Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Fudge and Fondue

Feed a cold ..... starve a fever ..... isn't that it?  Surprisingly, I haven't been feeling so terrible that I didn't want to do SOMETHING, and of course that something is COOK.  In between that I've been on the couch wrapped in an old electric blanket.  Miss Jessie loves it.  Her favorite spot is underneath, completely covered up.

I may have mentioned (honestly my head is rather muddled) about the fudge I was going to make.  Talk about an easy recipe ... there are only TWO ingredients.  Three if you count the walnuts I added.

This just might make that perfect Christmas gift for your neighbor.  One 12 ounce package of Nestle chocolate chips and one can of sweetened condensed milk.  That's it!!  Instant fudge!

Heat on the stove VERY slowly, which is why you see the pan off the heat, until the chips are completely melted.  Quickly stir in nuts if you wish, then pour it into a pan lined with either parchment paper or foil.
Cool in the fridge, then cut into squares.  How simple is that?  I have to say, and this actually was made BEFORE I lost my taste buds, it's pretty darn good!!  Super simple!!
Remember the Walmart internet shopping trip?  Just a note here .... if you think that will keep you from making impulse buys, you would be incorrect.  Just before you hit the ORDER button, it asks if you need anything else ... followed by lots of pretty pictures.  

Totally on impulse, I clicked on Pillsbury biscuits.  What was I thinking?  I hate these things.  Maybe I was hoping they had changed in the last 20 years.  They have not.  Although I love the crispy outside, the flaky inside is still the same gooey stuff that won't soak up butter, letting it run all down your hand.

The taste wasn't anywhere near what I remembered, but then I do have a bad cold.  These are definitely burying material.  Or maybe I'll just throw them out back for the birds.
What about the fondue?  Well ..... while perusing the website of Yankee Hill Cooking School, I spotted their next class .... FONDUE.  I have very fond memories of going to the Jamestown Hotel (at least I think that's where it was) and having fondue with the Chance family many MANY moons ago.  It was fabulous!

By the time I signed up, I was fourth on the waiting list.  These classes are VERY popular, mostly because Chef Ron is a hoot.  I called yesterday just to see where I was on the list.  Chef Ron himself called me back and said YOU'RE IN!!!  

I'm so excited!!!  It's probably a skill I will never use the rest of my life, but it will be fun to learn the ropes anyway.  Maybe I can surprise my RV group with a tasty treat.  To be honest, it will surprise ME if I can create a tasty treat of fondue!!  So dig out those old pots you have laying around!!

I actually felt good enough yesterday to finish up the January RV rally paperwork, including rig numbers, maps and all the stuff to allow 20 rigs to seamlessly enter the fairgrounds and be parked with a large party spot.  Check that off the to-do list.

This morning I'm coughing a bit, stuffy head and all that, but think I'll be good to go to Bingo this afternoon.  My plan is to get them through the first wave of 120 people, then sneak out the back door.  I'll let you know how it goes.

SNEEZE!!!!!  Bless me!!  Cough, cough .......






6 comments:

  1. Have you tried the Pillsbury *frozen* biscuits? (They come in bags in the freezer section). Once I tried those, there was no going back to those sorry canned things or Bisquick or even scratch. So easy, no cleanup & quite tasty with great texture (read: they absorb butter & jam).

    They have about 4 different styles/flavors although I have only tried Southern & Buttermilk. We actually did a taste test between the 2 & there was a clear winner. Unfortunately I can't ever remember which won Aargh! But I do usually get the Buttermilk after agonizing every time & can vouch best for those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leilani, I didn't know Pillsbury even MADE frozen biscuits. I'll keep an eye out ... not that I really eat them much, but they made a good treat.

      Delete
  2. Now that sounds like and interesting fudge recipe and so easy I just might have to try it.
    The fondue class sure sounds like funning has been 40 years since I have has a fondue, always enjoyed them.
    Good luck with your cold and the bingo crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice recipe for fudge. Might even try it while we are away. Back home our Son and Daughter-in-law make different kinds for any occasion.
    Good luck with the Fondue Class.
    A Glutten for punishment just bring a mask to wear so you don't get anymore bugs and you don't share your's.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother used to make tons of candy every Christmas ... every kind imaginable. I think it's become a lost art.

      Delete