Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Coyote .... Up Close And Personal

Another crises averted.  Not really a crises, but my brain goes berserk when things like this happen, making me THINK it's a crisis!!  I have to admit, I don't think I've ever sweat so much in my LIFE!!

I awoke to the AC motor running, but it sounded like a little man was in there with a hammer.  My problem was who do I call?  The Trane AC warranty is not yet in my name because I never received paperwork for the property signed by BOTH parties, which is what they wanted to transfer the 10 year warranty to me.  The AC unit is only ONE year old.

If I call the Home Warranty people, whose number I didn't have, they could send out a fly-by-night guy who probably wouldn't be able to fix such a large unit (least that's been my experience).  My last option was to call someone the Chance family recommends.  I tried the last two options.

Home Warranty said someone would call in two hours.  No one did, so I called THEM!  They don't service this area ... it's too far from Casa Grande where they live.  As the inside temperatures rose, I fixed up the rig for occupancy and turned THAT air on.  At least the animals would be cool.

I called Home Warranty back and little Miss Jessie wasn't happy that I was unhappy.  After putting me on hold for ten minutes, she gave me a new name ... All Arctic Air ... but said she did not have their phone number.  Then she "forgot" to send the repair call to them.

As the heat rose even higher, I deposited the animals in the rig and searched the internet for a phone number.  GOT EM!!  A very nice man said he would stop in before the end of the day.  I deposited myself on the couch to wait.  Lo and behold, he showed up at noon.

What a nice guy ... been in the business 40 years he said, as his trainee began work on the unit.  When the second cover came off, he said "there's your problem" ... they overcharged the system so much that freon gets drawn back into the compressor, causing it to run terrible, like water in your gas tank.  He discharged some freon and just like that I had a working system again.  Thank you Kevin!!

Although it's not quite as fast to cool as before, it worked it's way down to a nice 79 degrees.  When it's 107 outside, that's pretty acceptable.  So on with the pictures!!

Here's a shot of my back yard where I sit and keep watch while the puppies roam the grass.  You can never be too careful when there are coyotes around.
This lone deer came by a couple of times to graze on the trees, but when the coyotes showed up, the deer disappeared.
Here he is ... cute little guy!!  It's very hard to get coyote images.  They usually come by in the dark and are very wary creatures.  I had just snapped a picture of the sunrise.  He saw me about the same time I saw him, and he froze, as did I.  Slowly I raised the camera and snapped away.  
He stood perfectly still, watching me watching him.
The only thing that moved were his ears.  Finally, the snapping of the camera lens was more than he could take, and he ran off into the scrub brush.  I didn't see any others around and this guy was very young, so I imagine he may be on his own.  What a beauty though ... 
Last night as I was letting the dogs out, I spotted two more javelinas just below my fence.  I almost got one picture before he snorted and ran faster than lightning down the hill out of site.  I'm not kidding, that guy ran faster than a race horse.  He was booking it, snorting and squealing all the way!!!  This morning I saw evidence they came back last night for revenge, knocking over the water bucket again.  

Time is getting short here ... I'm starting the pack-up so I can head North to cooler temperatures.  Time to start making up my list of to-do's.



10 comments:

  1. Glad the AC was an easy fix but I've never heard of a system being overcharged.
    Watch out for the Coyotes. Their numbers have been increasing and they are sometimes hunting in packs.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of that AC problem either, but apparently it happens quite often. Maybe it's just with the new systems ... this one being built in 2015.

      Delete
  2. The only way to overcharge the AC is through installer error. We were always told that the AC system was only good for a 20 to 25 degree difference, so it sounds like yours is doing OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what he said Ray ... installer error. People think it should give you 75 degrees on a 115 degree day, so they put in more freon. The service guy said that can kill the motor.

      Delete
  3. 60 degrees this morning, 89 later today in Citrus Heights....yes, much cooler than where you are. Are you headed to Oregon later in the summer???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for the cool air of California!! LOL Yes, heading to Oregon, I'm just not sure exactly when.

      Delete
    2. Hope to see you up there...we have no set plans yet, but we KNOW we are going to be along the coast to cool down. (Although today it will only be 89, and is 59 right now...not bad)

      Delete
  4. A tech from the A/C company over charged our system. After finding that out, I intermediately found a new company that we used until I sold the home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guy said it's a common problem. I'm glad I found out before it ruined the entire unit, even if it IS under warranty!!

      Delete
  5. Coyote is one of the deadliest predators that possess unimaginable environment adaptability ability. It is a creature not to mess with unless you have the best coyote call with you. These calls whether electronic or manual come handy in do-or-die situation.
    https://www.prohunters.club/best-coyote-call-electronic-mouth-call-predator-callers/

    ReplyDelete