Monday, April 8, 2019

Double Check Those Dates

What a beautiful day it was yesterday.  The sun was shining and I think it got all the way up to 75 degrees.  Too bad I spent all of it indoors.  That was my plan, and I did pretty good at it.

Mr. Cooper and I snoozed on and off between playing with the "baby" and stitching the binding on that quilt.  He minds very well when I tell him it's time to stop, but the baby doesn't get far.  He's afraid Jessie will steal it, so it becomes his pillow.
With the quilt finished around noon, I thought I might get back to embroidery.  Thanks to Cindy Warner for all the instructions, I'm back in the groove working on a Christmas quilt.  Yeah, it's a little early in the year, but if I don't start now, I'm liable not to finish.
When lunchtime rolled around, I was determined to get rid of some of that huge turkey I cooked upon my return.  Remember the $75 box-o-turkey?  There was one left.  That's a LOT of turkey.  How about a casserole.  Super simple, a box of rice-a-roni with turkey thrown in at the end.  

It just happens I saw the date on the bottom of the box.  It was two years past the pull date.  Hmmmm I think not.  Now what can I do?  How about turkey spaghetti?  At least the spaghetti still had a few days before expiration.  I was SURE I had a bottle of sauce in the cupboard somewhere.  I was trying desperately NOT to go to the store.

AHA ... found it.  I opened the jar ... it didn't smell bad.  Lucky for me I spotted the date just before dumping it onto the turkey.  FIVE YEARS past the pull date!!!  Good grief!  No thank you ... I'm not up for a bout of ptomaine.  What to do now?  I ended up having a very sad turkey taco.  Sometimes I really have to scrounge for food around here.

Cooper kept me occupied most of the afternoon.  He takes his ball under my sewing table and puts it in the box.  Then he barks until I throw it.  At least it's within reach.  He comes back and puts it in the box again ... and again ... and again.  Silliest dog I've ever had.
Here's the first of nine reindeer to be sewn into a quilt for Christmas.  Then I'll start work on a southwest kokopeli type, or maybe State Birds.  The options are endless.
Sadly, I fell asleep on the couch and missed the Giants baseball game.  No great loss, they lost again.  Early this morning I'm off for an eye appointment to get new glasses, along with a long list of stops, including food.  That second turkey taco I had for dinner didn't go down as well as the first one.







6 comments:

  1. LOL, at least you had something to eat, i like trotted our food inventory as much as possible, The best before dates are usually just a guideline, if not too over due should be fine if it smells and tastes ok. But better safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too worried about things like cereal, but anything wet is suspect in my book. Weevils are in great abundance here. I'm not much on extra protein!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a fun Christmas quilt. At least your dogs like to play...Bubba 'use' to play with a chew toy for about 5 minutes, then he gave up. Skruffy never seemed to get into very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly they both like to play. Jessie will go find a toy if I play with Cooper very much. Trouble is, she acts like she's going to rip your arm off.

      Delete
  3. Some things and just a few months over an expiry date means nothing. Like in the warehouse we worked in, FIFO (first in first out) is a good practice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True ... and I've used some outdated things before. I would just rather not push the limits of chemistry! LOL

      Delete