Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Up The Ladder, Down The Ladder

As soon as the rain quit yesterday, I had the ladder out of the garage and ready for work.  As you can see, it's not quite tall enough for the work at hand.  To be comfortable, it needs to be at least two feet taller.  I got in a little exercise though as I carefully climbed every step.

I was rather surprised when I crawled up the first time to find the waterfall gutter relatively clean.  Perched close to the top step, I finally realized just how much roof area drains into two long lengths of gutter.  It's a LOT!!

We got so much rain in so short a time, the gutter simply couldn't handle that many gallons without overflowing.  It doesn't help that it's practically level either.  Still, I drug the ladder all the way around the back, checking every few feet.
This is all I got in the way of gutter trash.  Hardly a drop in the bucket, so to speak, considering there's probably 150 feet of gutters.  There is one more long length I need to check out in front, but directly underneath are flowerbeds.  

There's no way I'm putting a ladder in that soft dirt and crawling to the top.  What I really need is a drone to do a fly by and check it out.  What a great new business!!  Let me drone your gutters!!  Hopefully it will be sunny and warm for the next few days so the beds will dry and I can check the last waterfall.  
All the while I was outside, Jonathan was trying to get a little attention.  He was screaming for the kitty kitty kitty and generally rocking out, discoing around his cage.  The little trouble maker chewed up his stick in no time and pulled the paper from the floor up through the bottom of the cage, making mincemeat of it.  

Then, just for fun, he somehow finagled the catch pan on the very bottom, all the way out of the cage.  I came in to a lovely mess on the floor.  You can tell by his expression he's saying it wasn't him!!  Yes, birds can be little brats!
I've been playing hermit for the last few days .... it costs me less that way .... but it's time to head out for some groceries and pick up a quilt that's been completed, as well as it's Magic Kingdom time again.  

In the meantime, I've finished the binding on the last quilt.  Minnie Mouse has arrived!!  Pictures tomorrow.





8 comments:

  1. Nice to get those gutters checked out and to find they were not too bad after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was ... a relief I don't have to clean ALL of them!!

      Delete
  2. Better to find a near empty gutter than a full one and you know now why it overflowed. Looks like lovely sunshine today so you will have the front ones checked soon.
    Love the picture of the little brat, Jonathan. "Not me" is in every household but we can never find him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a Not Me too?? I always thought it was the men, not the critters! LOL

      Delete
  3. Glad to read you survived checking out the gutters.
    Concerning yesterday's post. Back in the day chain letters came to an end at our house and now, like you, those messages come to die when the come to me...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah ..... I remember those chain letters! I think I got three of them. Something like send on $10 to each of 5 people and add your name to the bottom of the list? I never got a dime!! Course I never sent out the money, either!!

      Delete
  4. Even after the ground dries up put boards under the ladder's legs to prevent them from sinking and sending you scrambling.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the sunny weather.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea Rick. I was wondering how I would do that without tilting the ladder. Thank you!!!

      Delete