LIZARD COUNTER: 19
What a gorgeous cool morning. I actually got to bring some of that outside air inside to cool the house down. Unfortunately I was too late to hit the road for a run. While taking these antibiotics, I'm not supposed to be in the sun ... and it was SUNNY1
Instead, I pruned my Cooper bush before Mr. Sun got up. By the way, the Angel statue is one I've had for years. This turned out to be the perfect place to put it. Mr. Cooper is not there, but it's the thought that counts.
Right off the bat ... well actually four hours later, I heated up the oven. I actually googled how to adjust the temperature on my oven. Sure enough, you can push a bunch of buttons and raise or lower it 35 degrees. Of course I did that AFTER I baked the sourdough.
I left the lid on longer this time so the crust would not be quite so crunchy and brushed it with butter. When I put it back in without the lid, I kind of overdid it. It's just a tad bit darker than necessary.
While waiting for it to cool, which takes about 2 hours, I heated up some birria tacos. Yes they are much better if you fry them in a pan, but what can I say, I was lazy. They were still VERY good.
Time for the slicer. It's not perfect, but it does a pretty good job. Half goes in the freezer (with paper in between to facilitate taking out one piece at a time) and half goes in the fridge for grilled cheese sandwiches!!
In spite of thinking the texture of this would be awful, I have to say the crumb is quite nice. Big holes let all the cheese melt out!! Here's the kicker though. I folded in 1/4 cup of dry dehydrated onion. JUST WOW!!! The smell ..... the FLAVOR!! It's amazing. Thank you friend Miranda for telling me the secret!! This is better than the garlic loaf.
With the last embroidered quilt still sitting on the sewing table, I finally got to work. This one doesn't have the white borders, but I'm not sure I like it any better. At any rate, I cut a piece of backing and will head to the quilt shop next week.
I FINISHED ALL THE QUILTS!! YAY!! No more Veteran quilts to make this year. Boy is that a relief. Yes I still have to bind them, but that shouldn't take too long.
I relaxed for the next hour watching Engineering Disasters. It's fascinating to see how and why buildings collapsed. Kitters was not impressed and just went to sleep, paws to tail.
That's when the doorbell rang. NO ONE ever goes to my front door. I peeked out to see the cutest little girl and her Dad. She gave me her spiel. We are selling popcorn to support BOY SCOUTS. I remembered that recently the Boy Scouts had allowed girls into their organization. I have a thought about that, but I kept it to myself. She had her little uniform on and was as sweet as could be.
I looked at the menu ... YIKES!! $20.00 per bag! I looked up at dad and he shrugged his shoulders. Wait right here I said ... I love supporting the Boy Scouts. And THAT is how I ended up with two bags of popcorn.
I told her thank you VERY much ... and I pointed at Dad ... GOOD JOB! ... because he just stood there and let her give the sales pitch. I'm pretty sure she was much younger than 11. Isn't that the age you can join? She looked like MAYBE 6.
I have to admit, there is a LOT of popcorn in that bag and it is DELICIOUS!!! I hope she sells more than anyone else!!
That ended my day. I crashed early in anticipation of an early rising to hear all about the President's Dinner at the lodge that I chose NOT to attend. I am not about pomp and circumstance.
I AM however, all about this boy traveling with me from one end of the U.S. to the other and back.

Your bread looks wonderful.
ReplyDeleteHappy Sunday my friend.
Frances:)
I love the photo of Kitters sleeping, Nancy! I love popcorn, especially the plain, butter salt! Your bread looks amazing, dear friend!
ReplyDeleteOh my, your sourdough looks delicious! Perhaps the little one was a Cub Scout. I too, question the "boy" scout thing. Can't things just stay like they were originally meant to be? Off my soap box now. Take care.
ReplyDeleteAs a Veteran, Nancy I wish to THANK YOU for all the work on the quilts, I know you are working hard on them.
ReplyDelete(PS the sourdough sure looks gooooood!)
$20!!!!!! That's highway robbery if you ask me! I understand why they HAVE to allow girls into Boy Scouts, which I think they just call it "Scouts" now....but come on...$20 for a bag of popcorn!!!
ReplyDelete