Saturday, October 28, 2017

Sadie Hawkins Beats Halloween!!!

Everyone at the Patch is counting down the minutes.  Those who work the long day shifts are tired and ready to call it quits!  Unfortunately, Sadie Hawkins Day beats out Halloween when it comes to the teenage set.  Half the crew has either taken the day off, or for those that didn't get the day off, called in sick.  When you have 3-400 people coming to the Patch, it means Nancy has to work the final weekend.  It's okay ... I like to help.

Here's a sample of yesterday's activities.  This is the Dino Dig.  Covered with sand every night, there are dinosaur bones to be discovered.  There are ten kids there, along with 25 adults ... a typical school group.
My last seed planting was for a group of daycare kids.  That's right, 2-3 year olds, planting seeds in a cup of dirt.  You can imagine how well that went over, but who cares, it was my last class.  Or so I thought.  Out of the blue came 40 third graders who added on at the last second.  I was short of dirt, but made it work.  DONE!!!  I turned in my seeds and markers for the year!!

Since gem mining is a weekend favorite, I filled 187 bags with "gems", then took on the daunting task of filling the bags to the top with the required "dirt" (course sand actually).  It's kind of a fun job if you're in the shade during the 90 degree heat of the day.  I was on my knees to ease the back stress when our tractor driver from Serbia came over and grabbed my hand.  

Not sure what was going on, I must have looked at him rather funny.  "In my country, women do NOT get on their knees for any reason.  I will do this for you."  Wow ... a knight in a bright orange T-shirt!!  Okay then!!  I showed him the easy way of dumping out the gems, than using my cast off plastic cup to fill them in three quick scoops, which also distributes the gems.  I drove the tractor, he scooped the gems.  What a deal!!
Today I'm the Gate Guard.  You just can't imagine how many people try to sneak in.  I personally have caught eight ... others probably more.  With it being a big day, the entry line extends clear to the parking lot, so my job will be to sell wristbands $5 or $10 for cash only and let them through the back gate.  They were hesitant at first .... seems Sean is a 6' tall 250 pound guy and has kept the masses at bay so far.  Oh believe me folks, no one will get by MY gate!!  Cranky old women can carry just as much weight as the men!!

I got a big surprise at the end of the day yesterday .... one of the best cheeseburgers I've ever had.  Scott and Michelle are great people to work for and are overworked more than you can imagine.  I try to tend to things I can to give them more free time .... like giving everyone their breaks without being told to do so and making up those gem bags without being asked.  It's just what I do.  As a thank you, Michelle brought me dinner.  You can't imagine how much that little cheeseburger meant to someone who has been eating tuna and noodles for the last week!!  It was AMAZING!!  

So I'm off for another day!!  Four days and counting DOWN!!






6 comments:

  1. Looks like we're keeping the same countdown. You for end of the Pumpkin Patch and us for the Road.
    Keeping busy makes the time fly by.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we ARE!!! The difference is I can't wait for it to end my trip ... you can't wait to get your's started!! LOL

      Delete
  2. When you do make that 'big move' to Arizona, you will need to open up a Cactus Patch... Amazing job you have been doing there Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now THAT might be fun ... although I'm to sure where I'd get the pumpkins!!

      Delete