Sunday, September 22, 2024

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

It's the first day of Fall.  If you told me that, I wouldn't believe you.  It was 70 degrees overnight, with a high of 92 today.  That doesn't sound like FALL weather to me!!  Pretty soon we'll be cooking that Thanksgiving turkey while we lay in the sun by the pool!!  I don't even want to TALK about Christmas!!

There was a lot more talk yesterday about fuel.  Here's what we discovered.  Even though my friend and I have the same engine in our camper vans, hers says she can use MAX B20 fuel .... mine says MAX B5 fuel.  After talking to everyone and doing a little more research, just plain old #2 diesel is the best.  

It's not much of a problem anywhere except California, or so I'm told.  I mean surely you wouldn't expect California to be like all the other states!  It's also interesting to note that Flying J and Pilot have switched to B20.  No problem there, their prices have become so outlandish that I would not stop there anyway. 

And so to further my research, I left sleeping dogs lie while I headed out to the (shhhhhhh) Fabric Store.


I stopped by a Sinclair station and a Union 76 station to find that both sold diesel #2, before heading to my usual Quik Stop who also sells diesel #2.  It's funny, I never bothered to look before.  While there, I fueled up my truck.  This is my go-to station, about 15 miles down the road.  It was $4.39 a gallon.  The Sinclair station was $5.69.  The Arco station around the corner is $5.49, so obviously it pays to shop around when you are filling up a 50 gallon tank.


Sleeping dogs were still laying around as I hit the (shhhhhh) fabric store!


I was looking for the light green border this panel needed to make it pop!  Sadly, it looked terrible with that color.  I found out that all Yellowstone Elk panels are not alike.  I ended up with a pea soup green.  It really does look a little better in person.  I'm hoping the flying geese around the edges will fly in on their own and not cause me troubles.  There's a lot more math involved in those.


When I got home, sleeping dogs were still sleeping.  Mr. Cooper always greets me at the door, but apparently his hearing is not what it once was.  This time I caught him snoozing.


I know, too many doggie pictures, but I can't help it.  Back to the diesel question ... though I used to look for truck stops for fuel, it appears I will be heading to gas stations instead.  It is interesting however that ALL fuel in Bakersfield is a dollar cheaper PER GALLON than where I am.  Why is that???


Dinner was terrible.  I admit, that happens quite often around here, which is why I like Panda Express and Marie Callendars.  I tried the parmesan on the crust grilled cheese and tomato sandwich.  I used WAY too much parmesan.  Though it didn't taste all that bad, it made me sick as a dog who was NOT sleeping.  It could have been the expired by 6 months parmesan.  

My tip of the day is do NOT try this.


Oh LOOK who's awake just in time to go to BED!!  This is his you-just-try-to-take-my-toy-away stance.


Now that I have the diesel figured out, it's on to why my propane tank is almost empty after NO use.  I guess we know what THAT means!!!

Last question ... I want to put tire monitoring sensors on the wheels of this rig, but the inside dual is unreachable.  Can I put an extension on that?  And where might I have THAT done?  




7 comments:

  1. Chevron diesel costs a bit more but I have not had any problems with its performance in my engine.
    Love the Elk quilt!
    Happy Sunday!.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete



  2. Mr. Ed said I wouldn’t lie to you.
    Diesel fuels are classified 1D, 2D, and 4D. Low speed, stationary units use 4D fuels. 4D fuel is not appropriate for most mobile equipment. On-highway and mobile equipment use 1D and 2D fuels.
    Diesel #1 is also known as winter diesel because it performs better than Diesel #2 in cold temperatures. It has a lower viscosity and is not prone to gel in freezing temperatures. Most stations offer a premium Diesel mix that is blended for local weather conditions. Diesel #2 costs less at the pump.
    Don’t get that confused with a AG diesel. that usually today with die and no tax you can use it with no adverse effect
    Know if you really need to get technical and we were all taught this long time ago. We have no control over most of it but he has a technical aspect.
    The technical definition of biodiesel is as follows:
    * Biodiesel, n - a fuel comprised of mono-alkyl esters of long-chain fatty acids derived from vegetable oils or animal fats, designated B100, and meeting the requirements of ASTM D 6751.
    * Biodiesel Blend, n - a blend of biodiesel fuel meeting ASTM D 6751 with petroleum-based diesel fuel, designated BXX, where XX represents the volume percentage of biodiesel fuel in the blend.
    Now, as you noticed your bio diesel blend N simply means it’s a blend … the x -xx-xxx that you see is the amount percentage added to the diesel fuel
    It is simple as that in a nutshell
    Go to the gas station and you buy gasoline. You can buy regular mid grade, or premium or super premium … you will notice that on the pump it will say this product contains X percentage of ethanol added,. the only exception some gas stations will sell you non-ethanol, which is what you should be using for your lawn mowers generators because the ethanol is not good for a small engine, to seals and varnishes the carburetors inside
    And also, it’s best to run non-ethanol, if you have a car that has a carburetor, you’ll get better performance, and better mileage, and no gumming up affect
    Your other question was why is Bakersfield cheaper? It’s because it sits in kern county which produces most of the fuel for California however, the price of fuel in Bakersfield as recently is the same price as LA so I guess no more free ride.
    Here in Florida the average price of diesel fuel is 335 to 365 per gallon
    My other question is you have a Costco card? What is the price of their diesel fuel and gasoline?
    Here in Florida we have bJ’s and Sam’s Club gasoline is 289 per gallon diesel fuel is 342 per gallon .. I can’t speak for Costco because I can’t afford their membership which literally has no savings to the customer but I do know that their gas is the same price
    Now, if it’s fuel prices, you’re trying to save there are a number of truckstop fuel card pilot loves flying J Murphy do the research that you could sign up for which gives you a substantial discount per gallon when you use their card
    If you don’t wanna go with the big dogs, you could always go with the banks
    NerdWallet's Best Gas Credit Cards of September 2024
    * Wells Fargo Autograph℠ Card: Best for 3X on gas and much more.
    * Citi Custom Cash® Card: Best for Up to 5% cash back.
    * Discover it® Cash Back: Best for Quarterly use + cash-back match.
    * Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express: Best for Families & households.
    Hope that helps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, and I forgot to mention gas buddy, is a free app to your phone give you the fuel prices, gas, regular or premium or diesel in your town, or across country

      Delete
  3. Our tire monitoring system gave so many ear-piercing false warnings that I made Dave take them off.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I know about diesel is bugga all, it is the fuel my sister's car runs on and it is dearer than petrol although some people (my husband) things it is cheaper I do not know know why he thinks that is the case does he not read the price when he at the servo anyway after two phone calls I have lost my train of thought so will leave now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok sorry I hit publish before I checked online about the fuel cost and damn Tim (hubby) he was right diesel is 10cents a litre cheaper then petrol at Costco

      Delete