Saturday, September 28, 2024

Work Day #1

We are about 33 days from Halloween (I didn't count exactly) and it's STILL 95-100 degrees here.  Whoever is pulling the string dragging us closer to the sun, would you please quit?  Just like everything else, it's cyclical ... you can look back over the years and see its happened before, but boy would I like to see some cool weather again.  I'm a flannel shirt/levis gal with very few summer things to wear.  

Surprisingly however, I received my PG&E usage assessment and I'm in the lowest percentage of homes in my entire town, even with my AC going quite often.  I guess I'm also just a desert girl.

This was pretty amazing to watch ... the hurricane Helene (don't you wonder who names these things?) started out as just a storm.  One minutes it looked like this .....


And the next it looked like THIS!!  Yikes!!  I guess if you were born there, you get used to it.  I'm hoping they get everyone's power back on quickly.  


I got up at the usual time, but my normal schedule was not to happen.  Shades of getting up and going to work flew through my head.  I'm seriously not liking this so much, but off I headed to the OFFICE.  The doors were locked and there were no cars in the parking lot.  I was SURE the bookkeeper was there, so I called and she came to open the door.  Rarely is the kitchen ever closed down, which is my normal entrance.

I plopped in the chair and looked around.  There is stuff stacked everywhere from the floor halfway to the ceiling.  How anyone could work in this mess is beyond me.  I contemplated completely tearing the place apart, but decided it wasn't my problem.   First things first, check for emails.  

My oh my ... the secretary doesn't erase anything.  This is crazy!!  I spent more time hunting for things than I did doing work because nothing is bookmarked.  You have to look up every program.  I guess it works for her, but it could be SO much easier to navigate!!  I'm beginning to see why it takes so long to get the work done.

It took us several tries to print out membership cards for folks who came in and paid.  The problem was how to put the sheet cards in the printer.  That brought on rounds of laughter as we missed the right spot time after time.

If it weren't for the bookkeeper, I probably would have gone screaming out the door.  There were lots of payments for Jamboree tickets to process, before I went looking for our mail.  We actually have a slot where the mail falls into a box.  This time it included several payments for dues.  Oh boy, another huge computer program to be learned in ten minutes.  Luckily I figured that out in record time.  TADA!!  I actually did something RIGHT!!  

The next hour was spent on my phone.  I wanted SO badly to reorganize everything so I could at least get my feet under the desk, and my fingers in between the file folders in the drawer, but I figured it wasn't my space, so I should leave it alone.  It could be ever so much more efficient.

After five hours, I headed out the door.  I had packages being delivered and I didn't want them stolen off the porch like my neighbor had happen the day before.  Here it is ... my new floor mats for the rig.  Rather hard to get in place because it's one big piece, but it fits perfectly.  Yeah, it's flexible plastic rubber-ish not rubber, but hopefully will last a long time.   At least now when Cooper's water spills, it won't run under the seat and into the electronics.


Next up, I forked out the money for a doggie ramp.  The one I was trying to make on the cheap just wasn't going to work.   It was not Cooper approved.  Neither is this one, but he's at least using it ... sort of.  It's completely adjustable, so I kept it low to begin with. 

He jumped up on the old set up last week and went completely sideways, falling to the floor.  I'm hoping this will curtail the jumping part.  It also has a handle, so it's easy to carry and will lay flat.  It's a little wide, leaving me zero space when seated on the couch in the rig, but it will work with a little practice.


As for the quilts ... they are all on hold.  The second I got home, I crashed on the couch ... even missing the latest and almost the last rodeo of the season.  I guess I've just been away from working for too long.  That is a GOOD thing! 


I would like to have a day off, but alas, I'm headed for a fundraiser dinner.  When Bingo donates money, many times it is to buy a "table" at a fundraiser.  There have been times when no one showed UP for that dinner ... a complete no-no in my book.  Whoever gets the tickets should GO!!  It makes us look bad if you do not attend.

This one is for an elementary school cheer squad who is actually going to the National Finals in Florida.  A good portion of our donations go to school organizations like baseball, soccer, swim teams and football.  In fact, we were recently named number one in the central district for donations to school children.  How cool is that!!

The good news is I will have ALL DAY SUNDAY to gear up for another fascinating day as Secretary!!






4 comments:

  1. You go girl! Those mats are perfect!
    Hopefully you can rest a bit this weekend but I doubt it because your just like me and can't sit still. Lol
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could NEVER go back to work...don't know how you can do it even for 2-3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the secretary is just too overwhelmed with the job and needs someone to help her clean up. Might be worth asking when she returns.
    The Mats look good for the Van.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete