Monday, December 31, 2018

Residual Effects Of The Fires

You wouldn't think when a fire occurs way up in Northern California, it would affect us much, other than maybe a little smoke.  I hate to admit it, but I've lived in this valley on and off for over .... nah, I'm not going to say ... but for a VERY long time.

I have never seen such devastating fires like this last year.  Personally, I blame the politicians and environmentalists that refused to let those who work the land burn off the underbrush.  We did it for years in the high country where we ran cattle (mostly to clear dead trees) and there were no huge conflagrations.

At any rate, I'm certainly feeling the effects of it here.  Just look at all the junk streaming off the roof of my rig.  Of course much of it is from the sun's rays that cause oxidation of the roof coating, but it's never EVER been anywhere near this bad.

To make matters worse, it sticks like glue.  You really have to brave the heights of a ladder in order to clean it off, and even then you never get it all.  This was my task yesterday.
Even at the top of a ladder, I wasn't tall enough to get it really clean.  By the way, do YOU have one of those motion sensor lights over your door?  Did your lenses disintegrate like mine?  TWICE?  Yes, I replaced them once (at the same time as everyone else who complained they didn't even last one year), but alas, they are completely broken out.  I was wondering why the light stayed on all the time.

More evidence of crud from the roof flowing down the side.  This isn't even the worst side.  Ugh ... I wasn't looking forward to this at all.  I'm hoping to get it washed and waxed in Yuma, but am not sure the Park where I am staying will allow it.  
Here's where all my RVing friends come in .... PLEASE PLEASE!!  Either I posted something somewhere (which of course I will never find again) or someone ELSE posted something about something somewhere!!  Just kidding.  But really, there was a conversation about roof coatings.  

The nice gentleman said he washed his roof, let it dry, then applied two coats of elastomeric coating with a paint roller.  I actually did a screen shot so I would have the info, but of course cannot find it now.  Does anyone have any information?

I know it would help if I knew the TYPE of roof I have, fiberglass or something else.  Apparently it makes a difference on what product you use.  

So my friends, this will be the first big project when I arrive in Arizona, or at least when the weather warms up a little.  This just HAS to be done!!  Maybe someone knows someone who knows someone.  Actually, I could use a little help, so maybe there is even someone who does this sort of thing.

Not nearly as clean as I would like, but it's the best I can do.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to really scrub the top, so it's going to happen again with the next rain.  Double and triple RATS!!
Yeah, you caught me.  This picture is from last year because I forgot to take one of the finished product after washing.  It's too dark to get one now, so I'll post it tomorrow.

In the meantime, I hope everyone has fun New Year's Eve party plans as we celebrate 2019.  Who thought we would ever make it past Y2K?  My big celebration will consist of a glass of wine in front of the fireplace snuggling with my two kids.

CHEERS to a GREAT 2019!!!



12 comments:

  1. Remember, Blue Beacon Truck Wash...they have tall ladders and a sprayer attached to their roof. Tell them what you want and they will do it, and I think there is one on your way to the Rally. I don't think you can put anything on your roof that would not have run-off like that, and my guess is that your roof is fiberglass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing fiberglass also and I found a Blue Beacon between Phoenix and Tucson. YAY!!

      Delete
  2. Sorry, I can't help with the roof but Bill may have a comment.
    I'm sure you did a great job with the parts you could get to. What a shame about the fires, damaging effects all across the land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about "great job", but it's certainly better than it was!!

      Delete
  3. Nancy, I agree with Dave on the Blue Beacon Truck wash, we have used them and they do a great job. If you don't find one on the way to your rally, there is one on Hwy 10 between Blythe and Quartzsite. Not sure what kind of roof you have, but before using products, I would like to hear from someone that has and know what it was like after 3 or 4 years, as I have heard they can dry and crack, leaving you with a real mess. We have a rubber roof which I wash and treat every year.
    Have a safe trip and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND THE KIDS! Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of a cracking problem. I'll put it out there and see what I can come up with. Happy New Year to you, Patsy and Clemson. I'm definitely hoping to catch up with you!!

      Delete
  4. I am think you may have a fibreglass hard surface roof, so no coating available for that, We had an aluminum roof the same here, just wash it regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay ... rats on the fiberglass! But washing it means I'm up on the roof, which I would rather avoid. I need a new plan.

      Delete
  5. Well looks like I have to chime in here again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,blue beacon truck wash will save you all that aggravation...... and you don't need a ladder ,,,,
    You tell them oxidization off the roof spray wax roof and sides and flash your aluminum rims you drive-in go sit on YOUR couch and play with the puppies until they're done,,,, you drive out and pay them
    you do that two times a year
    When I had my Big truck that was a once a month must do,,
    A man And that didn't count the times that I washed it,,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They spray wax??? Well heavens to Betsy! I'll stop in on my way South for sure!!

      Delete
  6. Most of the parks where we have stayed allow a mobile service to wash RVs as long as they don't use the park's water. That might be your best bet. I am pretty sure you have a fiberglass roof, since that's what they install on Tiffins. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Carol. I didn't know about the fiberglass roof. It sure oxidizes terribly. I even had the crew wax the roof a few years ago and it still didn't help. I'm hoping to catch up with them when I'm in Yuma.

      Delete