Tuesday, July 4, 2017

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!!

I started celebrating early with my resident ghosty yesterday.  After packaging up some of the smoked pork, I drove over to my friends house to give them a care package at 5 am (they are always up early ... they have a grandson living with them).  They do so much around this time of year they barely have time to cook.  When I got back, I started to park my Jeep in the garage like usual.  The garage door opener refused to work.
I grabbed one from inside the house and parked the Jeep.  Fifteen minutes later I heard someone's vehicle alarm go off.  You know, the one that everyone ignores because they are always going off!!  I figured it was my neighbor.  It kept up the racket and horn honking for several minutes, so I went outside to see what was up.  WHAT???  It was coming from MY garage!!

But wait ... all the garage doors are shut.  I grabbed the keys and the door clicker again, pushing every button I could.  FINALLY it quit.  Well Happy Fourth of July ... I'm celebrating early with horn honking instead of fireworks!!  Once inside the garage, I found the back window of the Jeep open.  I never open that window.  With no idea what was going on, I closed it up and went on the hunt for door opener batteries.  I just figured it was my ghosty again.

He attacked a second time a little later ... my truck wouldn't start.  My all time favorite ride is a 2005 Silverado 3/4 ton diesel pickup.  It turns over, but won't start.  Injectors maybe?  It sounds like it's not getting fuel. The problem is I don't have time to get it towed and repaired before I hit the road again.  Didn't I just have the injectors replaced?  I'll have to look for the paperwork.

Here's Miss Jessie in her younger days.  Not really, but it does look exactly like her.  She'd like to ask that everyone just put their fireworks away.  I second that.  We spent another crazy night with her going bonkers with every bang.  She's never been this bad before.  I finally hugged her to me and put my hand over her ears.  After about 30 minutes, she relaxed and went to sleep.  Maybe one of those Thunder Shirts would be a good idea.
Before the massive smoker cleanup, I grabbed a hammer and nails for the long walk around my fence, replacing boards knocked down by my neighbor's goats.  They don't seem to care that their boards are coming loose, let along falling down.  So to be a GOOD neighbor, I was out at 6:00 am banging away.  A couple of boards needed to be replaced (glad I bought six the last time this happened) so new ones were put up with screws.  It's so weird that all the screws stay put while the nails just back themselves all the way out and onto the ground.  

Finally, cleanup time.  Here's the downside to smoking meat.  The four racks that hold the roasts seem to be an easy clean.  This bottom piece that catches all the grease is a pain in the patootie!!  It's bent in the middle, making it impossible to soak unless you fill your sink almost full.  It's a one full scrubby sponge, throw-it-in-the-trash-when-done job, not to mention washing three sheet pans along with it.  None the less, it's worth it to see the smiles on my friends faces when they get a bag full of smoked pork.
This morning, for the first time ever, I'm going to the Fourth of July Parade and festivities in this little town.  I've been promised some barbecued ribs.  They actually do have a nice fireworks display, but you have to go to the old Air Base by 7:00 (when the gates close) ... bring your own chair and ice chest, where you will be locked in until after the fireworks are over.  There is a local band and a $10 each charge ... least I think that's what it cost.  Shouldn't it be free???

I'll be here at home holding Miss Jessie while Cooper sleeps.  



4 comments:

  1. Cooking cleaning made easy
    Would a commercial cookie sheet pan fit in there, Like the ones that you use at the castle kitchen
    If so line it with tinfoil,,, no fuss no muss throw the tinfoil under the bus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A commercial pan would be too big, but I could probably line it with foil and poke holes for the grease to escape! Good idea!!

      Delete
  2. If you have a self-cleaning oven could you put those trays in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm not sure if I can do that, but it's worth a shot. This is pretty thin metal ... it might melt. But another good idea. Thank you Linda!!

      Delete