Saturday, June 17, 2017

A Man With A Tractor

As you may know, Mr Chance has a tractor. A backhoe to be exact. Nothing comes in handier than a backhoe when you have 48 feet of 24" trench to dig. Once we figured out where to dig, Dan put in some hard labor at the end of a shovel to get past the gas and power lines at the beginning. That was certainly interesting finding wires that went nowhere.

On the other end, Dan dug a hole for the pedestal. I'm allergic to shovels.   About that time the last load of gravel came for the driveway. I was cornered. Time to pay the piper Harvey Trucking for a total of 12 loads.  Ouch!!!

With that completed, we headed off to Lowes for supplies. I'm sure I saw tears coming from my credit card. Then came the hard work. Dan on the tractor and me in the trench with the shovel (I broke out in a rash from the allergic reaction) we crossed the driveway in an hour or so.

Time for pulling wire through the conduit. We did it one piece at a time to preclude any problems. Since I was in the hole, Dan gave me the blue goo. Be careful not to get that on you. It was too late. Blued and glued, we finished in no time. While I ran off to pick up the actual power box, Dan installed a water line. Might as well have it all while the trench is open.

Yup I got pictures, but the blog doesn't like my phone, so you'll be aptly inundated when my computer returns - IF it returns.

Today the handyman/contractor will come by to double check our work and wire the box. Maybe I'll have power for the rig by noon. In the meantime, I'm watching Miss Jessie closely. Last night she either pulled a muscle or pinched a nerve. She's stove up like a rock. She's walking, but you can tell she's hurting.  Either way, there's not much I can do.  I'll give it til Monday.

It's heating up in the high desert. Although Tucson and Green Valley show highs of 117 (OH MOMMA), it's only getting to 108 here in Vail. Which reminds me - Dans son Mark has a pool and they are out of town. I may just have to sneak over there!!  Or maybe its time to hit the road!!!

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Boy howdy Jan!!!! I've never drank this much water in my life!!!!

      Delete
  2. What gauge wire is the electrician want for 50 amp? 50 amp always sounds so huge, but it is actually just 2 25 amp circuits. Lots of hard work but so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8 gauge wire Don and a 24" deep trench. All in all it's not rocket science, but it sure is hard work!!!

      Delete
  3. Don, it is my understanding that it is actually 2 50 amp wires. One 50 amp for each of the two sides to the plug. You actually get 100 amps when it is properly wired. Not that many of us could use 100 amps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No clue here, but it did take 4-8 gauge wires, two hot, a neutral and a ground. All I know is it works!! Lol

      Delete
  4. That post on 100 amps was from me. Nancy, I hope your travels when you get to them are better than Nick and Terry. Good luck when you do leave. By the way, it seems to be costing you more to sit in Vail, than to travel to the Northwest. Do the math and get a move on it. Good Luck. Jim M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, me too Jim. They've had horrible luck!! I'll be back on the road soon heading to cooler temperatures. One thing for sure, I know I'll appreciate those cooler temps!!!

      Delete
  5. Back in 2012 Bubba pulled/tore his ACL...they (vet who does operations) wanted to operate, but the vet who diagnosed him said that in time, they usually can recover, and told us to give him Glucosamine Chondroitin with our without MSM, that was our choice. Well, we give Bubba a does of it once a day, he is FINE. (Normal dosage calls for two doses a day) It is something you can pick up at PetSmart, PetCo, or through Amazon, no prescription needed. DOUBT that is what Jessie has, but if so, you now know that surgery is not always the answer. BTW, Bubba does limp now and then in the morning, or after he has been laying down for a long time, but quickly goes back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info Dave. I had some anti-inflammatory the Vet gave me, so I gave her one early in the morning. That and rest did wonders. She's almost back to normal. I'm thinking strained muscle or a pinched nerve. Sure glad she's okay - I don't need another Vet bill!!

      Delete
  6. After all the work of digging the trench I hope you also ran a Sewer Line. Might as well go for broke. Owning a House normally gets you there pretty quick.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A sewer line would be nice too, but the systems here aren't as big as in California (I worked at a construction company that installed systems - learned more than I ever wanted to know) plus it would cost more. Better to dump at the fairgrounds just a few miles away or the Free State rest area dumps. We did put in a water line though, just in case I decided I needed one later.

    ReplyDelete