Saturday, October 17, 2020

A Typical Day At The Pumpkin Patch

 Yup ... the Patch is alive and well.  The employees?  All tired, and we have two more long weeks to go!!  It takes a lot of work to keep everything up and running to meet the biggest crowds we've ever had every single day.

My first priority is getting the snack bar stocked to the brim.  I've finally learned to pack all the small stuff myself in the wagons we provide for pumpkin sales.  When the "boys" come in (all teenagers), they are immediately conscripted into hauling the water and sodas.  Once everything is well stocked, at least for the next couple of hours, I head off to the tractor.  It's the best part of the Patch for me.


 Although the sun does beat down on our 90 degree days, it gives me time to get an amazing farmers tan.  I also wave at the scarecrows every time I pass by ... it's good luck.


 Around the corner of the corn maze and into the goat barn area.  To the left is the puppet show Barnyard Squares, a takeoff on Hollywood Squares.  It's the "education" part for the kids.  I'm pretty sure even the parents learn where food comes from.  Surprisingly most people don't know.  Weird, yeah?  Check out the flowers.


 We had about 150 kids and adults yesterday morning where I did triple duty.  Driving, snack bar and bouncer.  There's one or two in every crowd.  

Once they have all left at noon, I get to sit in the office and sell entries to pumpkin buyers until 2:00.  This part I REALLY like ... there's air conditioning.  I consider this my lunch break, although there's no food involved.

From there, I'm back to stocking for the 300 hot dogs I have to make, along with 250 nacho trays.  I made a big mistake yesterday.  Because there was a big party with 25 hot dogs at once, I stayed in that area to make sure they were ready.  Sadly, I got stuck there where it was 25 degrees hotter than anywhere else on the property.  What a sweat shop!!!

Another movie night kept us open until 7:30.  I don't care if I EVER see another hot dog, although one did taste pretty good for dinner.

There's another 30 minutes of cleanup and sanitation before heading to the office to check out.  I got home at 8:30 and hit the hay.  THIS morning I'll do it all over again, only I'm going to take an hour's nap before I go.  

Distance Walked to date:  128.94 miles


 

6 comments:

  1. I wonder how many miles some of my wait-staff walked back in my restaurant days? One trick to being a good waiter/waitress is doing as much as you can in one trip walking through your section of the restaurant. NEVER walk through your area empty handed, always have coffee or water or Ice Tea, use your free hand to pick up an empty plate or two. For some it is hard for them to understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in awe of you being a Manager. These kids ... they have no clue and just stand there. I have to tell them every little thing to do.

      Delete
  2. Being on top of things truly makes any job easier. Try passing that advice to the young kids of today. They all figure sitting in front of a Computer is all they need to do.
    Be Safe and Enjoy what your doing.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so true. I'm having such a hard time getting them to WORK!!! They just stand there!!

      Delete
  3. You're making me feel tired. I'm sure I couldn't keep up with that routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a tough one Doug. Much more so this year with the crowds being HUGE.

      Delete