Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Air ... I Need AIR

Other than for breathing, air comes in quite handy.  I knew I needed to check all my tires.  I was pretty surprised to find my truck didn't even need a top off before heading to the repair shop.

As you know, mechanics don't like anyone "suggesting" what might be wrong.  Try as I might with every breath of air I had, I didn't get anywhere except please put in a Delco air filter.  My truck needs air as much as I do.  

We'll check it out they said ... just because that's what the code says, doesn't mean that's what is wrong.  Big sigh ... what could I say?  I'm a girl.  So I saved my air and left my truck.


Back home, trying to forget my morning encounter, I sucked up more air and went to work baking biscuits for Jonathan.  He's become as picky as Cooper when it comes to his food.


Not that I'm blowing hot air about my gardening skills, BUT .....


My plants and flowers are blooming!!  Sort of anyway.  I love this grass, which was supposed to be a mini Lily of the Nile.  Surprise ... the grass thing is growing right out of the middle of the lily.  There was nothing planted here ... I just set that pot in the ground and voila ... it's a Two-Fer!!


While I waited, I checked the truck air bags and the RV tires.  Everything is A-ok.  One more trip around the yard and I found these BIG Lilies of the Nile which have another name, but it escapes me, as it does every time I look at it.  But LOOK ... FLOWERS!


Finally I got the call.  I sat on my wallet, to no avail.  They actually agreed with me after several testing sessions ... it was the mass air sensor.  That should be a cheap fix ... or NOT.  YIKES!!  It's going to be a big $1,000 bill to get her up and running.  I'm guessing that includes all the diagnostic work they did.  As for the Turbocharger code, it needs something that requires gaskets that are not readily available.  That's another Alexander Hamilton, but won't happen until I get back in a couple of months.

I guess I can't complain too much.  My wonderful white steed has never had to have any major work done to it other than new tires.  It's got 130,000 miles on it and is 18 years old.  Not bad I guess.  It should be done this afternoon.

If at all possible, I'll be leaving tomorrow morning.  The temperatures are going up exponentially and I'd like to get through Quartzsite before you can cook an egg on the sidewalk.  It should take the usual three days, since I'm a wimp and hate driving for very long in a day.

AND ... guess what?    IT'S BINGO TIME!!



18 comments:

  1. Safe Travels on the road with your crew Nancy !
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy your truck has done well to run 130,000 miles with no issues other than tires.
    Praying for you to have a safe trip.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prices for car parts have gone up just as much as everything else we found out. You can do without many things but having no airconditioning in the truck at this time would be unthinkable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's running a little hot in Arizona, but not too bad yet.

      Delete
  4. Well, I guess it could have been worse, but $1,000 does have some sting to it. Hopefully that will be the end of it and it will got for another 130,000.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got my fingers crossed Jim. It's been a GREAT truck.

      Delete
  5. Wish we were still in Arizona and could have seen you on your way through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too .. I miss you both!! Hope all is going well!

      Delete
  6. $1,000??? Maybe they gave you the gold plated air sensor! This sensor is/should be located between the air filter and the engine's intake manifold in an easily accessed area, two or three screws to take out and put in. I HATE shops that take advantage of people....grrrrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave
      just by the sound of her typing we knew this wasn’t going to go good. Let’s diagnose why… did we go to a mom and pop or a chain garage. ? She didn’t tell us?. OK with the cost of the Computer diagnostic prior to work. lack of written estimate.. after Run like hell

      Delete
    2. It's okay Dave .. I new up front what it would be. They did lots of diagnostic work figuring it out, and they fixed more than just the sensor.

      Delete
  7. It seems like nothing is a cheap fix anymore. Safe travels...hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially not here when they have to pay the guy that takes you home $17 an hour. It's ridiculous!!

      Delete
  8. That’s taking it in the shorts Computer diagnostic average $125 Usually they give you a discount if they repair it. Obviously you didn’t get it. MAP Sensor $25 One bolt one plug x reattach ShopRate about $125. sticky note to self…. have your mechanic Neighbor in Arizona Diagnose the turbo, get a cost upfront…. seeing how you lost your shorts in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was more to the fix than that. I didn't get taken as you say ... and this actually is a trust worthy local shop run by two guys who I've dealt with before.

      Delete
  9. Exactly right. I can deal with a little heat if I have to way another day or two.

    ReplyDelete