Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Reading The Codes

 I creaked and crackled as I walked across the bedroom floor this morning, followed by two big yawns and six sneezes.  Even though I tried to rest up, things had to be done.  Just for kicks, I got online to a Western Wear site and found this too cute outfit!!  It's perfect cowgirl wear, right?  I don't know who came up with this, but they need to go back to fashion school.  Maybe Daisy Mae could wear it.

I did take note that even though I scrolled through website after website, there are no clothes for us crazy old ladies.  If you're 17-25, you've got it made.  For the rest of us, we are completely out of luck.  Now I know where all those sweatpants come from that I see at Bingo.  There just isn't anything else to BUY!!


On with our day.  This pretty much sums it up.  I don't know how long this stuff takes to heal up, but Cooper's mouth is still pretty sore, though he's eating well.  He's scratching at it now and again, which is good and bad.  It must be healing up (you can't see because he won't open his mouth), but scratching may do some damage.  Gosh ... I really don't want another trip to the vet.


When I sew, he sits quietly on the floor next to me, so that's what we did.  Although still not completely sewn together, it's getting there.  It will have to go in a box for now, since my time is getting short and there's packing to be done.


Here's my latest GUY purchase.  It's a BlueDriver code reader for my truck.  The check engine light has been giving me fits when towing.  It's scary to have it come on when you're towing a big rig uphill in the middle of the desert.  

You download the app to your phone, start the truck up and plug this in.  The thing reads the codes and gives you not only the problem, but it tells you what people have done to fix the problem.  No kidding ... this is a pretty cool piece of technology.  It will even tell you if you will pass the smog test.  It checks everything!!


One thing I also learned is when the check engine light is yellow ... it's not the end of the world.  If it's RED, you better pull over.  Who knew?

Here's what I got yesterday on the first code.  It's a common problem apparently and can be fixed for anywhere from $100 to $300 by replacing the mass air flow sensor, whatever that is.  Gosh ... now I feel like I need to go to mechanics school!!


This one .... this one is a little more heart racing.  Replacing the turbocharger will run a whopping $3-4,000.  OUCH!!  

So here's my big question.  Do any of you guys out there have any experience with this?  Is it a big thing? Am I going to get stuck on the side of the road?  Is my engine going to blow up???  This inquiring mind needs to know if I'm going to make it to Tucson next week.  Oh ... and the code only seems to happen when towing uphill.  Maybe I need to go slower??????


It was fun playing with it yesterday, but now I have just enough information to be even MORE scared!!  I don't have time to get anything fixed or checked since I have to be in Tucson by July 4.  The quilting store is coming to pick up my quilting machine for maintenance and repair, an appointment I've waited 3 months for.  

More weird weather here.  Although it's usually consistently in the 100's this time of year, we are hanging in the 70's and 80's.  Weird.  With a very nice sunset to boot.


I'm sure you all know what day of the week it is.  It's BINGO time yet again!!  Gosh the days are FLYING by!!




13 comments:

  1. Yikes those engine lights are scary!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy it is common for the sensor to fail on Duramax Diesels to fail.
    Normally a you lose power with a turbo failure in addition to the light coming on.
    My husband is very familiar with these.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I need to replace the sensor? So far no loss of power, just the engine light.

      Delete
  3. Ive had similar codes with my 08 Duramax. Finally, a sharp GM technician theorized that my NAPA 9184 air filter was fitting too loosely, letting air in around the edges, tricking the sensors! Put a new AC Delco air filter in - problems and codes - gone. Drove 6 weeks no issues. Put napa filter back in - codes before even getting out of town. It was a cheap fix, but it took a year of low power warnings. Napa is investigating for warranty issues. Have a tech check your air filter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivan ... you are awesome!!! I'll have that checked out today!!

      Delete
  4. The Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor is a $200 fix (less if you dare do it yourself). Found this tid-bit: If the MAF is faulty, the engine computer may be unsure how to properly control the turbo- this is more applicable in a variable vane turbo than a wastegate, but can still apply. The issue may be cured with a new sensor, but if run that way for a long time, possible vane fouling can occur. I would change the MAF and look into the Air Filter too, and see if that clears it all up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the guys at Bingo last night mentioned the wastegate. That's next on my list. Thanks Dave.

      Delete
  5. For your watching pleasure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aIw6XjzCUw

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buying that machine is probably like searching for a cure on Google. It just scares the s**t out of us. Too many scenarios to worry about!
    Hopefully Cooper will soon feel normal again. Glad he is eating though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it just reads the check engine light codes. It's more scary to have the light come on and not know why!!! LOL

      Delete
  7. I can't help you with anything but did enjoy reading the responses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's good is that the guy at Elks that also has a diesel came up with the same answers ... except the air filter. That's an interesting one I'm going to check out.

      Delete
  8. The biggest problem here is FINDING a mom and pop repair place. The last one just closed ... but someone mentioned a place last night that I'm going to check out today. Yup I'm hoping it's just the sensor.

    ReplyDelete