Sunday, September 23, 2018

Fifth Gear Is My Friend

Well surprise surprise!!  Everything went swimmingly well yesterday.  No excitement at all, no honking horns and no open bay doors.  Thank goodness!!

I left Hesperia's wonderful quiet parking lot and headed out, with my first obstacle being the dip in the road at the stop light.  It's a big one.  I got honked at again, but only because I was taking up two lanes, trying to cut across at an angle.  I think I scared the guy in the pickup truck I had to go around.

After going through stop light after stop light, I finally made it to Hwy 395, where I went through stop light after stop light.  I think they have even added a few more.  It's important to note that the highway construction on 395 near Kramer Junction looks exactly as it did three months ago.

From there, it was all downhill to Mohave where windmills have become the name of the game.  There are even more than the last time I was here.  Thankfully the traffic thinned out as I cruised through the valley.

Fifth Gear was my best friend as I climbed up and drove down hills without using the brakes at all, keeping a close eye on the temperature gauge.  It's a game I've played for many years with mountain driving.  The goal is to see just how long you can drive without using your brakes.  Course I cheated a little with the exhaust brakes.
When it came time to head down Tehachapi Pass I think I only used them three times.  Look Ma ... no brakes and NO traffic.  But what I DID see was lots of smog as I topped out.  Good grief!  It just gets worse and worse every year.  
I actually hung out in Hesperia until 10:00 before taking off.  I figured it would take me three hours to get to Bakersfield.  It's really hard to just sit there when you're ready to hit the road.  I made it in two and a half hours, hitting the Orange Grove RV Park at exactly the wrong time.

They were closed for lunch.  Another couple came in from Sacramento and stopped right behind me.  Luckily I noticed all these envelopes taped to the wall.  How cool is that?  They put our site number on the outside and a map inside showing you where to park.

It was fairly quiet except for that yappy little dog someone left outside their rig all night long.  I glanced out the window once to see this ..... MORE smog!  When we first moved to this valley in the dark ages, you could actually see the mountains every day.  Just look at it now!!  I'm already craving the clear skies of Arizona.  
My drive today to the big town of Hanford should only take two hours, maybe less because it's Sunday morning and traffic will be light.  There I will be involved in the WMHA RV Rally planning as little as possible.  It's always a problem when 40 Indian Chiefs get together to lead us 10 little Indians.

Of course there is the obligatory potluck dinner, so the first course of business will be to find a grocery store.  Instead of making a salad, I'm opting for frozen garlic bread sticks.  Pop them in the oven and I'm done.  I've no need to show off my cooking skills!!  




14 comments:

  1. You have been making good time and will soon have fun at the rally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ... not exactly a rally. It is a planning meeting for the REAL rally in January. Sot "quite" as much fun!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Everyone is telling me that ... I'm just not totally sure yet. If I sell my house I can never go back ... it will be too expensive!!

      Delete
  3. Nice to attend all these Rallies and help out with other Charities but like Jan said you need to move your Home Base. Spending more time there would reduce Pest Problems as well as giving you more time to explore the area.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that smog is mostly smoke. I talked to Julie last night and she saifthere is a fire very near her friend's house in Oakhurst. Who knows how many others in Calif.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very possible. I think this has been the worst year for fire.

      Delete
  5. I don't know if this is the best website for California fires, but it's the one I quickly found. Your smoggy horizon just might be the result of active fires, depending on wind direction and other factors. http://time.com/5353749/california-fire-map-2018/ Best regards. Llana Nixon - Houston, TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right Llana. It seems more of California catches on fire each year with all the smoke ending up in the closed valley. There's no smell of smoke, but it's sure thick.

      Delete
  6. You didn't waste anytime getting to Bakersfield and sounds like a pretty good drive with next to no brakes. :)
    Garlic breadsticks sound good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just cruised right along Patsy. Hardly any traffic this time around.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Too early for RIPE ones. The trees are LOADED however, with the branches almost hitting the ground. December and January will be awesome!!!

      Delete