Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Variety Is The Spice Of Life

That's an old saying my Grandfather had on the ranch.  I'm not sure if he was talking about food, women or just life, but I've had lots of variety in the last couple days.  Waking up to this beautiful sunrise in the morning seems to make it all better.
I spent some time watching videos on Dutch Oven cooking and seasoning since my second 10" pot arrived in the mail.  Unfortunately the new stuff is terribly rough inside, instead of smooth like a pot should be.  After watching Kent Rollins instructions, I took a grinder to the first one and smoothed it out a little, then seasoned it in the oven twice.  

Since I was on a roll, I pulled out that old frying pan covered in rust and gave it a few minutes under the grinder.  I'm impressed!  It worked perfectly, so I rubbed it up with olive oil and baked it too.  Another round on both and we'll see how non-stick they are.  I think a big slab of bacon should help.  Today I'll grind up the second one and season it a couple of times.  Now I just need to find someone who doesn't mind eating experimental dutch oven cooking!

It was the Night of the Peasants at the Magic Kingdom of Bingo.  Honestly, you never know what's going to happen.  It's a roll of the dice.

I rolled in about 3:30 along with the three other gals who cashier (we trade off between counting the packets and cashiering).  Once everything was set up, I backed off and watched the melee.  These people are so serious, you don't DARE sit in their lucky spot ... it will be a throw down for sure!!

We sell things called pull tabs on the floor.  For $1 each, you buy the card and pull off the tab.  You can either win money ($10 and under) or you can get numbers that are playable in a later Bingo Game, or you can get nothing.  I grabbed an apron and went to work!!

BLAZING BALLS ... get your Blazing Balls here!!!  They went like hotcakes!!  This is FUN!!  We opened another box.  They LIKE those new boxes, because I sold out that one in a matter of minutes.  Next box please.  In between I sold something called Marilees and Honey Potz.  Don't ask me what they are because I have not a clue!!

The amazing thing is how many I sold ... eleven boxes!!!  ELEVEN!!  Mostly at $30 a pop, which is why the boxes didn't last long.  Pots for those games ranged from $250 to $500.  I probably sold over $3,000 worth of games in two hours.  It's CRAZY!!  It's gambling!!

One thing I learned about selling on the floor, you get to go home early.  That was a good thing, because I had one of their notorious hot dogs, covered in chili that took third place over the weekend at a Jamboree in Los Banos.  That was Saturday.  It's Tuesday.  My stomach doesn't like those yummy hot dogs at all, and once that chili hit bottom, I was a cooked goose.  Of course that cupcake with enough frosting to choke a horse didn't do me any good either.  I rolled myself out to the truck and made it home in time to chew up four Tums!  The calcium is good for you!!

Unfortunately the Giants lost after leading almost the entire game.  We're out of the running, which isn't a bad thing.  Now I don't have to plan my day around the game times.

My Contractor is bringing his glass guy this morning to see what he thinks about the broken panes.  The first estimate came in at $1696.  That's to replace ALL of the glass in the dormer, even the one that isn't broken, because I'm sure it will be in no time, and I don't want to go through this again.

If I'm lucky, my Contractor will have a price about the same, including replacement of the framing.  I'll let you know.  If you hear me screaming, you'll know it wasn't good!!






4 comments:

  1. Well if you really want some excitement in your life you could always run up to the Pacific Northwest this weekend and watch the storm come in
    There looking at 15 to 20 foot surf
    Ya Bingo stampers are funny lot never mind the fact that they play watch the antics and superstitious leading up to before the game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big storms everywhere!!! No, I think I'll just stay right here in Boredville!!

      Delete
  2. Seasoning your Dutch oven how many times did you set the smoke alarm off
    My mother used to have all cast-iron cookware it's a wonder the House didn't till to one side
    and I got the wrath of God one time for trying to wash her best one
    Her philosophy scrape it wipe it leave it-you ain't died yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe it? Not once did the alarm go off. You only heat them up to 225 and use very little oil. Your mother was right ... scrape and wipe down with a tad of oil. Surprise!! We all survived!!

      Delete