Saturday, June 24, 2017

Meet Lizzy ....

It's fun living out in the desert where critters roam.  The best part of all is that I actually live in a subdivision of one acre lots, so I have plenty of neighbors, but they are far enough away it feels like no one is around.  That's when the critters come out.

Meet Lizzy!  She crawls up my little concrete block wall every morning and hangs out on the corner surveying her territory.  About 6:30 she climbs down to the grass for a few morning snacks.  I'm pretty sure I'm the only house in the entire subdivision with grass and rose bushes!!
Once done with that, she crawls BACK up the wall and hangs out in the shade of a terra cotta pot.  It's a ritual ..... every morning.  When it starts to heat up, she hides at the base of the bushes in the shade.

Lizzy's cousin Bob tried to sneak in the garage one day.  He made it past the scorpion sticky trap on the way in, but wasn't so lucky on the way out.  He WAS in luck this day however, as I was able to peel him off the sheet trying my best NOT to get bit.  He ran like the wind back into the desert, probably carrying a ton of tiny pebbles on his belly.  I hope he survived.
The weather here remains a little weird ... one day early last week it rained buckets of water in about five minutes.  No, the roof on the rig was NOT repaired.  YIKES!!  That reminds me, I need to ask for Dan's help on that one.  At any rate, the rain made this cactus bloom with some beautiful flowers.  I got a quick picture with my phone, figuring to get a better one with my camera later.  

Turns out these guys only bloom for one day.  When I went back, they were all dried up and gone.  RATS!!  I'll keep an eye on them ... maybe I'll capture them better next time.
It's been hot with spells of rain, as you can see by the radar.  With the temperatures back in the 90's at the end of this week, it will be time for me to head back to California.  I'm not looking forward to that trip ... Quartzsite, where I spend the night, will be a scorcher!!
Remember I mentioned we went to Saguaro Corners for Father's Day?  Here's the John Wayne Burger, about five inches of burger, bacon, barbecue sauce and fried onions.  I ate the whole thing!!
Dinner last night was at the Last Chance Ranch, where Dan cooked T-bones to perfection and Chef Patty made grilled corn on the cob and a green salad, coupled with my potato salad.  YUM!!  

For now, it's back to working on pictures ... those javelinas are just waiting for my photoshop touch!!




2 comments:

  1. Remembering the warmth of Quartzsite the last few weeks we were there and seeing that it was 90 F when it was still dark those daytime one teens must be scorchers.
    Love the nature shots.
    Get your roof fixed.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure nighttime lows of 90 are not good .. neither are highs of 115. I'm pretty sure I won't be spending any Junes in Arizona again!!

    ReplyDelete