Tuesday, December 25, 2018

A Visit From St. Nicholas???

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not puppy or mouse.
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes St. Nicholas soon would be there.
The puppies were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of chew sticks danced in their heads.
And me in my jammies, my robe and my cap,
Had just taken a pill for a long winters nap.
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
Puppies sprang from their bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the door they flew like a flash, 
as I tripped on squeaky balls left in my path.

The moon on the breast of the new fallen frost, 
Gave a lustre of midday to chew toys lost.
When what to my wondering eyes did appear,
But a big black cat with a decided sneer.
With a yowl and a hiss, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment he wasn't St. Nick.
More rapid than eagles his paws they did move,
as Cooper and Jessie got into their groove.
WAIT Cooper .... BACK Jessie ... No chasing the kittens
I frantically yelled as I pulled on my mittens.
With fur sticking straight up into the air,
and a tail the size of a grizzly bear,
I watched kitty up to the fence top fly,
with a scream that would make a baby cry.

The puppies they raced around and around,
Until back to the house they finally bound.
They were covered in stickers from heat to foot,
As I did my best to make them stay put.
I drug out my clippers, my scissors, my brushes, 
To clean up the mess of puppy bulrushes. 

As I peered through the windows to check on the damage,
I spotted the kitty trying to manage.
As he leapt through the bushes, he gave me a yowl
and flew out of sight with one last HOWL!!

Two hours later with stickers piled high,
The puppies slept as I gave a big sigh.

A visit from St. Nick?  It gave me a fright.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.





20 comments:

  1. Excellent, a great chuckle I have had. Merry Christmas Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bill ... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. Love it and a Merry Christmas to you and the crew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it
    May your holiday be bright

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed .... as bright as my fireplace will allow!

      Delete
  4. Perfect. Merry Christmas Nancy, to you and your best friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all thank you Peter ... Merry Christmas to you and your family.

      Delete
  5. I love it, great sense of humor. Have a very Merry Christmas.
    JWM

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so clever, Nancy! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol ... I hope you two have a great Christmas!

      Delete
  7. Very well done. Next you'll be writing for Hallmark.
    Wishing your Entire Family a Merry Christmas!
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to play around with a classic, especially when it happens often!! I've no idea why the cats like my back yard.

      Delete
  8. Very good Nancy...Merry Christmas to you and your furballs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Jonathan, I nearly forgot you....furballs and feathered friend.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Dave. Merry Christmas to you and Marcia and YOUR fur babies!!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you two are in a warm happy place for Christmas.

      Delete
  10. That was terrific! Thank you for the chuckle, even though I'm a day late to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete