Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Counting The Hours

 I tink I got a code.  That's proof that masks don't work.  I've worn one all day, every day and STILL caught a cold from one of the lovely children who run around sneezing and never cover their mouth.  I'm hoping to skinny through to the end, which will be Saturday.

We usually close at noon ... then it was 3:00 (I could probably force myself) ... but now it's 5:00.  I'm pretty sure I'll hit my limit at three.

Here's some of the cutie pie pumpkins we sell.  Perfect mantle decorations for about two months.


We did have one fiasco at the snack bar yesterday.  We ran out of gloves.  Heavens to Betsy ... no gloves to make the most popular shaved ice.  On a saunter through the tent, I discovered the problem and had to bring sales to a screeching halt.  There was a mad dash to the shop to steal gloves from the cleaning crew, whereupon we were back in business.  


 Next up, we lost an entire family of children in the corn maze.  I don't go in there.  It's spooky and I always get lost, not to mention I have to stop and pick up tons of trash people just throw on the ground.

They were found out back in the almond orchard, walking the wrong direction.  

At noon I made a break for the border ... and ended up at KFC for an entire bucket of chicken ... minus the fries.  At least I'll have something to eat the rest of the week.  By the time I get home, I literally fall into bed. 

There were the usual complaints ... this pumpkin rotted away and I want it replaced.  Hmmm, looks to me like you dropped it and it smashed completely.  They don't fall apart like that in two days.  I never saw her again.

Why aren't the attractions open all day?  Because the Governor won't let us.  Take that up with him.  But your website says you open at 11:00.  Yes, but if you read three more words, it says "for pumpkin sales".

Then there was the family that invited another family to come with them and drove over 60 miles to get here.  Nothing was open except (again) pumpkin sales.  You really must read the website.  I told them it would be more fun for the kids to buy pumpkins and have a carving contest at home.  The kids were ecstatic and they did just that.  

I tell everyone else to hit the dollar menu at McDonalds and come back at 3:00.

And so the day went rather nicely until 6:00 when we had a missing 5 yr old child.  The gates are locked and kids immediately posted at every corner of the property until we find the lost one.  No one is allowed to leave, especially if they have small kids.  Eventually she was found sitting all alone in the barn.  I'll just leave it at that.

In the meantime, I took my "man" out of the garage so he would be ready for porch duty.  He scares the you-know-what out of me every time I walk by the door, thinking someone is in my house.  More pictures later.
 


 Here's hoping nothing weird happens the next five days.  I'm on the tractor tonight after I corral 40 kids and 50 adults for their field trip.


 

14 comments:

  1. I think you should take your "Door Butler" to work and when idiots complain, say..."Take it up with him" And hey, they should pay your "Door Butler" minimum wage for his work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that's a very good idea. Not sure the door butler will even get out the door this year.

      Delete
  2. Agreed that masks don't work! Like every virus or cold it's going to happen. Take care of yourself, don't get too rundown. It's almost over and then aren't you going to miss it (a little)..Love reading your patch stories every morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley. There's always a story with the patch!

      Delete
  3. Always someone trying to pull a scam.
    Glad you found the missing child. Always a scary thing. Know that from personal experience.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the last Five Days.

    It's about time,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS scary. Lucky we have always been able to find them.

      Delete
  4. Sore throat ? Are you drinking the Gatorade/ water cold or ice cold . Or are you drinking it ambient temperature If you’re drinking it cold/ice cold that’s probably why you have your cold ... try Aspirin AN Benadryl when you get home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aspirin and benadryl are both on my evening meal menu. LOL

      Delete
  5. What's the little dinosaur on the pumpkin? Hope your cold gets better soon and you make it through the last days. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a toy we found about five years ago. He comes out every year in the snack bar and I follow him around the patch. This year I haven't really had time.

      Delete
  6. My sister and I were talking this morning about how when the kids would go back to school we all got to be sick. (Discussing how schools back home have to keep closing for two weeks.) It never failed, they would bring all those lovely sneezing germs home. The only way a mask would have worked then and would now is if the little sneezers were wearing them. Well at least that was the word back then. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two big sneezers that I saw ... neither with a mask, but the PARENTS were wearing masks. Go figure!

      Delete
  7. Hang in there, you have just a few days left!

    ReplyDelete