Saturday, April 27, 2019

What's That Smell???

It's probably green stuff ... moola ... the cash that keeps running out of my pockets like water.  Those that think their fuel prices are high should take a look at this.  The diesel I got about three weeks ago was $2.99 a gallon.  This is what California does to our fuel and it's not even summer yet.  They have added even MORE taxes, this time to pay for roads they say, but the truth is it's going in to their High Speed Rail Slush Fund.

Just imagine ... you will now be able to take a high speed train from Merced to Bakersfield, all of 163 miles, because as you know, EVERYONE wants to travel to Merced or Bakersfield.  I took only 12 gallons, even though my truck holds 50.  Luckily the motorhome already has a full tank.
My friend Cyndae and I talked for hours about houses, rentals, plumbing and taxes before heading off to bed.  The conversation continued in the morning.  She will soon be moving into a larger place with her daughter and grandchildren.  I mentioned I was trying to make the same decision.  Her solution was simple, but wait ..... what's that smell?

I had put some rice on the stove to cook for Cooper, thinking I would easily hear it as boiling water hit the very hot stovetop.  Somehow that didn't happen.  I do have a nose good enough to smell burning things, mostly because I'm so used to burning things.  The rice did not survive.
How about I nuke the rice.  I've never tried that before, but at least when the bell dings, it will not keep cooking.  Now what's THAT smell??  That would be rice and boiling water going all over the bottom of the microwave.  

Good grief .... what a mess THAT turned out to be, but at least the rice was not burned and will finally make it's way into Cooper's dinner dish.
In the meantime, Cyndae's advice was to start purging.  Make a big spot in the garage where you can start stacking stuff for a yard sale.  Every time you find something, take it to the garage.  Even if it takes you a year, at least you are working towards your goal.  GREAT idea!!  Not only that, but she's coming back for a visit on Memorial Day ... the perfect weekend for a yard sale!!  At least I'm on a roll with something!
With the weather heating up, I didn't stay in the garage very long.  Instead I gave Mr. Cooper a haircut.  At least there was no heat involved and he turned out just right instead of overdone or burned. 
Early this morning I'm off to cooking school, not that it seems to be helping me much!!  Last night I went to a charity dinner/auction for the Boys and Girls Club.  They didn't burn ANYTHING related to dinner and I didn't burn through any of that green stuff!!  Yahoo!!  But that's for tomorrow's story.




13 comments:

  1. Lol you sure have a knack for burning stuff, at least you can smell it. Purging is a good things and i find yard sales lotsa fun. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a big yard sale. COME ON DOWN!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Hmm not till the fall sorry, nothing we need we have a full house now.

      Delete
  2. When I first saw your title I thought of Manteca when I was much (much) younger...they had a very large Livestock (Cattle) Market there, and I KNOW you KNOW what the smell of a thousand head of Cattle smells like...it TOO smells like MONEY (but in a totally different way).

    As for rice...bake in oven, 325-350 degrees. 1 cup rice,
    2 1/4 cups hot tap water, 1/3 stick very softened butter. Pre-heat overn, oil up a 9 by 11 glass dish, add ingredients, cover with foil, bake 25-35 minutes. DON'T open oven or take off foil for at least 25 minutes (SET YOU BUZZER!), then check it and decide if it needs more time...all depends on type of rice you use. Once done, put in Fridge for a couple of hours. Once cool, make up some baggies of rice, roll them as you would if it was 'weed' (I KNOW you never did, but you saw that on TV shows/movies) and place in Freezer except for your working bag. Figure 4-6 oz of cooked rice per baggie. "IF" Cooper need to have warm or hot rice, just zap in the micro for 10-20 seconds. Yes, this is a old restaurant trick...makes perfect rice every time...we used 1/2 white rice and 1/2 Uncle Ben's Wild Rice, added some chicken base, made PERFECT rice every time. You don't know how many times I got the question, "How do you make your rice so perfect every time?" Just could not tell them the secret, figured they would not come back because it is so simple. ps: There is a DOCTOR in my family now! Hope to blog it out later today or tomorrow.....my son the Chiropractor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to laugh, but I do somehow like the smell of cattle. Because I was raised with it I suppose.

      Congratulations to the DOCTOR!!! How exciting ... I love it!

      I'm copying down your rice recipe. It sounds absolutely perfect for my puppies!!!! I'll figure out the rolling part .. lol

      Delete
  3. My goodness, I know you don't try to be funny but I get a kick out of your cooking experiences. Probably because I've made my own 'woopsies', often. Dave has your answer for Cooper's rice but you can't eat it, it is white carbs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Patsy ... I'm giving up the carbs, but for Cooper, that should work just fine.
      If I don't laugh at my cooking, I'll cry! lol

      Delete
  4. What Patsy said...lol
    I do not eat rice anymore but I am copying that recipe for my kids what a great/easy way to cook rice. Thank you, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound like the perfect way to make rice! Too bad I just gave it up, for the time being anyway.

      Delete
  5. California likes to gouge their residents and visitors all the time into paying more for less. Time to move.
    We try to stay within reach of anything we are cooking on the Stove. Saves waste and money.
    Garage Sales are a lot of work but a fun way of purging. Think that Less is More. You don't own your STUFF it owns you.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was just across the "kitchen line". Don't know why I didn't set the timer! You are so right about the STUFF.

      Delete
  6. I do the same thing,,, that's why the food cooking fairy godmother got me a cooking timer⏲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha Ed ... I need a fairy godmother!! Truthfully, I was too busy talking to remember to set mine! BAD Nancy.

      Delete