Sunday, December 16, 2018

Real Men Eat Quiche

Yesterday morning was not a bearer of good news.  I received a text message from my neighbor (the only one in the area I have spoken to, and mostly by text) that the neighbor at the far end of our tiny subdivision had his truck broken in to.  It's a big truck ... the kind that moves six cars at a time on the trailer.  I know I should move ..........

I suppose that's not surprising, since this once lovely little town has become a twin of it's larger neighbor Merced, drug capital of the Central Valley.  Maybe this kind of thing has always gone on, we just never had social media to keep up.

A few minutes later, HIS neighbor discovered his car had also been vandalized.  They all have filled their garages up with stuff and park their vehicles outside.  That's a mistake I think.  The location of their houses doesn't help either ... very close to a quick-get-away mainstream road.

I'll be setting my alarm every night now.  In an effort to let everyone sleep in the early morning hours, I taped sticky notes to the door handle, upon your advice.  I'm happy to say it WORKED this morning!!!

Next up ..... my version of a breakfast I'm SURE the men will love.  Quiche.  I've never made it before, mostly because it involves too much work on the crust.  Who wants to spend two hours cooking breakfast?

I found the solution while walking the aisles of our tiny little Mexican food market.  Pre-made crusts.  I've tried the ones in the box, but they never seem to work well.  Tough would be a good description. That's when I saw it ... a pre-made FROZEN crust.  Just fill it.  How easy is that?
It can't be any worse than the boxed ones, so I bought three.  Little did I know there are actually TWO in each package.  These happen to be Pillsbury brand deep dish.  I filled it with one pound of bacon and one whole onion sliced thin, topped with two cups of Jarlsberg Swiss cheese.  I threw in a little cheddar for color.  I then filled it up with an egg/cream mixture.

The moment of truth.  Even though I forgot to cover it with foil, this came out FABULOUS.  Why didn't I know about this before?  I suppose because we never had quiche on the ranch.  That crust was tender and SO flakey.  I'm never making pie crust again!  Hopefully the RV group will like it as well. 
Now that I've restocked the kitchen, I'll make a second batch of cinnamon sticky rolls.  That will probably be it for pre-cooking the rally.  I can't even fit another cookie in my freezer, let alone big pans.

Time to start thinking about loading up the rig.  Of course it needs a bath first and I'm always going the opposite direction of the truck wash.  Fuel will be next, then the loading will begin.  

In other good news ... my new gardeners are doing a bang-up job!!!!!  Hurrah!!!!!









8 comments:

  1. I started using the ready made Pillsbury pie crust several years ago, the one you have to fit in your own pie plate, after my sister-in-law said she used it and no one noticed the difference. All the time, not to mention the mess of rolling out pie crust just to say it was homemade is in the past...lol Your quiche sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used that one too Deb, but it even gets better. You can buy them already in a pan .... just fill them up. Those taste even better than the ones you form in the pan yourself!

      Delete
  2. I'm lucky that my pie crusts usually turn out flaky but this is good to know if I'm in a pinch for time. Thanks!
    Btw, if you Google Crustless Spinach Quiche you can avoid the carbs too. It is always at our family gatherings, one of my sisters bakes it. Also, hmmm, Bill must not be a REAL man.....he doesn't eat quiche. :) Good thing he proves it in other ways!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a lucky girl if your pie crusts turn out flaky. That's a feat I've never been able to accomplish. I bet Bill would eat quiche when it's full to the brim with bacon!!

      Delete
  3. In my restaurant I baked at least 5-6 pies a day and used frozen crusts from my restaurant supplier. Sold a lot of pies, made quiche, and even meat pies were always a hit.
    You quiche looks wonderful. I have also made a breakfast casserole,(my Recipe blog) even easier and so very tasty I think you would enjoy as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something tastier about a pie shell that I didn't have to make! lol I'll try your breakfast casserole!! Thank you!!

      Delete
  4. “In an effort to let everyone sleep in the early morning hours, I taped sticky notes to the door handle, upon your advice. I'm happy to say it WORKED this morning!!!...” so what did the sticky notes say. You must have posted about this before I became a subscriber. Your recipes always sound so good. Mine, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sticky notes all over the house. I even put one on the door that said ALARM so I would turn it off before opening the door, but I still forgot at 4:00 Thanksgiving morning. Now I stuck that note to the door handle in my bedroom, so when I open the door, I feel the crinkly paper and remember exactly what I'm supposed to do before anything else!!! Btw I only post GOOD recipes, not the other 8 or 9 that failed! LOL

      Delete