Sunday, October 29, 2017

Am I Counting?? YES!!!

It started off quietly yesterday.  Although there were people waiting in line at 10:00 when they open, they pretty much came in waves.  The cue would be full to the brim, then empty for a time.  Previously, anyone who came to the Patch was allowed FREE entry.  Only the kids who wanted to ride the rides had to pay.

The "rides" consist of the Time Travel Tractor, The Hay Ride, The Corn Maze and the Bounce Pillow.  The Hay Maze and Dino Dig are free.  Naturally, people being people, they all wanted EVERYTHING for free.  They began to steal pumpkins and tear things up.  To keep the hoards a little under control, this year a new policy was instituted and the CUE was built.  You pay $5 to enter and you either get $5 worth of food or $5 off your pumpkin.

Of course some people didn't like that idea at ALL.  Occasionally they just say Oh Hell No and walk out.  The good news is there has been no stolen pumpkins (that they know of) and no trying to steal the dinosaurs.  Yes ... they literally tried to load up a dinosaur.
Even with that, you just can't imagine how many people I caught trying to sneak in yesterday.  I was the gate guard.  Two couples hid their children under the counter so the girl couldn't see them and didn't charge them.  One lady tried to bring in her "companion" dog, with no paperwork, just a cute felt vest she had sewn.  

Many just tried to walk right by the pay booth AND me, to no avail.  I'm a great white shark when it comes to things like that!!  The family who each held an $8 Starbucks drink in their hand refused to pay ... too expensive they said.  The gangbangers with prison tattoos seemed to have lots of money.  We get them all here.  

Occasionally, I'll throw in a few dollars myself.  There was a very nice looking religious family (I won't name names) who I really think could not afford it.  The children were totally disappointed.  They paid for the kids, I paid for the parents.  I also doled out some tokens for parents to ride the Time Travel Tractor with their kids.  I always tell them to pass it on when they can.  A little kindness goes a long way.
My view for most of the day.  Gate guarding is not hard, but it CAN be hot.  It was 87 degrees at the Patch yesterday.  I think someone made a mistake and it's really still August.  Good grief Charlie Brown, it's practically NOVEMBER and it's 87 degrees!!  The men felt sorry for me standing in the sun, although I was pretty creative about curling myself around the price sign to stay in the shade.  Even a listing umbrella helped ...  A LOT!!!
At 5:00 I finally left with my dogs screaming.  I guess during the week when I'm sitting down driving the tractor, it's giving my feet more relief than I imagined.  I just keep thinking of the prize ... this will pay for all my diesel fuel next year.  TWO AND A HALF DAYS TO GO .... we close early on Tuesday.










6 comments:

  1. It takes all kinds to make a world just too bad people can't all be honest. Nice of you to pass it along.
    I didn't think your prize was that good. Congratulations.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all worth it ... being around mostly nice people!!

      Delete
  2. Nice that you are almost done. Yes being on your feet all is pretty hard on you feet and back, Did me in in my restaurant for 10 years at 70 to 100 hours a week on my feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! I don't know how you did that. My feet were dying after the first day of standing!!

      Delete
  3. But will it pay for the 'fuel tax' in California too? (which, as you know, goes up AGAIN in 3 days....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I play my cards right, I only have to buy two tanks of fuel in California. Everything else will be Arizona!!

      Delete