Saturday, October 3, 2020

Not Quite As Planned

Up early again yesterday, I didn't smell any skunks.  I finally walked the fence line and surprisingly only found one big hole, which I promptly covered with steel fencing.  Here's one for your early morning breakfast routine ..... that skunk has been dumping his load (if you know what I mean) in the exact same spot in the corral.  

I kid you not, there a HUGE pile of you know what.  Marking his territory I suspect.  I going to grab a shovel and toss it over the fence ... maybe he will be confused enough to stay away.  Now that you probably don't even WANT any breakfast, I'll take you back to the Patch.

Nothing went as planned.  Not unusual in my world.  I began to set everything up when the boss arrived with supplies.  That was a good thing, as we were almost out of everything.  I cleaned all the counters and tables, then set about stocking up.  Ummm where might the cups be?


No cups for snowies (our version of snow cones in a cup).  I went about setting up the hotdogs and nachos while discussions ensued.  When the teenage girls showed up to work, they got my "quick training guide" which went in one ear and out the other.  I think I probably did the same at that age.  Still no cups.

The above is a good picture of the tractor I drive during the week.  This year there are half the number of hay bales to sit on and we have to constantly spray down the stair rails with sanitizer. 


 Aren't these sunflowers gorgeous?  Sadly, there is another fire up in Napa, which funnels all the smoke down to us.  We had a great couple of days, but are now enveloped in what looks like brown fog.  

Back to the snack bar, although I'm not officially in charge, but I seem to get credit for everything we do NOT have.  The spoon straws that go with the snowies are in short supply and no one ordered anything in advance (not my job).  At long last they found a box of 14 ounce cups.  Today people will get their money's worth until smaller cups can be located.

The "dude" of the day was a customer who tried to crowd the line by going to the side of the snack bar.  When told the line went that-a-way, he got in the real line, then complained that we served everyone else first.  Said he was going to file a complaint with management.  Be my guest ... I was so hot and tired, I didn't care if I got fired!  LOL

In the end, we weren't all that busy, which required I hawk hot dogs at the end of the night in a huge two for one sale.  People came like bees on honey and fed their families dinner.  It's a win-win!!

In all, things didn't go quite as planned.  I'm hoping it shapes up better today and tomorrow.  Lastly, my advice for the day.  If you work here at night, it's not a good idea to bring all your friends out to play.  Friends like to post things on Facebook and Instagram ... like pictures of them going down the slide.  Obviously, that's a no-no and now you have no-no job.

Mileage walked to date:  37.45


4 comments:

  1. All in all not a bad day. Lots of happy people and you're getting lots of exercise. My day was crawling for 40 feet under the MH laying wire for my new backup camera. Not fun but I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are going to LOVE the backup camera Doug. You are right, there were lots of happy people. The exercise ... well I need it, but oh the pain! LOL

      Delete
  2. Each year you go through the same thing, within a few days you have it going real smooth. As for staff who take advantage of the situation, no- no job is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Dave ... I was really hoping for that nice new organized building ... as to the staff, I can usually deal with them.

      Delete