Monday, October 2, 2017

I'm On A Roll ... Temporarily

You may or may not have heard about the recent happenings in Yosemite National Park.  Pieces of El Capitan, the rock climbers paradise, have been calving off the face of the rock wall.  Water seeps into cracks, freezes overnight, and causes the cracks to become bigger.  Pretty soon the rock face breaks away and falls to the rock piles below.

Unfortunately, there were climbers staging at the bottom.  One was able to escape with injuries.  The other was not so lucky.  Since then there have been several more calvings, including this one as seen by two climbers who just topped out at the summit.  You can see their ropes hanging over the edge on the bottom left side of the photo.

No one was hurt in this rock fall, but the roads on this side of the valley are now closed.  The rock slide was so huge, it went across the road into the meadow beyond.  Nature can be amazing and devastating.
My cooking .... not so amazing.  This pulled pork didn't turn out too bad however.  Chop up a pork loin in three inch pieces, dust it with onion and garlic powder, then place in your Instant Pot.  Pour in a cup of Dr. Pepper soda.  Personally, I prefer Pepsi, but Dr. Pepper it was this time.  Mighty tasty after 50 minutes on high, natural release.  I've got lunch and dinner all week long.  YAY ... I think!  There's only so many ways you can eat pulled pork.
You can't do anything around here without Cooper's ball appearing somewhere close by.  I whipped up a batch of peanut butter cookies, which quickly let me know my oven needs adjustment.  It was a close one, but when I discovered they were cooking so unevenly, I turned the pan around, saving the day.
Next up ... flan.  I love this Instant Pot version.  The hardest part is finding a trivet that fits inside to set the bowls on ... making a two story stack of goodness.  I'm on a ROLL!!
Or at least I was.  I finally finished the last two squares for this quilt.  I carefully laid it out on the bed for a picture, only to discover I'm STILL missing two squares.  RATS!!  I thought I was DONE!  Back to the sewing machine, I completed the bear to fill in the blanks.  Once it's all sewn together, I'll take another picture.
So this morning, I'm off to the Pumpkin Patch to play teacher.  Kind of nervous ... I have no idea how many kids or what age they are, not to mention I have no clue how much or really what kind of TEACHING I have to do.  I'm truly going in blind, mostly because of that orange T-shirt.  I'll let you know if I survive!!







8 comments:

  1. You have been cooking up a storm, enjoy your puller pork always so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ... it's one of the things I can actually make that's edible!!

      Delete
  2. Why not use a Bacon rack design for a microwave dozens of different kinds and cheap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cheap, but microwave cleaning is the pits ... and the racks are too small. I'd rather do an entire package at once and keep it in the freezer. Quick breakfast!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Nancy,
    If I remember correctly you have a smoker, why not make your own Bacon? I go to Costco and buy 10 lbs. of pork belly cut it in half and make 5 lbs. at a time. Bacon keeps every well in the freezer. Thanks for the information on the Instant Pot I love mine.

    JWM,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like the Instant Pot, Jim. ME TOO!! Best thing I ever bought for the kitchen. Haven't tried smoking bacon ... that might be fun!!

      Delete
  4. Let me see if I get this right you spend over $100 to fix your mailbox with the dingbat knocked over I go bang on the door and ask her for $100 bill but your reminder that knocking over A mailbox Is also a federal offense
    Just tell her you got it on your security camera for $100 you will erase it
    As far as your mailbox at the post office goes you can have as many as you want you do not need to put your name at the top is long as the box number the city and ZIP Code correct
    Actually for security reasons your bank and your credit card/ tax bill should go to your box number
    And for added security you should be able to use your special pin to access all of those accounts online
    Only bill that comes to this house is my tax bill all the rest are card debited an Verified online
    Also the credit reporting agency's have a Social Security messaging if your SS numbers is every used it alerts you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried ... they refused. Said I never SAW them do it. I'm old fashioned ... I like to have that bill in hand for the IRS (on paper I did NOT pay for). Eventually I'm sure it will all be paperless.

      Delete