Monday, April 29, 2019

A Nite Of Blurry Pictures

It was a fund raiser for the Boys and Girls Club.  The Elks Lodge donates money for an entire table, then tries to get members to attend.  I'm thinking they usually pick members that have lots of money for the auctions they have to raise even MORE money.  Sadly, they picked me.

Just back from a week in Pismo Beach with their RV, Karen and Mark barely had time to change clothes.  I'm certainly glad they did, otherwise there would only have been two people sitting at our table.  By the way, Mark is the one who works on my diesel truck and repairs electrical wiring I have torn out of the socket.  He's also one of my Bingo cohorts!!

His lovely wife Karen is the reason I'm trying to eat the way of Keto.  It seems to work for her.  I of course want it to work in three days.
Playing around at the table is Wil, another of my Bingo pals.  That's it .... just the four of us at a table for eight due to circumstances beyond our control.  Dinner was chicken and tri-tip, cooked to perfection by our own Sheriff Warnke.  When he found out how much the caterer was going to charge, he volunteered to cook for free for a crowd of over 100.  
I'm thinking possibly it was all the wine being passed around, because the pictures got more blurry as the night went on.
We wandered around bidding on the silent auction items ... nothing I was really interested in except the ukulele and this cake.  Also a blurry picture when I got bumped from behind, doused with wine, and almost fell INTO the cake!  

Desert auctions are amazing.  The first apple pie went for $100.  That was the starting bid for the second and so on.  This cake sold for $400.  Uhmmmmm NO.  Besides, I'm trying really hard at the Keto thing, and sweets are NOT on the menu.  Too bad for me.
Here's the cookbook Karen recommended I try.  The lemon cheesecake bars finally made their way into my cemetery.  The recipe called for 1/2 cup almond flour and 1/2 cup melted butter for the crust. Those that cook, know this turned into soup with not near enough flour.  I added more, but honestly, nothing would have made this better except sugar.

The filling of jello, cream cheese and lemon juice wasn't much better.  I think I should try something else.  On the other hand, the noodle-less lasagne was pretty darn good.  I mean really, hamburger, Italian sausage, cheese and no-sugar-added marinara sauce.  What's not to like?
I followed that up with a cauliflower casserole.  I like cauliflower if you put enough of something on it.  This something was sour cream, cream cheese, onions and bacon.  I could have eaten the entire pan.  Instead, I've had it twice a day for the last two days.  Portion control Mark told me at the dinner table with our plates piled two inches high!!!
Three full days of Keto eating with only two "oops" involved, the tortillas and one small marshmallow. I just MAY have lost half a pound.  I ditched all the bread and carbs in the house, which seems to be the easy part.  It's the sugar I miss.  Hopefully I can come up with something quickly to replace those marshmallows.

The good news is I didn't win a single silent auction bid, keeping my wallet intact.  Several of the items did not sell at all.  Things like a one night stay in Vegas with dinner for $2,500.  I think they forgot where they were.  This is small town Broke-ville.   The cakes and pies went to people like the auto dealership owner who can write it off.  I need that money to buy appetizers and dishes for the upcoming three RV rallies.  

D-Day is coming very soon!!






12 comments:

  1. Been there with the blurry pictures, very frustrating! The desserts look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually pretty careful about pictures of CAKE!!

      Delete
  2. Many of those functions forget who the participants are that are supporting them. When times are good it is easy to get caught up in the spirit of things but being retired and on a limited budget things are different. We prefer to keep our wallets shut at some silent auctions as well.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your Keto Diet.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right. One of my friends spent much more money than she could afford!!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a fun evening at the auction and nice to go home with you wallet intact. Good luck with your Keto and do remember moderation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh .... you said that bad word .... moderation! Okay, I'll try.

      Delete
  4. When eating keto, every oops puts you back at day one. I read that it's kind of like marriage, if you cheat it won't work. Strawberries have become my go to sweet. Two or three is enough to satisfy my sweet tooth. When they offer a dinner buffet here, I fill my plate with just meat. No potatoes. No desert. Just meat. (My Dave is very willing to eat my desert!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's NOT fair .... he gets all the desserts. Interesting concept though ... I'll try hard not to cheat!

      Delete
  5. Here is a low-carb (should be good for Keto) desert we do.

    1 small box sugar free jello
    3 oz cream cheese
    2 tbls heavy cream

    Mix jello with 1 cup boiling water, then add 1/2 cup cold water, put in fridge to let set. Then in blender add cream cheese and whipping cream, mix to soften, then add jello and mix till it looks like a chiffon like mixture, put in fridge. 1/4 to 1/3 cup is a serving, and it satisfies the sweet flavor our low carb diet lacks. We figure a serving is 2-3 carbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's a recipe I can stick to .... I'll make some!

      Delete
  6. Hey Nancy, you don't have to give up sweets to go keto. Use Splenda or Stevia or your favourite substitute. Good for you and your persistence. Once the weight starts dropping, it goes fast.
    Dave above has the same creamy Jell-o that I make all the time. We love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just discovered stevia. Really hoping this works!!

      Delete