Thursday, December 27, 2018

Clean Up On Aisle One!!!

Thanks to the motorhome microwave, I'm at least able to reheat and repeat my wonderful Christmas dinner.  I have to say I'm appreciating both the food and the microwave much more than in the past.

I'm pretty sure Jonathan hasn't appreciated his breakfast however.  His morning biscuits are kept frozen in the freezer.  So far cold scrambled eggs and hard muffins haven't gone over so well.

With the last of the quiche going away, I thought I might try something for breakfast for ME that could be reheated in the Breville oven.  I've been looking for a scone recipe and CRANBERRY scones sounded perfect.  Have you ever worked with these little jewels?  Aren't they just gorgeous?

Little did I know!!!  The recipe said to chop them on a cutting board.  The first three hit the floor before I even grabbed a knife.  One swipe with my beautiful kitchen cutter and half of them went flying through the air, ending up under the stove, under the fridge and rolling clear into the living room.

I finally ended up cutting them one at a time with a small paring knife, and even then some ended up on the floor.  What a mess that was!!
I finally got the dough patted out on a sheet pan, WAY too small for the three circles of dough, even though the directions said they would fit.  Into the oven they went.  I wish I knew exactly what the temperature was.  I have a thermometer inside the oven, but who knows if it is correct.  I jacked it up to 400 degrees in the hopes of getting 350.

Lightly browned, I removed them from the oven and waited for them to cool.  Some jam would be nice, but instead, I smothered one in butter.  I took a bite.  Instantly I knew ..... cemetery material ... not exactly raw, but rather gummy in the middle.

I actually tried to bake them a little longer, hoping to salvage SOMETHING.  At least the cranberries were delicious, even if they did have a little dirt on them from the floor.  I washed them, really I did.

Those big crows in my back yard think they are wonderful.  After all, they eat garbage out of the neighbors cans all the time.  I don't even think a microwave would help these babies.
Not to worry, I received these beautiful little petit fours along with a Merry Christmas wish from my only nephew.  Truthfully, I was expecting some of those wonderful homemade marshmallows his wife makes, but I love these too.  

I have to admit, I was a LITTLE concerned when I saw something about WARNING ... CANCER on the top of the box.  Wait .... is that for real????  I ate a couple, thinking they tasted really good, if a little stale.  I ate a few more and a couple more after that.  BIG mistake!!  My stomach instantly did some big flip flops when the last one went down.  

I double and triple checked the box, to find a small note saying these were SUGAR FREE.  Maybe that's why they didn't sit well.  Why on earth would you make such a decadent treat SUGAR FREE??   

Not giving up, nor looking a gift horse in the mouth again, I'm going to try one more time, sampling just one or two.  If that doesn't work, the crows are going to have a Merry Christmas!
I'm off today in search of an Interstate battery for the Jeep.  I really don't want to pay an overpriced  dealer to install it, so if I can find one, I'll have my Bingo buddy (who is on speed dial now) put it in for me.  

I've actually washed half the rig ... she looks beautiful ... and sanitized the water tank.  It's been fun with temperatures at 34 in the morning, going up to 50 in the afternoon, helped along by a VERY leaky hose.  Time to start thinking about packing up.






14 comments:

  1. Have you tried Craisins in cooking? We "use" to use them in many dishes...Marcia's Grits, in Oatmeal, in Cookies, in muffins...always works great. Of course, not on the diet now because they have 33 carbs per 1/4 cup, but no fat and only 130 calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat them all the time, but I wasn't sure they would work in the scones. Next time I'll try them instead of the roller derby I had on my counter.

      Delete
  2. Woops! I'm sure we've had one of our creations end up on the floor at one time or another. Sometimes the 3 second rule works but in this case, maybe better it didn't work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup .... 3 second rule, only it took me 10 seconds to FIND them!!

      Delete
  3. I never have any luck using the 3 second rule. One of my dogs is just too quick. You would think he has never been fed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I totally understand that Peter. Luckily cranberries don't have a "good" smell or they all would have disappeared.

      Delete
  4. If you go to an Auto Zone outlet they will install your new battery for free.
    Hope to be reading of your adventures soon.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True ... but the batteries are high priced, as are other things I've found there. Today's blog will explain.

      Delete
  5. Even a battery from Walmart will be installed free. Having fun with those cranberries, I usually use them for cranberry sauce. easy that way just cook them. yum..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True about Walmart ... I just checked on them yesterday.

      Delete
  6. Cutting Cranberries with the knife is like cutting a soft mushy mango
    Go to Walmart and buy a slab and chop
    And when you do chop them frozen
    Electric slicer an dice works good to
    https://www.lelong.com.my/food-garlic-slap-chop-dice-mince-chopper-tv-slap-chop-onqueen-170892059-2019-11-Sale-P.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I probably should have used my cuisinart. Much less messy that way!!

      Delete
  7. For me, sugar free = laxative. Something to do with sugar oils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably what happened to me Linda. Whatever the reason, I'm not eating any more!!

      Delete