Friday, June 30, 2023

Skills ... I've Got Skills!

 Boy howdy am I ever going to impress you with my photographic skills today!!!  Here I am parked at Orange Grove.  The very close trains stop by at 3:30 am and blow their horns to say hello.  Might as well get up.  After a short semi cool walk, I threw everyone in the truck and we were on the road by six.


I guess this was Tehachapi?  Really, I've no clue.  Lucky for me it was cool enough that the truck didn't overheat.  I even high-fived my truck when we got to the top of the hill without a check engine light!!!


Part of my picture problem is using my phone.  It used to provide decent photos, but it's so old, nothing really works well any more.  I did have fun chasing this train across the desert.  He was going about 65 mph and gaining on me quite a bit.  By the time we got to Boron, he slowed down and I WON!!!!  Yay!!


You know how it is when you're driving through the hot desert with not a single thing to capture your attention but the new-er truck drivers who never turn their turn signals off.  It does keep me awake though ... those flashing red lights.

At last ... Barstow.  This is my favorite easy-to-get-to diesel station.  I always send out good vibes for an empty RV lane, and I was not disappointed.


Probably my best picture.  It takes skill to capture a picture perfectly centered.  I filled up before I left home at $4.69 a gallon.  I said a bad word when I spotted the diesel sign across the street that said $6.09.  It was a nice surprise to see this at Flying J!!


Off we go again, practicing camera holding all along the way.  I've no idea why I took this picture or where it is.  In spite of all the steep hills getting to Needles (I doubt I will go this way again) my silver steed cruised along.  Sometimes it shifts down when I don't want it to, pegging the RPMs, which brings on a frenzy of do I speed up or slow down to make it stop.


I had a little trouble in Needles at the turnoff because my WAZE map program locked up my entire phone.  Nothing would work and it refused to tell me which way to turn.  In desperation I had to pull over and reset everything.  There was a short circuitous route involved, but I was finally on the right road.

In no time ... here's the Colorado River.  I pulled over here to get that big truck off my butt.  I swear he was kissing it all the way down the hill.


I thought I might capture the river with my camera skills, but alas ... no water in the picture.  


From there it was a short trip to Quartzsite where they were waiting for me with a nice large pull through space ... 50 amp.  I immediately turned on both air conditioners for the kids, but left them in the truck until the house cooled down a bit.  It was 102 when I pulled in at 1:00.  Inside it was 89, and after three hours it finally cooled down to 81.  That was as good as it got.

I unhooked this time ... the better to get dinner at Carls Junior and fuel on the way back.  Fuel took up all my time.  I don't know what's wrong with Arco's pumps, but it took 20 minutes to get 20 gallons.  

This morning I get the lovely job of dumping tanks before I take off in the cool 77 degree weather.  It's so refreshing!!  Next stop .... Tucson.




12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you will be home soon. Praying for you to continue to have safe travels.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost there Frances!! Thank you for the prayers. I can always use them.

      Delete
  2. So far so good. Except for those diesel prices. We are $3.69 here in South Dakota.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spotted one station at $3.99 ... lowest I saw.

      Delete
  3. That drive between Needles and Barstow is a yawner for sure, and normally there are a few CHP cars looking for speed demons. Glad there have been no more check engine lights! Hitting 104 today (hit 100 yesterday for the first 100+ day since we arrived) and tomorrow it will be 108!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catching up. Now, those big dozers you showed are real easy on the operator, not like the older stuff you likely operated, like me. You had to be tough to operate a dozer in the old days, now any whimp can do it and they stay real clean too.
    Oh, and who's that young lady in the selfie? :O)
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those old dozers were pretty tough on the body, I have to admit. No enclosed cabs, no heat and no air. The later ones for the rice? MUCH nicer to operate.

      Delete
  5. I always boondocked on BLM land when it Quartzsite but I didn't have animals to consider. And I was never there at this time of year. I did buy an annual pass, though, so I could stop and dump even if I was not staying overnight. I have family in Phoenix so I miss seeing them now that I am not traveling.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time other than summer, I would do the same Linda. But yikes ... these temperatures are brutal!!

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear you are making your way with no issues with the truck. If the rpms come up when going up hill, don't speed up, maintain speed or better yet slow down until you crest the hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaahhhh thank you Bill!! I will definitely do that from now on. RPM's weren't red lining, but oh the noise!!

      Delete