Monday, September 9, 2024

What I'm Seeing Today

 Surely, oh SURELY that was the end of the hot weather.  I mean really Mother Nature ... it's halfway through September, almost OCTOBER and it's still HOT?  Me thinks we are traveling just a little too close to the sun.  

So about those glasses ... here's my experience.  The best ophthalmologist in the country retired after providing me with perfect glasses for since I was ten years old.  It wasn't even that HE was so good, but his staff that measured and ordered the glasses were the best in all the land.  Sadly, they retired also.

After trying a couple of new providers with bad results (lenses easily scratched and broken), I got my prescription from this eye surgeon, but went to Costco.  They refused to put lenses in my perfect pair of sunglasses, only one year old.  I get it, that makes you buy theirs.  The problem was they didn't set the prescription in the glasses correctly.  I had a terrible time reading.

Then, for whatever reason, even though I keep them in cases and am very careful, they flattened out constantly.  The glassses would not keep the curve.  I kept having to go back and get them adjusted.  

Yes they were cheap, I think $250 for two pair, but they didn't even last ONE year.  Go to Mexico you say?  Yeah ... some of my friends have, and then they don't wear them because they were not the correct prescription either.  

SO ... since these guys are here for the duration (I hope anyway) and they are now selling glasses, I decided to try them out.   GOOD glasses with a GOOD prescription will last me at least three years if not more.  Trying them on?  That's always a fun experience.  I don't think I have ever had a pair that I really liked. 

After 30 minutes of trying on 20 pair, the gal finally asked someone from the back to come and help.  At last I picked one out, and talked them in to using my OLD sunglasses frame.  Of course I got the old ... they-may-not-approve-this story.  She did at least ask for a rush on the order, so hopefully in a week or so, I'll be able to see again.  How much did they set me back?  A LOT!!!  But in the end, buying a really good pair every three years is the same as buying a Costco pair EVERY year.

Back home, I set up another quilt.  The learning curve on these things is long and arduous, but I think I'm getting it.  Not sure what pattern I will use on this one, but since it's all made of scrap material, I'm going to take Dave's advice, put magnets in it after I've done the top border, and lay it over the front of the RV to keep dust and dirt off the windshield.  Dave ... you're a genius!!


I was short of batting, so I finally broke open the big box that's been sitting in the living room.  I got it on sale some time ago.  Wasn't I surprised to find this!!  This alone would make me buy from this company again.  By the way, it pays to shop.  This company sells the same product on Amazon, but it's cheaper if you buy it from them directly ... and no shipping!


In desperation of something to do inside where it was cool, since we got up to 103 yesterday, I started hand sewing the binding on the epic quilt.  It's a King size, so I imagine I'll be doing this for at least a week, if not more.


Finally, when it cooled off a tad, the cow and calf found a place by the front door.  It really needs to be up higher, so I'll either have to put some extensions on it, or find a nice pot to put it in.


At the end of the day, you would have found me outside looking up.  Though you really can't see the stars, they are up there.  I've never really shot star trails before, so I went online to get some tips.  Absolutely NONE of those tips worked, so it's going to be trial and error.  

Then to my horror, I discovered that this computer is so far out in the future, that even the current subscription Adobe Photoshop program DOES NOT WORK THE SAME!!  OMG ... and to make it worse, it refuses to save photoshop images into a format that will go in blogger.  

Big sigh .... I'm sure there's a work around, but my brain is getting fried trying to figure out all this stuff.  New technology can be a BIG FAT PAIN!!!!  I may just be too old for this!!!





12 comments:

  1. I agree getting new glasses is a royal pain!
    It cooled here a bit.
    Happy Monday!
    I do remember the Ivesters!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glasses ... when they work, they are great. When not, they are a pain! LOL

      Delete
  2. I finally found a frame that works for me! I now have four of them so I just keep getting new lenses put in, two pair at a time. But my glasses place no longer has qualified employees so I'll be looking for a new place next time I need new lenses. Ugh!
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was trying to do, but now they refuse to use the old frames. I'm sure it's just a sales tactic.

      Delete
  3. At least you got the glasses in the end, just took time and patience

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want to know about photographing the nighttime sky read a blog " Flying the Koop". I bet he would even answer our questions. Vern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Vern .... those pictures!! I'm adding him to my reading list. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Glad I was able to offer a good solution to your problem...I'll bet those magnets will allow you to hang it up on your covered storage when you have the van out on the road... I have worn glasses since 2nd grade...maybe 3rd grade. I NEVER look forward to buying another pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first thought ... hanging it on the frame, but I would have to attach a wire of some kine. It's 12 foot wide!!

      Delete
  6. Hi Nancy-
    Just for curiosities sake, look online at EyeBuyDirect and Zenni.
    Great glasses, easy to order, at wonderful prices. I have several pair.

    Glasses are way overpriced at Sam's, Costco and other brick & mortar places.
    I get my prescription at Sam's Club and have found them to be very thorough and professional people.

    Best Regards,
    -Chicago Robert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Ed suggested the same ... there has to be a better and less expensive way. But if you buy them online, who adjusts them to fit?

      Delete