy - 0

Weird things tend to happen to me and I've no idea why.  Like the time I was in Costa Rica with Patty Chance and we were out looking for frogs to photograph at night.  I heard one and kept telling Patty he must be VERY close.  He's so LOUD with his croaking!!

That's when I felt the movement in my hair ... he was actually sitting on my shoulder croaking into my ear.  Not sure whether he was poisonous or not, I freaked out just before he jumped to this leaf.  Well hello little hitchhiker!!  I'm pretty sure I lost one year of my life that night.
So I shouldn't have been surprised yesterday to have an encounter with an ant.  A BIG ant.  I would show you a picture of the real thing, but he's in a million pieces on the concrete patio.

There I was, minding my own business spraying weeds, when YIKES!!  Something bit me on my middle toe.  I quickly smashed my foot with my OTHER foot.  YIKES AGAIN!!!  It bit me one more time.

That got my attention and he was immediately throttled.  As I looked around, there was a nest of them, each about a quarter inch long and all one solid reddish color.  The bite irritated me, but I kept on spraying.
In five minutes the pain became like none other.  My foot starting throbbing with horrible pain in my toes.  What the heck?  By the time I got back in the house, it was swollen, fiery red and ridiculously painful.  Visions of Harrison Ford and Raiders of the Lost Ark flashed in my head.

Maybe I'm allergic .... I took a benadryl.  Good grief it hurt .... so I put an ice pack on it to dull the pain.  It didn't help one bit.  I finally propped my foot up high on the top of the couch and remained perfectly still.

It took well over an hour for the pain to finally subside.  I don't know what the heck those ants are, but that colony won't be alive much longer.  I'm usually live and let live (except for scorpions) but these guys have got to go!!

My plan for the afternoon was to get groceries (I made up a list this time and tacos are NOT on it) and to check out some toys for the zoo critters.  I ended up doing neither because when I put my shoes on, it hurt like I couldn't believe.

How boring .... I spent the day on the couch because of a lousy little ant.  That's it for me folks .....

Ants - 1     Nancy - 0



12 comments:

  1. Sounds like that might be Fire Ants. Set up on a Site in Florida at dusk only to step on a nest. My legs were swollen for weeks from the Toxins in their bites.
    Be Safe and stay away from them. Enjoy your recovery.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I've heard. I never knew there were fire ants anywhere around here. Nasty little critters.

      Delete
  2. Yep, Fire Ant. You might get a little white head on it, and it might break open...all typical. I had about 5 or 6 bites once myself. There is a good killer available at Home Depot or Lowes or even Amazon if you can wait that long. You GOT to get on them, they will just get worse and worse. Infest into USA was back in 1930's, into California stared in 1998, in Merced area was in 2010. Very common in Florida and Arkansas....all over the south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea!! When you buy property here, they are required to put in writing that this entire town is on a big ant hill. I never heard mention of fire ants!

      Delete
  3. Hope your foot is feeling better today. If it is those Fire Ants we have encountered them in Texas but luckily never been bit.
    I read you will be taking a Taco Cooking Class that sounds like fun.
    Got to love, it the little zoo gets to many donations and then they cut back on the funding. Our government at work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foot is much better. That was an experience I won't forget any time soon!! Yup that's our government ... cutting back on everything but their salaries!!

      Delete
  4. Sure sounds like fire aunts to me. I stepped on a nest in the long grass with my sandals on when we stopped on the side of the road in Texas, Got back in to drive the coach an my feet were on fire. Quickly pulled over again sat on the step and brushed them all off , Suzie got rid on them inside around the gas pedal. My feet were in fire had about 20 bites benadryl helped and they all got white blisters that subsided in a few weeks. Had scars on my legs and feet for well over a year. Lucky you only got one bite. Get the special fire aunt killer right away. They will do a lot of damage to your dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered about the dogs. Gosh ... these things are terrible. I'll get right on it.

      Delete
  5. Dave hit it right on Home Depot and Lowe's do the whole yard
    Nasty little buggers if you use the granulated kind have your lawn guy spreads it Then turn your sprinklers on for about 15 minutes each zone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do exactly that. Thank you for the info!! Course I probably made them pretty mad with the Roundup I sprayed down their hole. LOL

      Delete
  6. I've had no experience with fire ants but heard lots of stories. And now even more stories! Nasty things!
    I hope the pain subsides, with all the inventions has no one come up with something to at least ease the pain? Feel better soon, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benadryl as far as I know. Ice only seemed to make it worse!! I'm on the warpath now!!

      Delete