Thursday, June 29, 2023

What A Trip!!!!

Wow ... sometimes driving over the exact same roads over and over again can be SO exciting!!  I finally got packed up and headed out about 11:00.  Naturally I packed all the food for the kids and practically nothing for me.  My plan was to hit up Panda Express, but I ran out of time.  We were OFF with Jonathan seat belted in the back seat and Cooper chained to the headrest.  Safety first!

Here we are on a nice slant going through the big town of Madera.  I'm about 30 miles in and just getting used to the buck and roll of California underpasses.  It's like riding a bronc with nothing to hold on to! 


We made it through Fresno, just in time to get stuck in the same traffic jam that was in this exact same place last January.  I just cruised along, determined not to be in a hurry.  I didn't want to stress out my white steed.


Even MORE excitement ... how can you stand it!!  I know what you're thinking ... you're going to hook up and head right for Highway 99 in California!!  This is Kingsburg on a pretty uneven keel.  I was trying hard not to disturb my map program on my phone, while taking pictures one handed.  Worthy of a photography award, yes??


Wouldn't you know, par for California, they closed all the rest areas along this long stretch of highway.  The stop Cooper usually gets didn't happen, nor did Jonathan get a break.  Last time I looked at him he was laying flat out in his food dish.  

This is wonderful downtown (not quite) Pixley.  At least farming is still in existence here.  It's grain harvesting time and they are working like crazy.


Finally ... beautiful downtown Bakersfield, smelling of roses and honeysuckle.  I lie.  Even though not many of those oil rigs are still drilling, this town smells of oil and fertilizer.  You can tell it's also discing time since the air is full of sand that makes it a little tough to breath.  You can see it in this picture on the left.  Those are not clouds.


In no time (thank goodness) we were at Orange Grove RV park in 92 degree sunshine.  I'm sure Cooper would love to go out, but the pavement and dirt is too hot for his feeties and I'm too tired to carry him.  Okay, I did carry him over to the shade trees for a quick walk.  

We will be off again early this morning for warmer pastures.  I know you would give just about anything to be here, but I'll enjoy it all for you!!





11 comments:

  1. No thanks, you can have all that fun to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drive safe Nancy!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Frances ... I'm a very defensive driver.

      Delete
  3. Keep up that positive attitude! We all believe every word!! Stay safe. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't that just hit you in the gut when you expect to use a rest area just to find that it is closed...and when you look over at the closed rest area it is a fairly 'new' rest area (under 10 years old) in perfect shape. Very hard on the old bladder, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we were in Bakersfield last August the air was so dirty! Breathe...relax....take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to enjoy Bakersfield, but it sure has changed over the years. :( Amazing how many rest areas are closed in CA!

    ReplyDelete