Friday, June 2, 2023

To Go Or Not To Go

 To go or not to go.  That is the question of the day here in sunny 89 degree California.  Here we are on the couch where we have spent the last ten days trying to keep Mr. Cooper from chewing his leg off.  It appears all this started from a cyst he had on his hip that turned into a hot spot.  Kinda sorta anyway, because the Vet doesn't really know.  Cooper is so skin sensitive that it's causing him great agony.

Though he is much better having taken him off the meds, he is still experiencing a lot of itching.


And so .... since I caused such a stink to GET this appointment for a recheck, I decided we needed to go.  I told the Vet my theory and she obviously did not agree.  Though I might have wandered into argument territory with gusto on any other subject, I was not the professional.  However, the professional didn't have any answers at all.  Nothing ... nada ... zip!

They are calling it a hotspot, which she irritated quite nicely by scratching at it .... an infection from an open wound (the cyst).  I told her about the cream reaction and resulting swelling.  I was pretty much in shock when she told me that was NOT the cream she prescribed.  WHAT??  Apparently they gave me a cream for burns.  By then I was beside myself ... once again!!  I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  

I'll call back and make an appointment with my favorite "experienced" Doc who has been out of town.  In the meantime, Cooper is better, but still very itchy.  Big sigh!!


That brought up the next To Go or NOT To Go.  There was a big meeting at the Elks Lodge that I was pretty much expected to attend.  Okay ... I'll go, but late so I miss the dinner and all the hoopla because of a visiting dignitary.   

I'm just not the social butterfly that seems to be required for this position, nor do I blend in well.  I'm a Levis gal, and the required uniform of grey pants, blue jacket, white blouse and required SCARF, are just not comfortable.  

Like many organizations, there are groups that hang out together that I have absolutely nothing in common with.  It's hard to start up a conversation.  Due to past experiences, meaning I rarely have a drink, it's also hard for me to deal with copious amounts of alcohol that seems to flow like Niagara Falls.  

Add to that the pomp and circumstance that is required twice a month and I'm beginning to think the Bingo crowd is much more up my alley!!  They don't put on airs and they will all talk to you.  Obviously I'm a peasant!!

Today I have the dubious task of backing up my computer.  That's a balancing trick because finding a hard drive that will back up an out of date computer isn't that easy to acquire.  I have two already, but they don't like each other any more (maybe it's too much pomp and circumstance) and they refuse to mingle.  Sound familiar???

I have my work cut out for me today!!!

By the way ..... its JUNE.  Where did the time go?  In a few short weeks, I'll be back on the road to Arizona!





10 comments:

  1. Sounds like the Vet thinks her opinion is the only one.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just think she was stumped. She really didn't have any idea what to do.

      Delete
  2. You know Nancy, bleached blue jeans can almost pass for "Grey". lol

    Your vet experience reminds me of when we first came to Sandy and Arny's house. After 4 weeks we went up to see Yosemite, then back. Bubba was SO HAPPY to be back he ran and tore his ACL. First Vet said it would probably heal, BUT, being in a 'practice' he HAD to have us consult with the Vet who was a surgeon. Of course he felt Bubba needed surgery at the tune of $4,500, and YES, because he has seizures, the surgery could be dangerous for him. I asked him about the ramifications of not having surgery, and he said, "Bubba will get arthritis, and it will be a very difficult life at that point." I said, "So, if he has surgery YOU will guarantee that Bubba will not get arthritis?" "NO, I can not do that!" Marcia asked, "How much to put him down?" (she was not going to do it, just a shock statement). The surgeon walks out saying we are just unreasonable dog owners. The first Vet comes walking in with a big smile on his face. Bubba never had the surgery, never suffered with arthritis. Lived to be 16 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just never know who has the knowledge your critter needs.

      Delete
  3. You mention backing up your computer. I use Western Digital Passport external hard drive to back up my computer via a USB interface. They are relatively inexpensive and come in many capacities up to 2, 4 or so terra bites. And are available in all USB generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha ... I should have mentioned that sooner. I have Lacies ... they run about $99, so not too terrible ... and they are portable. I'll check out yours though ... I just might switch over.

      Delete
  4. What a great vet!! Sarcasm at its finest. Poor Coop.💕🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised she had no idea what to do, but then she is rather young, so there's that.

      Delete
  5. I'm a peasant for sure. And glad you survived all, mostly the vet visit. And Cooper still survives. Bless his heart. Well, yours too.
    Like anonymous, I have a little doodad that plugs in and backs up my computer continuously, easy enough to install myself and cheap. I think mine might be a passport too. Not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look those up Judith. They are definitely a necessity.

      Delete