Monday, December 3, 2018

On The Mend With Cheesecake?

So ....... as you guessed it, I'm still sick.  I was awake at 3:30 and figured I might as well get up.  It's easier to cough and sneeze sitting up than laying down in bed.  I hate being sick.
I don't want to jinx it, but I did feel MUCH better yesterday, almost like a REAL person and not a sneezing machine.  

Prior to this lovely cold visiting me, I thought to make my famous white chocolate cheesecake for Christmas.  Trouble was, you can only get the wonderful chocolate at Trader Joe's, a mere 45 miles away.   

I opted for a variety from Safeway, only 30 miles away.  Once made, I couldn't remember if I needed to bake it in a hot water bath or not, and of course there was no mention on the recipe from my Chef friend.  

I can now tell you, the answer is YES.  I thought it looked a little "heavy" when it came out of the oven after 1-1/2 hours at 250.  Once cooled, it went in the freezer.  Being sick, my brain wasn't really working well when I decided it just might cure my cold.

I was wrong ... it didn't cure anything.  It was in fact so heavy it would have broken my foot had I dropped it.  It had no white chocolate taste, although I chock that up to being sick.  My taste buds are pretty much on vacation.  If it was swimming in cherry pie filling, it might be edible.    Maybe I should try Overnight Oats instead.

THIS is my thank you for shopping Walmart.  A free gift if you will.  Overnight oats?  Never heard of it.  I read the directions.  Pour in milk (or milk substitute) ... I'm not kidding, that's what it said ... and place in the refrigerator overnight for a wonderful chilled breakfast in the morning.  

Who the heck wants a COLD CHILLED breakfast?  Certainly not me.  I want something hot and steamy.  I'm pretty sure this product will be an epic fail.  What were they thinking?
Truthfully, it probably wouldn't matter what I ate.  I couldn't even taste the grilled cheese sandwich I made yesterday.

I'm pretty sure coughing and the accompanying sore stomach muscles are on their way.  I'm hoping it passes as fast as everything else did, since tomorrow is BINGO night.  I would call in sick, but the Castle Lawyer is out of town the entire month of December.  

I'll be back on the couch .... after I go buy a bottle of Vicks!








13 comments:

  1. You are battling that cold quite well I think you may be winning, calling in sick a real good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could call in sick, but alas, there is no one to cashier but me for the entire month of December. :-((

      Delete
  2. now now, don't be like Jane X going in to Bingo sick. Unless you have duct tape? teehee
    There must be another use for the overnight oats. Or you could still warm them up in the morning, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats:
      Add apples, cinnamon (and sweetener if desired) to a mason jar.
      Shake jar or mix and combine with a spoon. Seal and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight. ...
      Serve with more milk as desired and top with additional chopped apples and ground cinnamon before serving, if desired. (I would still warm them in the morning).

      Delete
    2. Isn't it much easier to use quick oats?? Actually that does sound pretty good if you have the time (or the energy) to mix it up the night before. I would definitely want it hot!

      Delete
  3. The horse is out of the gate now 🐎,,,, using Vicks now just makes you smell sick🐽
    Benadryl tablets three times a day. but Just be careful driving your 🛴

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have children's Benadryl that work really well. So far I've just been trying not to use anything. Ugh ......

      Delete
  4. Like Patsy said you could just warm the Overnight Oats and add flavouring.
    Unless you are going to be wearing a Mask you should be staying home.
    Hope you are feeling well soon.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mask is a good alternative ... maybe even my ski mask will work! Hahahaha

      Delete
  5. Bottle of Vicks or bottle of Vodka???? I think I mentioned it before but the Original Listerine, yep that yucky tasting stuff, clears up colds and sore throats for me every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been using the Listerine ... nasty stuff, but it seems to help.

      Delete
  6. That is just sad that cheesecake did not help.
    I have to add my two cents...a Hot Toddy it might not cure anything but it couldn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think cheesecake would be the perfect cure. Maybe I should try ice cream instead!!

      Delete