Monday, October 9, 2017

My Stomach Has A Headache

I know I've shown you the goats before, but they are just too cute!!  As soon as they see you coming, they all jump up and head straight for you, like kids looking for candy.
I crashed big time Sunday, having been up sick most of the night.  There's nothing like having a headache in your stomach all night long.  The morning didn't bring any relief, so I curled up on the couch with the puppies, where I slept on and off for about four hours.  Nice!!!  

Still not feeling up to par, I tried something bland, like toast, followed by half of a homemade Snickers candy bar.  I never said I was a nurse.  In the late afternoon it got a little better.  The only thing that sounded good to eat was the second half of that candy bar.  Better minds prevailed as I grabbed a water bottle instead.  

Catching up on the previous week, I hauled four quilts to my quilting lady, where I found her making pillow cases.  What in the world?  She had about 30 of them.  Come to find out, her grandson had just been diagnosed with leukemia.  The good news is that it's the curable kind, thank goodness.  He will however, undergo treatment for a total of three years.  I had no idea.

That's three years living at home, or at Grandma's.  Having spent a lot of time at Children's Hospital, she discovered the kids would just LOVE to have something of their own during their time there.  Pillowcases and soft fabric masks (which they have to wear all the time) are on their top list of needs. 

I stopped on the way home and purchased over $100 worth of material to make pillow cases for both teenagers (shown here) and little kids (full of kitties and bunnies).  It's a simple pattern.  Too bad it wasn't that easy to change my embroidery machine into a regular sewing machine.  
I picked up enough fabric for 38 cases, all of which are cut out and ready to sew.  Since my stomach wasn't feeling up to par, I only got a couple completed.  I'll probably have to wait until after October 30th and the end of the Pumpkin Patch to continue this project.  It's for a great cause!!  

Her neighborhood is having a potluck and auction to help the family defray expenses.  I'm sure I've got a couple quilts around I can donate to the cause.  
In fact, I like these pillowcases so much, I think I'll make a couple for myself.  Nothing cheers up your bedroom like beautiful fabric on your bed.

I'm off early to the Patch this morning, facing 300 cups that need holes poked in the bottom.  Four at a time with a thin screwdriver seems to do the job.  Do I have seed classes today?  I have no idea.  There is a big book with every days schedule ... I just can't seem to get access to the book.  It's okay, because if there are no classes, I get to drive the tractor .... my FAVORITE!!!



6 comments:

  1. Just hate hearing and seeing so many children with Cancer these days. It used to be something only middle aged to seniors contracted not the little ones. What are we doing to this world to cause all this.
    That's a great idea for lifting the spirits of those children.
    Surviving with lite snacks throughout your day will serve two purposes. 1. It will help you start holding things down. 2. It will allow your inner stomach to shrink helping that diet you started a while back. (Unfortunately it's hard to eat sensibly when traveling.)
    Be Safe and Enjoy your day at the Pumpkin Patch.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the light snacks .. worked perfectly! Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Glad that you are starting to feel better. That sewing project sure sounds like a very worthwhile things to do . Helping the Kids to have something of their very own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are "sew" easy and turn out like a professional did them!!

      Delete
  3. I find when I buy queen sheets the pillowcases are too small and end up buying king cases separately. I think now I'll make my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post the pattern when I get a chance Jan. It's a no-seam showing one that turns out beautiful large-enough cases.

      Delete