Saturday, June 10, 2023

Nurse Nancy

 Well that didn't go as well as expected at all.  Here we are tearing up the rugs looking for his ball that he covered UP with the rug.  It's so fun to see him so happy and making a big mess of the entire living room.  

Soon after, I dropped him off at the Vet's office with great trepidation.  I know, that's silly ... but I have been a big animal person and had dogs all my life.  I absolutely can't stand it when they don't feel good.


I tried hard to keep myself occupied, but it didn't work so well.  After three hours of just sitting on the couch becoming a big fat potato, I decided I better gear up for Cooper's sore mouth from the teeth cleaning.  

And then I got the call.  The ER Nurse, which happens to be a guy named Daniel, called to say he was shocked that Cooper still had all his teeth at 13 years old.  BUT ... and it's the BUT that gets you ... he has to have 6 or 7 front teeth removed, top and bottom front.  They are all loose and one is infected.  What can you say but OKAY!

At this point the $1200 estimate has me in shock, but I would pay just about anything to have my little guy feeling good and not in pain.  

I got out the instant pot to cook some chicken, which I absolutely cooked until it was disintegrating in my hand.  Soft food only they said!!


That brought about a mad dash to the Pet store to find some more soft food he would eat.  Finally at noon, they called to say he was out of surgery and doing just fine.  YAY ... be still my frantic heart.  Sadly I had to wait another 4 hours before I could see him again.

I was completely crushed when I picked him up and he looked like this, poor baby.  The bad news was in the end, when they took out one tooth, turns out it was holding up the next.  Big sigh.  He lost 13 of his 42.  Weirdly, the final bill came to $700.  I think they do that on purpose so you are happy when you leave.

Nurse Nancy took over instantly ... my heart was crushed probably more than when my husband ran off with his girlfriend.  


Thankfully he slept quite a bit.  I knew I had pills to get down his throat and wasn't sure how that was going to happen, but some scrambled eggs did the trick.  We snuggled on the couch the entire night.  

Nurse Nancy thinks this will be the worst day, then he should perk up a bit.  He did spend ten minutes walking around the house looking (and smelling) for his ball.  Yeah that broke my heart once again.  No toys will be mauled for at least ten days.  


Oh wait ... I did do one thing.  I bought another container of Zero Cool Whip and found some lemon curd at the store when I went looking for soft doggie food.  This creation was the suggestion of Payson48 and is my new FAVORITE.  Maybe you would be so kind as to tell me your first name so I can thank you appropriately!!

Woohoo!!  What could be easier!  Although I could not find the large container of cool whip, it didn't matter because I LOVE the tart taste of lemon curd.  I skipped the graham cracker crust this time, mostly because I forgot to buy one ... I just plopped it into little dessert cups.  Oh yeah ... this is a keeper!!  Silky smooth and lemony!!


Since Nurse Nancy is going to be busy all day with her number one patient, I'll relay the latest California news tomorrow.  It's just another reason to think about leaving the state.

I'll be on the couch with my patient .......


16 comments:

  1. Oh Nancy that poor little fella! So glad he has you for a nurse.
    Won't be long and he will be running around like normal.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning! So glad you like the lemon curd flavor! Any pie filling that doesn't need cooking will work into the cool whip! Choc. pudding didn't work - I tried that. Too runny.
    My name is Ginny and I live in Scottsdale. Was looking for your email so didn't have to take up your comment section with all this......oh well!
    Glad that Cooper "pulled" through and the teeth left are in good condition! He'll be good as new in a short time!
    Glad you survived the day also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to meet you Ginny!! I can't thank you enough for that recipe ... so easy and delicious!!! It's going to be my go-to from now on!!

      Delete
  3. Glad your buddy will be back to his norm soon. Now if the nurse can pull through, all will be fine.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Indy was spayed she looked just like Cooper when we got her back...makes you feel so very sad. Glad it all went well, good luck keeping that ball away from him for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those faces ... they make me so sad. Yeah, that's a problem that ball.

      Delete
  5. Oh golly, I’m just like you about caring, maybe
    overboard for our animals....even the horses.
    You either have that ‘gene’ or you don’t. Ha
    Happy it’s behind you both.
    The lemon curd, Cool Whip sounds yummy!
    Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we just have soft hearts. If you like lemons, you'll love that dessert!

      Delete
  6. Glad that you have your sweet best friend home again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Loree ... only gone 8 hours and I was missing him a bunch.

      Delete
  7. Poor Coop! Good thing he has you to attend to him for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A sad, hurting little pooch (or big pooch) breaks my heart too. I think Nurse Nancy needs all the lemon curd/cool whip she can get! Cooper will improve each day but he'll sure miss the b-a-l-l. ♥
    I'll go back to Payson48's comment to get that recipe! I made homemade lemon curd and didn't know what to do with it all. Ended up adding stewed rhubarb, yogourt and bananda and it was pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super simple that recipe. I used only the small tub of cool whip ... probably should have used two of the zero sugar ones ... because it's pretty tart ... but I love it.

      Delete