Monday, October 26, 2020

Another Epic Day

This picture is the calm before the storm.  We had another epic day at the Pumpkin Patch.  Imagine 2000 people standing there.  Oh things happened ... like the wheel fell off the water truck, putting it out of business for awhile.  My good old hay ride tractor decided to play race car and took off like a shot.  Luckily, that's what clutches are for.

It was so busy ...... how busy was it? ...... we built another parking lot in the middle of the pumpkin growing field.  This entire thing is a labor of love, not a money maker.  Finally this year, I think they make a dollar or two.


 I walked almost 8 miles keeping the snack shack going.  We ran out of everything from hot dog buns to nacho chips to soda.  Although I ordered big, they didn't want to BUY big for fear of being stuck with tons of product.  No worries there ... they kept having to go back to the store.


 Amazingly, there were no arguments or fights this year.  There was one small glitch when the birthday party played Do The Macarena a little too loud ... the neighbors a mile away could hear it ... but other than that, the crowds were very well mannered.  Unusual, to say the least.

This morning I'll be back at it.  Pumpkin sales are open at 11:00, giving me one more hour's rest.  Saturday night I didn't think I would make it ... Sunday I felt really strong.  Go figure.  Tuesday through Thursday we'll be teaching seed planting on the hay bales here in the barn. 


 I'm not sure this video will work ... I had a hard time getting it from my phone to my computer.  It's the 100 year old windmill they restored for the patch.  It's squeaks quite loudly.  The most interesting part, which you may not be able to see ... as the winds pick up, it goes faster and closes up.  As the wind dies down, it opens up like a flower.  Pretty cool.


 Five more days and I'm counting every minute.  When done, I'll be parked on the couch for at least three days!   I'll also be ten pounds lighter with a big smile on my face.

8 comments:

  1. Have never seen a windmill like that one. There is a large one that works up near Auburn at Machado's fruit stand, but the blades don't fold up. The video worked just fine for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen one before either. It was found locally.

      Delete
  2. Counting down the days I see. I would be too. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Counting the hours now ... I'm getting pretty tired.

      Delete
  3. What a pretty windmill and interesting that it closes and opens depending on the wind strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a sight to see. I've never seen another like it before.

      Delete
  4. I bet you cannot wait for the next 5 days to pass so you can relax and reflect on your past few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head. I'm ready for the couch!!!

      Delete