Thursday, December 20, 2018

Minnie Mouse Is In The House

I bet you didn't know that every quilt has a name.  I didn't either until I started having them quilted.  There is always something on the pattern package, like Four Square or Nine Patch.  Most however have exact names that you are supposed to use.  Who knew?

Tres Graphic, Lexington Sampler, Cheese and Crackers, Cracker Jack, Rippling Star and Nina are just a few I've made.  Weird names, for sure.  My quilter is always asking me the name so she can keep it in her computer should I ever need to duplicate it.  I always have to make up something dumb because I never pay attention to the name.

A couple of days ago, that changed.  I just finished this quilt called Simply Delightful.  It seems to me the names never suit the quilt, so I renamed this one Minnie Mouse.  The backing is red with white polka dots (hard to see here) and just looks like everything Minnie Mouse to me.  Unlike some I've made, this one is a keeper.
On the other hand, THIS one is called Cemetery Quilt.  Can you guess why?  It's going the way of my cooking disasters ..... to the cemetery.  It's horrible!!!  It's called Where The Wise Things Are.  Well they certainly aren't in the instructions of this quilt.  The colors and design are just beyond words. 

It's not all sewn together here, which is why it's wonky.  Luckily I stuck it up on the wall before stitching the rows.  I instantly named it the Cemetery Quilt because that's where it's going to end up.  

My quilt cemetery is under my sewing table.  Boxes and boxes of leftover pieces, plus a couple of other disasters destined to be covered in dust and dirt for eternity.  They will never see the light of day.

Good news however .... I absolutely love the owls.  They are very elegant and deserve better.  I took them to the quilt shop many miles away and asked for suggestions.  When the quilt store clerk is more shocked than you when looking at the picture, you KNOW you've named it correctly.

Thank heavens for quilt shop clerks.  She was able to come up with a solution for the owls AND a replacement fabric for this one.  After all, she said I've already sewn together 196 triangles, I might as well come up with SOMETHING to finish it out.  It cost me $120 for the fix and I will end up with TWO quilts.  I suppose that's better than my dirt solution.  
That of course, remains to be seen.  I'll let you know how it goes!  

It's going to be a busy few days, as dinner after dinner after breakfast is consumed.  Lawyer night at the Elks is tonight, followed by the Bingo Christmas Party tomorrow, followed by pancakes and ebelskivers (whatever those are) at the cooking school on Saturday.  

I can see it coming, so I bought a HUGE bottle of Tums!!!!!  I'll be in my sewing room.




8 comments:

  1. Minnie Mouse turned out to be a better story than I expected and the quilt is definitely a keeper. It is beautiful, great job!
    The owl quilt will be lovely too, I like the new name too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully BOTH owl quilts will be nice, but I'm not holding my breath! LOL

      Delete
  2. I feel like I never quite catch up to you...:) Always enjoy reading about the Magic Kingdom, I used to work our church bingo many years ago and your stories bring back giggles...bingo players are a breed all their own.
    Love your quilts wish I had the patience. I see why you named the top one Minnie Mouse. When I emptied my sewing room this summer I found many projects that had gone to die in a box...:) hope your cute owls escape that fate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right Deb .. Bingo players are definitely different! So serious about everything! I'm sure the owls will survive, but I'm not so sure about the rest of it!

      Delete
  3. Any quilt is a good one in my books. but then what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just look at the good side of taking Tums. Look at all the extra calcium your going to get. *smile*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Peter .... that must be why I have such strong bones!

      Delete