Saturday, October 8, 2016

Cock A Doodle Doo!!!

Apparently no one had chicken and dumplings in my neighborhood while I was gone, because the rooster still crows every morning around 5:30.  I tried to be as still as a mouse and go back to sleep.  It lasted until 6:00.  That's an amazing thing in Cooper World .. sleeping in!!  Well not really sleeping, but at least I didn't get UP until 6:00.

There was one last beautiful sunset in Long Beach before I hit the road.  I tried to make notes so I would remember which set of pictures it was.  I took so many, you may have seen these!!  The late hour made for really long shadows on the beach.  That's MY shadow reaching from the water's edge back towards the beach.
Storms dumped large quantities of sand near the water, leaving little lakes all along the beach area.  That made for beautiful pictures, but some trips and falls when kite flyers crashed into them.  Take your eyes away from the kite to see where you are going, and BAM ... it hits the ground, so we never look down!!
This was a particularly magnificent sunset.  It looked like there were TWO suns in the sky.
Sadly, all good things must come to an end, including my time in Oregon.  No worries however, I'll be back!!
There were also some goodies from the Astoria Market you didn't get to see.  Mostly because I forgot I had them until searching for recipe ingredients in the rig yesterday.  This is beautiful homemade pasta that cooks in four minutes.  It's a good thing they told me that or with my cooking skills, it would have been mush instead.
I didn't find this one in the rig ... in fact, it didn't last five seconds, but it's a GREAT invention for your grandkids.  This is a peanut butter cookie, smeared with peanut butter, then covered in chocolate.  It's FABULOUS!!!!!  Your kiddies will love you!!
Lastly, one of the things that really helped me unload the rig is this handmade basket of elephant grass.  Pretty tough stuff!!  The cool thing is that it folds up.  I've never purchased one because where do you store it?  You can actually fold it flat.  If it doesn't keep it's shape when you open it up, just dunk it in water, reshape and let dry.  Pretty cool ... and it can hold a HUGE amount of market items.  Trust me on that one!!  Cooper of course dropped his ball in it immediately.
Something I've wanted to get back to since being home is dutch oven camp cooking.  I know this may not work out so well for someone with mediocre skills and no knowledge whatsoever of charcoal.  I'm hoping pieces of my memory will return with information from watching my dad cook in them every year we went camping.  

I've joined an on-line group for assistance and have four cookbooks at my disposal.  This should be an interesting endeavor!!  Don't worry, I'll make sure I keep a fire extinguisher close at hand!!







No comments:

Post a Comment